1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

The (planned) journey to 1.0 (Quotes from the dev Tiy)

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Garatgh Deloi, Jun 24, 2015.

1. Lazy Joe

Lazy Joe Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Dont know how they are gonna do it in starbound, the freezer in dont starve just make food last longer, but not "forever". Store too much food and dont consume them on time will result in haveing a fridge full of rotten food.

2. Garatgh Deloi

Garatgh Deloi Master Astronaut

Perhaps we should wait until we know how they are going too do it instead of jumping to the worst possible assumption right away? Even if it goes bad in cold storage they might have such a long timer on it that it's a non issue (like most frozen food irl).

Lintton and M_Sipher like this.
  3. TheFudgement

TheFudgement Ketchup Robot

Using freezers for storing food would be awesome!

...Currently I use one as a wardrobe.

4. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

Plus, you know, food might not rot on difficultly levels where hunger isn't a thing. Because there's gonna be difficulty levels where hunger isn't a thing.

Lintton likes this.
  5. Dartax

Dartax Title Not Found

When did this turn into Restaurant Story in space? lol Don't get me wrong , the ideas are interesting, but we're still talking about just one mechanic.

And this ^

:badger:

6. Lintton

Lintton Guest

This also suggests that multiple character playthroughs will NOT start on the same planet, as a starting player's farm would clearly affect survival mechanic implementation, among other things.

If I were to speculate, the spoil mechanic would be a result of food being in the players inventory, rather than in storage. There is no doubt that this will be tied to the farming/crops system(finally a use for dried out crop graphics?), and reintroduce the survival aspect of starbound many of us missed, hopefully in a way that keeps to the spirit of providing depth in different ways.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  7. eksynn

eksynn Giant Laser Beams

maybe food could be stackable to up to, say, 15 items instead of 1000. depending on the food anyway. i wouldn't want to stack 15 pies together > -> so for pies, it'd make sense for it to be only one... but i wouldn't mind stacking 15 apples in one "plastic bag" (aka, stack).

edit: and as they say, one bad apple spoils the rest. right? lol

however, stackable foods would not allow for individual rotting of said foods... so maybe only the foods that can rot would be the ones that aren't stackable, whilst everything else could be stackable with up to 15 food items per stack depending on the food item?
    maybe?

8. NeoFoxx000

NeoFoxx000 Phantasmal Quasar

Well, look on the bright side. As long as you have a farm going on a good rotation you can tell your customers that the meals are always cooked fresh with the freshest of grown ingredients. That's when you have the head chef, shirtless with butcher knife in mouth, wrestle a bear in the middle of the dining hall and you tell the customer(s) that the meat is also fresh! :rofl:

But I digress and back to the topic of fridges. Looking at the official wiki, there's three regular looking refrigerators and three fridge-like storage devices.Those first three are actual refrigerators so no explanation is needed. Those last three... they are storage devices litterally made of ice so I guess it can be used as a refrigerators, though the Ice Chest and Ice Sphere Chest doesn't have as much space as the main refrigerators and the Ice Machine. I guess they can be used as a make-shift mini-fridge. A few new lines of code may be needed, but I'm sure they can be turned into proper food storage devices.

Varixai likes this.
  9. Oberic

Oberic Spaceman Spiff

Not to mention that it may only be prepared foods that rot, since farming huge amounts of non-stacking veggies could be problematic.

10. TenTonBlue

TenTonBlue Void-Bound Voyager

Honestly the return of these features makes me super happy. I just logged on to play for the first time in a few months and I had forgotten temp and hunger were taken out. I literally finished getting my beginning core fragments hopped into my ship, released my pet, and accidentally threw my entire stack of steaks at my pet which was more than happy to consume the entire thing. I was like "oh crap, I need to go hunt for more food now". Then it hit me... and I was really disappointed.

After remembering that temp and hunger no longer matters I just felt like the survival aspect of the game, which I enjoy the most, was a joke. One of the items I saw I could make that I took note of was the hoe, and I had thought to myself, I need to start a farm at some point. Right now, there is no point in making a farm, or even for the food items altogether. I would just rather have the struggle of keeping up on bandages. I like planning, I like designing, I like strategizing. I agree the previous system didn't work, but with the new system, I hope it makes it challenging and interesting so I have to pay attention to what I'm doing. I want a reason to build a base, I want a reason to return back home periodically,I want a reason to have mass amounts of storage that my friends can come over and go "Holy **** why in gods name do you have that much storage?" and I can simply say, "Just in case".

I understand not everyone will enjoy the game this way, so yes I am all for it being an optional thing with difficulty. I just don't want it to be hardcore only where if you die, its game over, start from the beginning. I feel like a penalty or punishment for dying is a good reason to try to keep yourself alive, but I don't think "All Progress Gone" is fun.

As far as items being stackable, the inventories are huge, I don't really have a problem with this, but perhaps you could have 2 food slots that only stack to 5. This could be tweaked of course, but it would prevent people from feeling like they are wasting inventory space for being paranoid they will run out of food. Especially for those multi-hour long mining trips.

Overall, I have to stop playing at this point, it just doesn't seem interesting in its current state. Don't get me wrong, the developers are awesome and I have and will continue to follow on the updates to see what they are coming up with. Right now though, its just not in an enjoyable state for me, I will come back once these mechanics have been put in place.

I really don't post at all, so that just shows how important this mechanic is to me. Also since I don't post that often I haven't shown my gratitude to the developers for what a great game this is, and soon to be better. The dev staff is amazing in listening to their community and the regular updates are awesome, thanks for an amazing game.

Darklight likes this.
  11. Taiine

Taiine Pangalactic Porcupine

Ima say that I would love it that food and such would come back as an OPTION and not be forced back onto you. Not all of us are fond of such, more so food not stacking? That was a big annoyance in Minecraft before they changed it. There's no reason aside making us have even less space to dump items.

12. BaTTaLioN CHaoS

BaTTaLioN CHaoS Void-Bound Voyager

don't know if it is mentioned before but:
    canned food doesn't rot and would be great mid to late game food stuffs.
    as long as you don't use lead for making the cans then the worst case scenario is a case of scurvy.

edit: to be precise a tin-lead solder for can sealing

Last edited: Jul 19, 2015
    Peppersnap likes this.