1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

The (planned) journey to 1.0 (Quotes from the dev Tiy)

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Garatgh Deloi, Jun 24, 2015.

1. Oberic

Oberic Spaceman Spiff

I realllly hope Refrigerators prevent food from rotting, that would be the coolest thing.

Rogue_Warrior and ForgivenStar like this.
  2. ForgivenStar

ForgivenStar Void-Bound Voyager

Maybe not specifically prevent it from rotting, but slow it down by a long time. :D

Rogue_Warrior likes this.
  3. MrChow

MrChow Pangalactic Porcupine

It seems nobody has realized yet that food decay is gonna introduce yet another performance degradation factor. You see, the way Starbound's engine works right now is: you have a Lua script, which you can assign to an object. And since that object is spawned, the engine keeps executing update() function every 5-10 microseconds until the object is destroyed. Now imagine you have tons of food in a bunch of containers and the script slowly subtracts health from every instance of every food item. Every instance of the food object calls its own copy of that function. Dozen of times per second. And even if the function itself will be implemented in C++ rather than executed via Lua runtime, you still have very frustrating performance impact.

Now you get it? This is the real reason why the food is going to be non-stackable, not because you can spam it (in fact, you can't, because you will be blocked by wellFed effect).

In other words, it means:
    • You already cannot eat more than a single food item in a long time period.
    • You won't be able to stack food and it will waste space in your claustrophobic inventory (besides, you cannot stack similar objects with different health).
    • The food will get spoiled fast, so you'll be forced to farm it infinitely or buy canned food... which will get spoiled as well.
    • Even if you'll remove the food stacking limitation via mod, growing a lot of supplies will result in severe performance degradation because of the food spoiling script. If you'll remove the script as well, the whole food spoiling is a moot point.
    In conclusion, the announced mechanics are pointless and only going to harm the game by addition of redundant complexity, gameplay and technically-wise.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2015
  4. yclatious

yclatious Guest

Well now, ain't that a kick in the head?

Edit:Seems like we got this debunked, and the main Dev in the thread.Interesting.

Edit 2:Removed a unfounded provocation at Meta, sorry bout that man, false info and whatnot.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  5. Garatgh Deloi

Garatgh Deloi Master Astronaut

You are making a lot of assumptions there.

First, you're makeing assumptions on how they will implement the system in the engine (thus also making assumptions on its effect on performance).

Second, you're making a lot of assumptions about the spoilage system, for example that food will spoil in containers (thats yet to be seen, but considering that the game dosent even load worlds the player hasent been on for a few minutes, i find it unlikely that it will keep track of every food item in every container constantly). Also we dont know how fast food spoils, so saying that "it will be spoiled fast" is also a huge assumption.

Third, you're making the assumption that the farming and food system will work the same (how often you can eat for one) when its very likely to be (at least slightly) rebalanced as part of the new hunger system.

I get that the points you're trying to make worry you, but you shouldent assume so much. Wait and see how its implemented before you judge. (Or at least wait until we have more details)

Mackinz and jessiebean like this.
  6. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Now that is a kick in the head.

Mackinz and yclatious like this.
  7. Tiy

Tiy Lead Developer Chucklefish

Nope

8. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

That's why you wait for official word

Mackinz and Kayuko like this.
  9. Aroxys

Aroxys Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Ye gods, there's not even any hard numbers and people are already claiming that this is the end of the world. At least when the Core Ore system was implemented people tried it and complained only when they experienced it firsthand, but here we don't even know how long food will keep or how long people would have to act before they have to eat again. While I would suggest limited stacking instead of making food completely unstackable (as being able to carry 99 food items in one stack is a little ridiculous) to test the waters rather than go whole hog, this would ideally actually encourage people to try different dishes rather than stick to just one favorite. Additionally, we have no idea how farming is going to work later on as there could very well be a Garden Bot-style system waiting to be done up to automate farms so we don't have to worry about crop rot nearly as much and don't have to pop home every hour or two to check up on supplies. I would additionally think there would be ways to store food so that it wouldn't rot or at least greatly slow down the decay so again, it's less of an issue.

It's not like the idea in and of itself is abominable, it's just that it needs to be handled well.

10. Campaigner

Campaigner Giant Laser Beams

I'm just glad survival is coming back. It was one of the reasons I was drawn in to the hype of the game initially. I'm just worried that the food rotting system will be either too lenient or too harsh. I mean, if it takes a full day cycle in the game for non-canned or non-drink items (12-14 minutes), that'd be fine. As someone said earlier, the fridge should also be able to prevent rapid decay, but it's not too far a stretch to make the fridge prevent rotting indefinitely. Modern fridges are pretty good at it, so it's not too crazy to think a high-tier fridge (Impervium tier fridge please!) could entirely halt the rotting process until the item was taken out. Still, I'm gonna say I'm happy again for hunger returning. It's been what, almost two years now? I can't wait to see how much of an improvement it'll be over the anti-afk system from earlier times.

Now that hunger is confirmed to come back, will heat and cold be coming back as well? The nanosuit system right now is, quite honestly, really lame. I know, science fiction and all that, but there's a point where it gets too ridiculous. (Disregarding the fact that we have MAGIC staves and all that, of course)

11. Varixai

Varixai Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

The quote in the OP says "survival mechanics". So yes, temperature will return.

Here is a more direct quote if you want it though:
    Source: http://playstarbound.com/were-back/

12. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

You know they could also just have the food store the value of when the food was created.
    Which means no active script has to constantly run.

So only when the inventory is specifically opened - scans the times if an object exist in the inventory- makes the changes instantly.
    So only time it ever runs is when the inventory window is open, that again is by the inventory window which is constantly updating anyway.

Mackinz and MrChow like this.
  13. Wall of Knowledge

Wall of Knowledge Cosmic Narwhal

Could you elaborate on this? I'm quite curious about how you plan to implement it/re-implement hunger as a whole.

14. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

I know you've admitted that you were wrong, but why attack metadept? As far as I remember, be hasn't made a single "questionable decision" except for some entirely experimental weapons made to test the Nightly item system.

15. yclatious

yclatious Guest

Hmm, I seemed to have false info, that he was the one responsible for such things as the current, useless, and somewhat unappealing and seizure inducing Teleport loading screen, alongside some outbursts of rage presented at more negative fans, and some individuals of the Steam Community.Please correct em if I am wrong.

But didn't he also make a thread in reddit where he massively cocked up on basic problem solving, overcomplicating something super simple it to kingdom come?

Everyone has bad days, but one of the lead coders not being able to solve something that the guys answering his question made clear was beyond basic, well, it just doesn't resonate well with me, know?

Apologies then, for being misinformed, ill go and edit it out.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  16. Image Not Available

Image Not Available Pangalactic Porcupine

Reported for one-word spam post. Doesn't contribute to the discussion and violates the forum rules.

(In seriousness, it would be nice if you could actually drop a sentence or two of explanation. Just saying nope doesn't alleviate peoples concerns and just makes you look like a jerk.)

17. Garatgh Deloi

Garatgh Deloi Master Astronaut

Uhh?

Unless theres been a change somewhere Metadept isent the lead coder. Kyren is.

Metadept being a normal code monkey (as far as i know) together with OmnipotentEntity (thats also the lead banana for some reason).

http://playstarbound.com/team/

Anyway, i have no idea if the rest of what you said is true or not, but if you mistake him for the lead coder it makes one wonder how much you check your facts.

p.s I hope Meta (being a code monkey) dosent end up eating Omni (being the lead banana).

18. TheFudgement

TheFudgement Ketchup Robot

[​IMG]

19. Lazy Joe

Lazy Joe Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Food will rot?! Oh great, thats really good news for my restaurant, where i spend hours cooking up all different kind of dishes.... whats the point of storing up ingredient if they just all go bad over time like in dont starve.... 3 fridges full of rot....

20. Wall of Knowledge

Wall of Knowledge Cosmic Narwhal

You are aware of what fridges and freezers are for, right?