1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED The Orcana

Discussion in 'Races' started by Nemasys, Feb 28, 2015.

1. Mikelgard

Mikelgard Void-Bound Voyager

Just as a random thought, does anyone else in here wonder why Atlanteans are always given a Greco-Roman theme, regardless of medium?

2. Oberic

Oberic Spaceman Spiff

Because the few historical writings concerning them are from the greek/roman lands I think? maybe? Plato or something..?

3. Mikelgard

Oh, reminds me. Any chance at this race getting fleshed out a bit? The race-specific starter wep looks great, and I know that I for one would LOVE to see this race get as much love as the Avali

4. Nemasys

Nemasys Cosmic Narwhal

That's my hope as well, but it may take a bit of time. I don't always have as much time for modding as I would like, and unfortunately there will be occasional time gaps between updates like the one right now. I do check this site frequently though to answer questions and stay informed. And continued support from you guys keeps me motivated even if I am unable to make as much progress as I'd like sometimes.

5. carriontrooper

carriontrooper Existential Complex

Well at least lore can be done in bits and pieces, right?

6. Mikelgard

Aye! I really do enjoy how quickly you respond to posts on here! Good on ya, Nem! ;D Oh, while I'm here, anyone know anything about the secret ancient-looking room in the erchius base? Instead of the cat and such, I've got this awesome little room. Wat.png Edit: Just occured to me that glowing runes like on the wall would TOTALLY go with the Orcana theme! If you're able to get a set of background tiles or something of the greek alphabet that glowed, that'd be bloody amazing

7. Nemasys

Nemasys Cosmic Narwhal

Officially added to the To-Do list. Thanks for the great suggestion! :up:

8. Mikelgard

Okay so, ran into a little snag on my end, sadly. Trying my hand at pixel-art and modding, hopefully to flesh everything out as a full Orcana weapons mod (hopefully one day integrated into this to save you time), and I'm currently working on a t10 pistol called "Blue Helios" (going for a greco-roman naming scheme), that's a stat and visual edit of the ferozium pistol. Here's what I've got so far...

Code:
    {
      "itemName" : "bluehelios",
      "inventoryIcon" : "bluehelios.png",
      "dropCollision" : [-8.0, -3.0, 8.0, 3.0],
      "maxStack" : 1,
      "rarity" : "Legendary",
      "description" : "Only the best for the Orcana.",
      "shortdescription" : "Blue Helios",
      "image" : "bluehelios.png",
      "handPosition" : [-5, -2],
      "firePosition" : [13, 4],
      "recoilTime" : 0.1,
      "level" : 10,
      "tooltipKind" : "gun",
      "weaponType" : "Pistol",
      "fireTime" : 0.6,
      "inaccuracy" : 0.001,
      "twoHanded" : false,
      "walkWhileFiring" : false,

"projectileType" : "plasma4",
      "projectile" : {
        "speed" : 85,
        "life" : 30,
        "power" : 20.7,
        "color" : [255, 10, 10]
      },
      "muzzleEffect" : {
        "fireSound" : [ { "file" : "/sfx/gun/plasma_pistol4.wav" } ],
        "animation" : "/animations/muzzleflash/plasmamuzzle3blue/plasmamuzzle3blue.animation"
      }
    }

Code:
    {
      "input" : [
        { "item" : "cerliumcompound", "count" : 1 },
        { "item" : "imperviumcompound", "count" : 8 }
      ],
      "output" : { "item" : "bluehelios", "count" : 1 },
      "groups" : [ "acceleratortable", "weapons", "all" ]
    }

bluehelios.png

I'm probably missing a file or two simply because I'm fairly clueless at poking around in Starbound, but I've got those three thus far. What I'm looking to do now is make this a craftable item specifically for the manipulator or separator. I'm just playing around with the "inaccuracy", "speed", "life", and "power" values to see how they affect in-game stats. Looking to give it another debuff-ish stat or two like a plasmaburn DoT and have it be slightly more effective than the aegisalt pistol. Specifically looking to give it 20% lower power consumption per shot, about 20% more damage, be laser-accurate, and have a faster-travelling bullet. In the future I seek to make this a charged/bow weapon, but I'd like to get this bit down first.

Edit: I do seek to make them lore-friendly for the Orcana as well, so (if this is acceptable?) chatting with you about backstory a bit would really help out on that front.

Edit 2: Found an item from StarCraft thatm with a recolor and spriting, would do well as an Orcana crafting station. Thinking about having it upright so the blue 'gem' at the upper-right of the pic is at the top, retouched to have black as the primary color, keeping the blues as-is, and keeping gold as a detailing/tertiary color, perhaps with a scheme something along the lines of: black->thin gold detailing->black band slightly thicker than gold->blue lights.
    [​IMG]

Edit 3 (Yeah, I know): Just as modern fuel/hydrogen cells function off of hydrogen and oxygen, it'd make sense that the Orcana, as an atlantean species, would have a better one that uses water directly instead of taking the hydrogen and oxygen from two separate sources, and the resulting electricity and water can likely be space-magic'd to act as a fuel for a controlled H-bomb, hence the type of projectile. Still working on how it'd all go together from a scientific standpoint, so if anyone wants to pitch in with chemistry/physics pointers on the general concept, that'd be spectacular.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2015
  9. Nemasys

Nemasys Cosmic Narwhal

While that would make a cool crafting station I am currently building the Orcana mod to mirror the functionality of the core races. Therefor, they will use the same crafting methods that the core races use. I understand that as far as lore goes that might not make the most sense, but I have made this choice for the sake of game play and overall continuity.

Feel free to PM me any time to ask about whatever details you might want to know about. Sometime I need to sit down and put all this stuff together in a nice concise write-up.

10. Mikelgard

Well, if you have Skype, hit me up over PM really quick so we can get the weapons bit sorted, and I'll see if I can't give you some ideas on that write-up, if nothing else I can write it all down and pass it to you.

Edit: On the crafting station, if I ever figure out how to do such, could make it so it's a late-game craftable to make specialized Orcana gear (like a questline or something) to unlock some big Atlantis-style city, because I know that racial cities will be a thing in the upcoming months due to nightly info (Avian and Glitch have theirs atm).

11. Nemasys

Nemasys Cosmic Narwhal

It's a possibility. I am already planning on doing Orcana towns to the scale of the random ones currently in game, but I want them to be on the ocean floor. Once that is figured out Orcana settlements can become a real possibility. I'm hoping the the underwater dungeons that are being added can translate into underwater towns too. But the idea of a large capitol city in its own space like the outpost would be pretty cool. That would definitely be something to quest for.

12. Mikelgard

Well, tell me, have you ever seen the disney movie Atlantis...? (Please see where I'm going with this)

13. Nemasys

Nemasys Cosmic Narwhal

I have seen it, and it would be cool to have a city as grand as that.

14. Mikelgard

Actual plan was for the questline! As an Orcana, you could recognize some marking on some wall (they'd actually be reskinned chests) so when you dug through them, it'd drop a book with clues on where to look for items and such, to construct a specific teleporter that'd take you to the big city (think of when you first learn about Outpost).

15. Nemasys

Nemasys Cosmic Narwhal

Orcana fans rejoice, for I am once again churning out pixels for the rest of the ship tiers. I have them all functioning in game now, but have a bit more polish to do on a few of the tiers before I go live with them - which will happen this week!

Last edited: Aug 3, 2015
    Seajun_ likes this.
  16. Nemasys

Nemasys Cosmic Narwhal

Nemasys updated The Orcana with a new update entry:

Boldly go where no whale has gone before...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
  17. Nemasys

Nemasys Cosmic Narwhal

Well now that I have the ship tiers done aside from a bit of pixel tweaking, I would like to submit to you a bit of a sneak peak: seafrog.png

Whatcha think?

Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
  18. Nemasys

Nemasys Cosmic Narwhal

Nemasys updated The Orcana with a new update entry:

B.1.1 - Ship pet

Read the rest of this update entry...

Last edited: Aug 12, 2015
  19. carriontrooper

carriontrooper Existential Complex

Heads up - a rogue w in the blueblack frog's .monsterpart file caused a crash. Pretty obvious and easy to fix.

20. Nemasys

Nemasys Cosmic Narwhal

...How did that get in there?...
    Thanks for letting me know. I'll get right on it.