1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback The new toolbar is terrible

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Locklave, Jul 25, 2016.

1. Ainzoal

Ainzoal Ketchup Robot

Or maybe it's proof that it's nowhere near as bad as you make it out to be.

2. BloodyRain2k

BloodyRain2k Pangalactic Porcupine

With so many threads about wanting the old one back and suggestions about making the new one less horrible I doubt it.
    There's simply no response from the devs so understandably people gave up talking about it because it won't change anyways.

Good for you though that you enjoy it, I don't and never will which is sad because I was really looking forward to SB finally being released and now I can't play it even because that stupid hotbar makes playing simply unenjoyable for me.

3. SamuFinland

SamuFinland Phantasmal Quasar

I just with it had more slots instead of having to switch between two hotbars.
    And the "useless" tools weren't at the middle of the hotbar

Reythia likes this.
  4. BloodyRain2k

Yah pretty much, just get rid of the double deselection as we have a dedicated deselection key which was fine as it was and put the LR's above each other so 12 can actually fit on screen (ignoring that at lower resolutions the current 6 are already not fitting) and done.
    But that'd be basically the old hotbar remade and that's not gonna happen : (

Reythia and dekar_serverbot like this.
  5. dekar_serverbot

dekar_serverbot Scruffy Nerf-Herder

we are all on the same boart, and not just the interface, also with the unique races, harsh climates, no item drops on survival... it feels like if we had bought "super mario world" but one day someone got into our house and changed the catridge to "mario is missing".

I'm still trying to get this refunded, or the old version back but got neither

onel13hl and Pingeh like this.
  6. Lintton

Lintton Guest

I'm playing the game just fine.

DesVoeux and Ainzoal like this.
  7. Ainzoal

Ainzoal Ketchup Robot

Says the one who keeps trying to get refunds after years of owning a game

8. dekar_serverbot

this is NOT the game i bought, i bought a fun space "sandbox" rpg. Now i got a generic adventure platformer full of mario is missing like quests

9. dyre00

dyre00 Poptop Tamer

The new toolbar is a bitof an acquired taste, I think. One gets used to it over time. I still wish we had a few more slots though. Just 8 instead of 6 would be fine.

Also, what would be really nice is if placeable items, like torches, platforms, and blocks, could be one-handed instead of two-handed. It'd be way more convenient and save me a bunch of slots. And it's not like I get a gameplay advantage from being able to hold a torch and a wooden platform at the same time!

Reythia likes this.
  10. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

It would make no sense to have blocks 1-handed. As you can place blocks in background. I probably can agree with torches and platforms, as those can not be placed in background.

there are 12 slots actually. press x. It is most certainly a bar to get use to... I am one to like both old and new as I have mentioned. The only thing I miss from the old one is the tool function that when pressed a second time will go back to last selected slot or the #1 slot. I've gotten use to the new one though, and working with the switching set of 6 dynamically in a manner of speaking.:nuruhappy:

Note: Don't know if you already knew about the x button or not.

Ainzoal likes this.
  11. BloodyRain2k

I've given the new one time too, at first I absolutely hated it because X used to be my LR set which was my panic button when something jumped my face so at first everything went wrong all the time.
    I still gave it time and started to adjust to instead go for 1 instead where I keep my main weapon which was before on L.
    Eventually it got bearable, not fun or pleasant, but atleast bearable, to play with the new hotbar.

Then they added this deselection nonsense without an option to turn it off and well, that brought it all back to hating it. I press the same slot that's selected already more often than I like because I simply forget what's active at times, especially when things jump my face, so yay for an "improvement" that degrades my gameplay experience.

At this point I'm just sad about this lack of response from the devs towards everyone having issues with the bar one way or another. Ever since it was completely overhauled short before the end of beta out of the blue was there NOTHING.
    About the deselection they claimed that this was done "based on feedback from the community" but I think it was just yet another thing done on the whim of a dev.

onel13hl and Reythia like this.
  12. Lintton

Lintton Guest

You still have a fun space sandbox rpg. I took the time to play it even in the middle of the story, so that's not much of an impediment.

DesVoeux and Ainzoal like this.
  13. dyre00

dyre00 Poptop Tamer

Derp, forgot about the background block placement. Mostly I just care about the stuff that I regularly use while adventuring (torches, campfires, platforms)

I know about the second toolbar- I meant that I'd like to have two sets of 8 instead of two sets of 6, haha. Almost every game I've ever played that used numeric hotkeys had at least 8 in the toolbar. It'd still be symmetrical too!

Tamorr likes this.
  14. dekar_serverbot

if you find funny the tedious artifact hunt then it's ok. But i don't. I want the old planets. the old interface that fitted my screen and the old CHARACTER SELECTION instead of SKIN SELECTION

onel13hl likes this.
  15. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

deselection is not there anymore beyond the actual button for "empty hands" At least in the 1.1 update. That was reverted back apparently. At least in my venture into the unstable branch yesterday before they released on stable today...

ah... wasn't sure. And yeah I do agree with the items that are not background placement type, or do not have a secondary function to them; but the ones you mentioned don't have a secondary sooo makes sense to having them 1-handed despite them not being currently. Don't know if that will change, but will be a welcome one for quite a few.

I know of one game that uses up to 6. "Crea". Which is another similar game in the genre that I like. I am just use to over the years just adapting to toolbar use for the games that I like. Formed habit after playing so many games since the 80s. I don't expect people to adapt that way, as each go about gaming differently. I can understand the wanting of extra buttons just as much as anyone else. I just got use to using what there is. :nuruhappy:

EDIT: Also note that I added TAB key to switching hotbars, so I don't use x; but I still can if I wanted... Glad I was able to change the controls on that one.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
    dyre00 likes this.
  16. Sean Mirrsen

Sean Mirrsen Scruffy Nerf-Herder

There was basically just one concrete-ish response on the matter, over on Discord. It's still noncommittal and not really what I/we want to hear, but it's a response.

(transcript quoted with permission)

That's basically it. And it's why I was against the change since before it happened, when we were just shown pictures. A change this major, just cannot be reverted. All we can hope for, eventually, is some slim possibility of bringing some of the old functionality back through modding.

edit: damn :3 smileys.

Shaadaris, Tamorr and dyre00 like this.
  17. dyre00

dyre00 Poptop Tamer

Whelp...that's a bit of a bummer. Weird how a game that is flexible enough to allow so much modding wouldn't have a simple way to accommodate different toolbar layouts, considering that this sort of UI tweak is often possible in games that otherwise don't allow any modding whatsoever.

May I ask when the "Today" was in the quoted chat?

Reythia and Pingeh like this.
  18. Sean Mirrsen

Oy. A while ago. August 4th. They're still pushing out that big update, so I wouldn't expect progress in this direction for a while.

dyre00 likes this.
  19. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

old character selection? That screen has not changed all that much since Koala. So even back then it was "skin" selection. Now if you are talking about things that come after that... That is something different. I mean there were no abilities specified to each race in all the stable versions. At least when I started playing at christmas. The character design thing that came before the steam release even shows only skin selection. Looks, that is it. So I am not quite understanding that particular portion.

After all on the character select screen it does not show anything short from cosmetic and mode of play; the 3 choices of difficulty. Within game is where one learns of each race. I don't include wikis as wiki gaming I am not interested in, and rather find things out for myself within the game itself.

Regardless of that... this is a bit off topic anyhow... Just felt it needed to be pointed out that part hasn't really changed all that much, despite the game play afterward.

20. Sean Mirrsen

The "character" versus "skin" selection refers basically to the lack of species-specific weapons. It doesn't matter anymore what character you choose, all that changes is how your body looks. Races are reskins of each other, racial armors are reskins with no differences, the only things that had any differences at all were the racial weapons, they had different specials (and were also different visually, somehow I miss that part a lot more than the mechanical differences), and now they are gone.

onel13hl, dekar_serverbot and Tamorr like this.