THE MORE YOU KNOW... about the Unstable Update

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by kyren, Dec 19, 2014.

1. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

2. Frostfall

Frostfall Big Damn Hero

Eeee, I'm quite excited! Time to get my floran exploring :3

3. Caelann

Caelann Void-Bound Voyager

I really hope the performance gets some TLC before stable, though, because I've experienced a huge performance drop since the last stable version and that makes me sad. : (
    (and no, an upgrade isn't possible for me at this time)
    I'd be happy with at least having back the same performance level I had during last stable, if nothing else. It's currently just way too laggy and, well, unstable to play.

Also, I for one don't mind not having the axe and the pickaxes. The MM got a huge boost and I've always wanted to rely on sci-fi tools instead for a change.
    (not so happy with the whole ores-on-sand thing, assuming it's still erasing the ores, but that's a different conversation altogether)

Money is important, obviously (in a capitalist society, anyway), but I'd argue the main point of game-making, as with any other art, shouldn't be profits, but creating a masterpiece. If your main goal is to make money off a game, then you might as well become another Zynga with another Facebook game. Or start pandering to fans' every whim and every suggestion, and completely abandon your vision of the game -- which I'm pretty sure Chucklefish has stated before that won't be happening any time soon.

Also, Minecraft is seriously overrated. I'm a fan and a player of it, but using it as The measure to compare all indie games is ludicrous.

I either pronounce it Nova Kid (as it's read) or Nov-ah-kid (i.e. of Novak) because they aren't kids and "Nova Kids" sounds silly to me. : V

Axe Garian likes this.
  4. Pofinator

Pofinator Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Thanks a ton! I opened the package contents, though, and there was a folder "contents." In there there is a file and a few folders called resources and macOS, but i can not find the world files or the config or any of that

Last edited: Dec 20, 2014
  5. trukkerboy

trukkerboy Void-Bound Voyager

omg ive bought this game last year (on christmas) and it made my christmass damn fun i hope it will make this one even better!
    keep on this awesome game and never give it up never

Type1Ninja likes this.
  6. Sailo

Sailo Scruffy Nerf-Herder

OMG I AM PLAYING MAH AVIAN AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!11111one@ CF is one of teh best dev teams, hardly recognize the game! AMAZING!

Type1Ninja likes this.
  7. Garatgh Deloi

Garatgh Deloi Master Astronaut

Honestly im not sure where its located on the mac version.

On windows the "starbound.config" file is located directly in "Steam\SteamApps\common\Starbound" together with the "universe" folder and "player" folder.

Pofinator likes this.
  8. Starbug

Starbug Guest

Yea, just remove the pickaxe and other Terraria / Minecraft tools. They are not needed in this game. Make some sort of relic / slot on the MM to mine even faster.

Also, despite all this fawning over an update in an early access game, I would just like to know when the next update is coming?

Jaguar779 likes this.
  9. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

You should know that question is never getting an answer.

10. Starbug

Starbug Guest

Why not? that's what caused the whining last time. Maybe they should move back to thick and fast updates, rather than bi-annual updates. Everyone will be happier.

11. Garatgh Deloi

They are doing "quick and fast" updates. They are called nightlies. You cant have "quick and fast" combined with "stable".

Cat656, ReverendBonobo and Axe Garian like this.
  12. Starbug

Starbug Guest

Why was everyone unhappy then? Why bother updating unstable, if the nightlies were thick and fast?

ChuckleFish responded to the criticism and updates the build and did so without having the players cheat spawn items. This is good.

13. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

And then if something happens and they can't keep that deadline? No. The lack of an ETA is the best course of action.

Axe Garian likes this.
  14. Nakano15

Nakano15 Pangalactic Porcupine

Were playing a while ago, the against monster combat is fine, but against npc is kinda hopeless.
    I were full copper geared and attacked an agaran, the sword slashs were only dealing around a block of health, but to the npc, one hit it dealt destroyed my shield, the other killed my char.
    Had to use several javelins to beat them.

15. Starbug

Starbug Guest

Can't we all just call it a scam then, and move on to another Early Access game?

That's what a lot of other people have done, as evidenced by the player count and "most helpful" reviews. Sad to say, but a lot of the critique they have gotten is pretty valid, and the old adage of "no smoke without fire" is fair. I accept some people will never see the problems in the game. The developers do and, going by Tiy's AMA last night, are well aware of the problems (no reason to build, boring mining etc..).

Some folks love the game, for sure. Just think how much more they'll love it when all the shit that the critics want is added. You'll thank us later, I am sure :)

Pingeh likes this.
  16. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

No not really. ALso if you've seen the AMA you would know why there is never going to be a release date for the next patch when the stable patch for this one isn't even out yet.

17. Garatgh Deloi

Nightlies are thick and fast (allmost daily on weekdays), but they are also broken and buggy.

They main reason of the unhappiness is the time it took between stable updates. They could perhaps make stable updates more common to solve the issue (But it wouldent be feasible to make stable updates as often as the nightly updates).

Axe Garian likes this.
  18. Starbug

Starbug Guest

Which part of the post is "not really". Everything, or something specific?

19. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

Thanking the so so called 'critics'

ReverendBonobo and Starbug like this.
  20. Starbug

Starbug Guest

If you can't find it in your heart to accept the constructive criticism for what it is and enjoy the game after all the feedback is taken on board, then you are a lost soul to me. I'll still be your friend though. I'll like your post to prove it.

Pingeh likes this.