THE MORE YOU KNOW... about the Unstable Update

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by kyren, Dec 19, 2014.

1. Garatgh Deloi

Garatgh Deloi Master Astronaut

Oh, 14'th, Could have sworn the post was made the 15'th. Oh well. My mistake.

Nothing to see here folks, move along.

2. Fred Meat

Fred Meat Subatomic Cosmonaut

I just played the unstable as a Novakid and I explored an abandoned mine. Ores are generated further down now so it's really hard to get silver for M.M. liquid collection upgrade ): This is so fun though.
    How do you pronounce Novakid? Is it NovakEEd or Nova and kid put together?

Axe Garian likes this.
  3. MonthOLDpickle

MonthOLDpickle Void-Bound Voyager

So do I need to got o unstable to try the new stuff or stay in nightly?

4. Jbeetle

Jbeetle Oxygen Tank

have you tried deleting starbound.config again?

5. RDeckard

RDeckard Orbital Explorer

This game was and is still all about what I love in games : exploration, mining, survival, and space... :)

I've read quit a lot about Starbound, but now, and after playing with Nightly versions since two mouth, I'm wondering about two little BIG things :
    - Why there are no more (stone)axes for trees/vines ?
    - I loved warmth and hunger Meters, but they seems disappear now. What are the "projects" about this survival aspects of gameplay ?

Sorry for my very bad english and if there are answers for this questions already. :)

6. ODSTNICK

ODSTNICK Big Damn Hero

I want to say thank you for being one of the best devs I know and im sorry when people get angry about your game so again I want to say thank you andhope for the best for starbounds future #chucklefish:chucklefish:

7. GeorgeV

GeorgeV Art Director

The pickaxes alone are a constant debate in the office. There are those who believe they should be gone entirely in favor of matter manipulator upgrades and in keeping the game feeling sci-fi. Others don't agree. We'll see if they survive at all.

The hunger meter may very well resurface. Again, it's another debate. I wouldn't be surprised it it came in one of the harder modes eventually but no promises.
    The warmth is a bit more... iffy. I'm not sure if it'll come back. It might. Never say never.

8. RDeckard

RDeckard Orbital Explorer

Ok ! For me, the warmth meter was excellent for immersion in the deepest caves :). Thank you very much for taking time to respond ! ^^

Type1Ninja and Fluff like this.
  9. Mercenary14

Mercenary14 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

10. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Shouldn't have said that.

11. Fluff

Fluff Title Not Found

I love the update, and most of the new content is amazing. But for me personally, the removal of warmth is possible one of the most disappointing changes to a game I can think of in the last decade (that I've enjoyed).
    It may have been a simple mechanic, but it added a lot in both gameplay and immersion.

Talmid and Biirdy Daysleeper like this.
  12. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

Tiy said it in the AMA

13. otakuderp

otakuderp Void-Bound Voyager

Thank you, you're my new favorite person.

14. TheFloranChef

TheFloranChef Giant Laser Beams

Imho you should leave them in the game. Pickaxes, axes and everything low tech. Players can ignore them or maybe you could add an option to hide these things.

Personally I like to crash in a primitive planet and work my way from the stone age to the sci-fi stuff.

Anyway, thanks to everyone in Chucklefish for all hard work! Make sure you relax during the holidays. :)

Axe Garian and Tamorr like this.
  15. Type1Ninja

Type1Ninja Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

I'm sorry, everyone. I'm going to be the guy who says "Take a look at this MC mod! It's cool!"
    Take a look at this MC mod! It's cool!
    http://www.minecraftforum.net/forum...minecraft-mods/2222904-1-7-10-hunger-overhaul
    ~Hunger Overhaul

But, in all seriousness, I really like this hunger system. It's not an annoying bar; it's something that survival depends on. I realize that simply pulling ideas from mods, Minecraft, and Terraria is frowned upon, but I still think this is one of the better hunger systems out there.

Whoops, I forgot to explain how the hunger system works (within MC). I will now.
    Note that this will almost definitely need to be adapted to fit Starbound, should it even make it in.
    When playing in MC with this mod, the hunger bar drops quickly at first, more quickly if jumping, running, or working, but slows down dramatically near 0. When you do reach 0, however, your character insta-dies - but not before a long period of having horrible debuffs like slowness and mining fatigue. The solution to this? Cooking.
    This mod is designed as a companion to another mod (Pam's HarvestCraft, for those interested: http://www.minecraftforum.net/forum...-1-6-x-1-5-2-others-pams-mods-feb-9th-im-back), which adds a bajillion new recipes, which Starbound already has integrated. The recipes with fewer ingredients fill next to no hunger, but the more advanced your cooking is, the better the rewards. This could work along side or instead of the current buff system.

So: Please don't be mad at me, I just think this a great hunger system (the only good one, imho).

As to the Temperature bar, I want it back. It made ice planets feel a little dangerous. Just my two cents (or is it four? I remarked on two things, each of which gets two cents... Do you have change for one cent? I mean, I have a nickel on me... Hey, two cents + one cent is THREE cents! HalfLife-Bound 3 confirmed, guys! :D)

16. Garatgh Deloi

Unless im mistaken it works like this:

The nightly allways has the newest stuff. But it may be broken and its allmost guaranteed to be buggy.

The unstable should not be broken but is very likely too be buggy.

After its been unstable for a while and most of the bugs has been squished it gets moved to stable.

All the content moves from nightly, to unstable and then to stable. You wont run into new things in unstable or stable that arent in the nightly (but as said, they may be broken in the nightly).

Axe Garian likes this.
  17. Pofinator

Pofinator Scruffy Nerf-Herder

um no, how do i do that

18. Garatgh Deloi

Go into the folder starbound is installed in. Find the "starbound.config" file. Delete the file.

(I would also recommend deleting the player and universe folder, that way you dont miss any new content. On the negative side it removes any characters made and wipes the whole universe making a completely new one)

Pofinator likes this.
  19. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

That's not the point. It doesn't matter who says it where. What matters is that at least one person is gonna misread it as "we'll put the hunger bar back for harder difficulty, we promise" or some variation. They'll believe that to be what was said, and spread it.

20. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank