THE MORE YOU KNOW... about the Unstable Update

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by kyren, Dec 19, 2014.

1. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

At this point in time you can go for Unstable.

2. The Ghost of Ember

The Ghost of Ember Void-Bound Voyager

Has the cave system mentioned here been fully implemented, or is it in the whole lot more (probably) subfield? In the nightly builds I've been playing, while there are more complex cave systems, but as far as I can tell it's still very difficult to reach them from the surface, and you still have to spend some time digging to get into them. Surface caves generate, but they rarely reach down far enough or coincide with one of lower, more open caverns. I feel this, more than any dig speeds is the largest issue in terms fun and effective spelunking.

Axe Garian likes this.
  3. sansy

sansy Big Damn Hero

[​IMG]
    I'm hype too.
    We're all so hype for them novakid. This is what we've been waiting for.
    It will be the greatest trainwreck i mean cowbae cowboy* space exploration of all time.
    <<This comic actually took less time to draw than to upload. My isp made this image one heck of a headache to upload and it's not even that good of a comic hah ;u; Had ta' try like 26 times...>>

4. guyverlord

guyverlord Big Damn Hero

With all this stuff hitting unstable, it won't be too long before it hits stable!
    If they manage to hit the January estimate I'll be surprised and happy.

5. Tomato Master

Tomato Master Noob Simulator 2014

Skammers chuckefish sux pls dun buy da gam they only mad it 2 get moneys to mak a new indie gam dat wil sell more than minecraf

Galactic Avatar and Type1Ninja like this.
  6. X3meblue

X3meblue Master Chief

Nice something is going on! But, why is everybody so excited? It's only that they took the nightly stuff and labled it "unstable". Still
    too much things are not working right, like performance. I mean, space lamas or 101 cooking recipes are nice extras, but i am
    worried about the core game...

Stylµs and Thundercraft like this.
  7. Hawk Novablast

Hawk Novablast Black Hole Surfer

ITS HAPPENING

Gonna load it up and start a new character tomorrow :D Can you actually delete characters properly now?

8. StraySheep

StraySheep Aquatic Astronaut

Your picture fits very well with your ironic comment.

9. Galactic Avatar

Galactic Avatar Cosmic Narwhal

I've actually been playing the unstable since it came out earlier this evening around 6:00 pm EST. Was waiting for someone to put up a thread on this, didn't want to be the first to do so and take this moment away from Chucklefish.

It's a lot of fun so far...although not having an axe to cut down trees with and QUICKLY broken pickaxes are slightly annoying,

10. NeoFoxx000

NeoFoxx000 Phantasmal Quasar

The only thing I noticed when transitioning from Nightly to Unstable is that "E" doesn't close GUI elements. After skimming through the new "storage_unstable" folder that the Unstable generated, I noticed a second "starbound.config" file was made as well. Inspecting the file, I saw that "E" just said
    Code:
    "E" : [ "PlayerInteract" ],
    so I changed it to
    Code:
    "E" : [ "PlayerInteract", "GuiClose" ],
    and resolved that issue. I'm not sure how many others are experiencing that slight problem, but there's the fix if ya need it.

11. Galactic Avatar

Galactic Avatar Cosmic Narwhal

I hoping this is a brilliant satire on the common 'complaint' of most trolls?

Because if it's not... then I feel very bad for the semi-literate cave dweller who somehow got out of the sewers and found a PC with Starbound on it.

And just in case this actually is a "serious" post. I would like to remind everyone that the point of any game, even indie ones, is to make money, and it is every indie developers dream come true to make a game that makes more money than a popular groundbreaking game like Minecraft (which was also an indie game)

12. Alec5h

Alec5h Scruffy Nerf-Herder

So, has this unstable update been pushed yet?

13. Stylµs

Stylµs Phantasmal Quasar

Please don't waste time considering how to make old saves compatible. If this isn't a good time to restart then when is?

Remind yourself. We're sick of hearing it. The true goal of any developer should be their legacy. Not their profits.

Cat656, Axe Garian, Kawa and 2 others like this.
  14. deathsgift

deathsgift Aquatic Astronaut

Dag nab it I have *just* got home for the holidays and had to leave my gaming rig behind, I only have a beat up old (6 years) laptop to keep me content while I'm here and that's barely good for work :-(

Only up side I can see is that some of the biggest bugs will hopefully be ironed out by the time I get back to my regular home...[DOUBLEPOST=1419050782][/DOUBLEPOST]
    This is just part of development, optimisation is one of the last things to get done. Don't worry about performance until it's labeled release candidate, and even then if you're a PC gamer your rig should be fine running a game like this without any optimisation

Last edited: Dec 20, 2014
  15. Aegis J Hyena

Aegis J Hyena Existential Complex

As someone who complains when he is WINNING games, I can vouch for this.[DOUBLEPOST=1419051210][/DOUBLEPOST]
    How quickly is quickly? How powerful is the highest tier Matter Manip versus say the Diamond Drill from the last stable?

16. Drdraco50

Drdraco50 Void-Bound Voyager

when will the mac version be released (my PC is stuffing around at this point in time)

17. Peelz

Peelz Giant Laser Beams

Lol, it's Tomato Master! Nothing he says is serious :)

18. DukeOfRiven

DukeOfRiven Giant Laser Beams

And Jesus. Honestly, the devs have had more then enough time to code the coming of the RoboChrist - they really betrayed the fanbase with their lies and deceptions.

19. NiamhNyx

NiamhNyx Phantasmal Quasar

im gonna switch from nightly to unstable for a while, feel like i need to let the nightly builds get way ahead, and go back to just up my hype.

20. lol watch the mocking, guys -- it's unseemly and some people might mistake it for actual trolling

Axe Garian, Kawa, Dunto and 1 other person like this.