The Magical Thread of Slimy Awesomeness

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by LuthienNightwolf, Dec 18, 2016.

1. Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

Excellent use of the cage!

• sunlite

sunlite Pangalactic Porcupine

Random question, can I make slime eggs without the hutch? Or will I need to create the hutch then destroy it to unlock eggs? I usually do my breeding in a slime hutch but I don't have any room on my current farm, so I'm gonna have to get creative with slime breeding outdoors.

• Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

You can make them with a slime-egg press once you learn to craft it based on Combat skill. No hutch is needed. You will only get slime eggs as a treasure drop if you have built at least one Hutch and had Marlon's cut-scene explaining what a slime-egg is. But you can certainly make your own without the hutch! Building the Hutch just unlocks the occasional egg as a treasure drop from slimes, not the existence (egg-sistance?) of eggs themselves.

sunlite likes this.
        • Stryder87

Stryder87 Giant Laser Beams

I am so inspired by this thread!! hahaha

LuthienNightwolf likes this.
          • Rauchschwalbe

Rauchschwalbe Cosmic Narwhal

Well, things got a little bit out of my hands....the cage is only able to hold around 6 slimes....and well, they are very...romantic? Well, long story short: I have to keep an eye on them because I just stumbled into a nest behind the Community Centre....at least they didn`t came out to attack somebody.

• Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

You have to be careful when breeding squishies outside! I have noticed Slimes seem to have a sort of quantum placement syndrome. Their location in any given room can be approximate, and that means that keeping them confined off the farm is chancy! I have a small colony up at the railroad and was using the train platform as a cage-- they can't hop off the platform, they can only enter or leave it via the stairs on each end-- but when I'd leave and come back, slimes were still getting loose and wandering the location. I think the game just estimates their position sometimes, which means they can seem to teleport around.

(There is also a known glitch where if a pair of slimes is mating at the /exact/ moment you leave an area, the baby slime can appear in the new room. I've had this happen at least twice with the Secret Woods, where mating slimes in the woods let a baby 'follow' me out into the forest!)

• Rauchschwalbe

Rauchschwalbe Cosmic Narwhal

Guess they don`t want to live in small cages. As long as they don`t take over the whole area I will let them stay alive.

sunlite likes this.
                • Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

On the bright side they're always friendly towards the villagers!

sunlite and Rauchschwalbe like this.
                  • LuthienNightwolf

LuthienNightwolf Oxygen Tank

This is how I ended up with the infestation of purples down in the river on my last game. The parents would get busy right at the edge of the water and spit the baby straight into it, and then those babies started breeding and so on and so forth.

sunlite likes this.
                    • sunlite

Well, as a newbie to slime breeding, how should I approach my first slime colony ~safely~? Is there any way to avoid infestation?

• LuthienNightwolf

Population control - Just go in periodically and kill a few of them off, whenever you feel like there's too many of them. If they get stuck in the river or in walls, which does tend to happen no matter how many slimes there are, you may have to use bombs to kill them since you won't be able to reach them with your sword.

• Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

Isolation. Do not breed them in any large area. The ideal off-farm site (as far as I can tell) is the Railroad Area: there's almost no villager traffic up that way (I think Linus, Alex, and very rarely Sebastian are the only ones who visit that area) and slimes cannot generally cross from one 'screen' (a block of discrete rooms such as your farm, the main Pelican Town area, Cindersap, etc.) except in cases of the 'baby slime' glitch I noted above. While it's fun to put them down in the Cindersap, that's technically a very large area, comprising several islands, a forest, etc, and once they're there they can spread throughout that screen. And as Luthien notes, they /will/ breed in the river and make a mess you cannot clear out easily. While they can also get clogged up in the Railroad station walls, they cannot (as far as I can tell) spread from there to anyplace else in the game. Needless to say, you'll want to have the Slime Charmer Ring to be totally safe.

Another interesting escape-proof area I've found for them seems to be the Farm Cave itself, if you don't mind slimy fruits or mushrooms. They don't seem to actively breed very much in there and it's easy to limit the population to what you hatch from eggs. It would be useful if you wanted 'purebred' slimes of known colors.

I think I will see how the Witch's Swamp/Cottage does for slime breeding. That seems to be a very isolated set of rooms with a nice slimy look to them. We'll see what Witchie-poo thinks of someone else putting a curse on /her/ for a change!

• LuthienNightwolf

The beach is another good low-population breeding site, because they only breed when you're actually there. I believe the same goes for the inside of the community center.

• Ipielle

Ipielle Title Not Found

Did anyone try to breed in the second area of the sewers, where the bugs and the chest with the talisman are? It would look awesome for slimes with soft beds of grass, some rocks to eat or play with and a nice pond with buggy and fishy friends... Slimy Paradise... ^^ And the temperature must be really nice underground.

• LuthienNightwolf

I know someone tried the sewers and said it didn't work, but I'm guessing since the bug lair regenerates each time you go in, similar to the caves, it probably won't let you place items down. As perfect a home for slimes as it would be, I'm doubtful it would work. You can try it though, and let us know how it goes. :)

Ipielle likes this.
                                • Seismothesaurus

Seismothesaurus Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I second/third/whatever the railroad area. I probably have around 50 there so far with no issue. A loose colony will always present a challenge without the slime charmer ring, though.

You could also try having only female or only male slimes together in one area. It would be time-consuming to get them all via incubator, but it should prevent you from being overrun (unless there's something we don't know about slimes).

• LuthienNightwolf

Lets hope they don't have frog DNA. We might have a Jurassic Park situation on our hands. lol

The railroad was where I started my first colony, and they stayed very well contained up there. They can still get stuck on the cliff walls but they don't really do anything once they're up there - they can't move so they can't breed. Theyre just stuck watching all the other slimes have all the fun. >u<

Seismothesaurus likes this.
                                    • Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

Isn't that the definition of a wallflower... er... wallslime?

• sunlite

Another question -- how do you obtain so much slime at first? I assume you get lots of slime when controlling large colonies, but before you have an established colony, do you just go to Krobus every monday or something?

• LuthienNightwolf

I just save all the drops from the ones I kill in the mines and secret woods.

Seismothesaurus and sunlite like this.