The future of Starbound

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Tiy, Dec 16, 2013.

1. Lunar Shrubbery

Lunar Shrubbery Title Not Found

Are there still plans for the creature encyclopedia type deal?

2. Gemini221

Gemini221 Orbital Explorer

He also didnt mention anything about extensive logbook-functions.. where data is stored about monsters or special plants/trees or something you have encountered. Back in the old days it was planned. Maybe they skipped it entirely? I hope not!

3. Rostfrei

Rostfrei Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Wow. Thats a huge list. I think its safe to say the the future of starbound is a bright and colourful one. I for one am looking forward to the upgradable ship size and weather effects. My ship is terribly cluttered and i feel like there should be more variety than just rain. You are doing a brilliant job and its amazing at what speed you push out update after update. Just keep your health in mind :D

Cristoph888, Epsilon52 and AIex like this.
  4. vonbenja

vonbenja Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I`m lovin it

AIex likes this.
  5. Werodar

Werodar Tentacle Wrangler

• Reduced Wipes: Working on a system to patch without requiring as many character wipes in the future. This will require one more wipe and that’s it.
    ^^^^^^
    This Plox. This is what keeps me ( and i guess a lot of other people) from getting rly started into Starbound. So... High priority maybe? ;P

AIex, Tarod, vanella and 3 others like this.
  6. Haku

Haku Subatomic Cosmonaut

Oh wow!!! This calls for another character wipe, I demand it!

Epsilon52, kcela and AIex like this.
  7. Zephiron

Zephiron Pangalactic Porcupine

Can't wait. Although I'm a bit afraid with the NPC calculator, does it mean more stressful calculations for our poor little procies ?

"Goodbye, Mr Bigglesworth ! Your incompletion will be missed...sort of !" *sob*

crimison and AIex like this.
  8. Casm

Casm Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Impressive list and I approve of nearly everything listed with even more on the horizon. I'm having so much fun with the game in it's current state that with these changes the game is going to be simply phenomenal.

AIex likes this.
  9. RomyCat

RomyCat Industrial Terraformer

Very impressive with the list. Stargates!!!! You made my week :)

Thanks for all your hard.

neutralentropy and AIex like this.
  10. Nerva

Nerva Parsec Taste Tester

I have but one word for all of this.

YESSSSS.

AIex likes this.
  11. AiRFoRc3xLoRd

AiRFoRc3xLoRd Void-Bound Voyager

Wow you have a lot of awesome stuff planned! cant wait

AIex likes this.
  12. Dime_407

Dime_407 Aquatic Astronaut

On one level: YES. The two dimensional nature of the game already forces you to waltz through people's houses, but it seems rather silly that you can just raffle through their chests and snag any pieces of furniture you want for your pixel printer.

On a completely different level: ...but the books. I've only found one book so far in game, but then again I've only been in one NPC town and searched one bookcase. The question if we can't riffle through their stuff anymore how are we going to find and read all those cool books you're writing to give the world flavor? Will there be book merchants? Or will only chests and furniture count as property and the books from the bookcase be free to pilfer?

Jaguarkia, kcela, AIex and 4 others like this.
  13. Twilightdusk

Twilightdusk Aquatic Astronaut

Are there any plans to make different planet types contain different non-cosmetic materials? For example, having the player need to collect a certain material from a Desert planet and another from a Jungle planet in order to build a certain item?

14. Zephiron

Zephiron Pangalactic Porcupine

THAT, is also clearly needed ! That would make mobs a lot less "random patchwork stuff that pops for the hell-if-I-know reason ! x)

Oh and that too !

AIex likes this.
  15. Bavragor

Bavragor Space Hobo

PLEASE add quick stack to chests, like in Terraria.

16. Kellanved

Kellanved Master Chief

A lot of really good stuff here. In particular I'm really looking forward to being able to rebind keys because being a leftie makes using wasd difficult, especially since I have to reach down with my pinkie to hit the space bar to jump.

crimison and AIex like this.
  17. Xelot

Xelot Phantasmal Quasar

I am very interested in the teleportation system.

18. TheNarrator

TheNarrator Subatomic Cosmonaut

Not much talk about NPC quests but other than that, the list is awesome! Giant spaceship dungeons sound awesome! +1 for SpaceHulk feeling!

19. NivlacDX

NivlacDX Void-Bound Voyager

It would be awesome if at the end of the story your ship is like a frigate and you can suck up resources just by flying overhead.

AIex likes this.
  20. TheButterKnife

TheButterKnife Void-Bound Voyager

Looking into the difficulty rating that has been planned, I do have a suggestion towards it.

You could use the sector letter as it's base difficulty as in "A, B, C"
    So "A" would be 1, "B" would be 2, and C respectively would be 3
    Then for the modified difficulty would be a number as in 1 to 9.

So a Class A:1 world would be a level 1.1, and a B:2 would be a 2.2.

Edit: It seems that the current build has added general stuttering to the game.

More Edit: Tried Open-GL, and it seems to have fixed the issue. Apparently I have an Nvidia card, and they aren't supposed to like the wonderful Starbound, and mine only chose now to act up.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
    kcela, AIex and Tarod like this.