The future of Chucklefish and Starbound

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Tiy, Feb 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheLoneGamer

TheLoneGamer Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I do look forward to less spaced out updates and most of the new features mentioned. That said I hope Chucklefish doesn’t go overboard with what they can do. Sure there are already a million sales for this game in what must be a feat that few other indie games did in such a short time, but I’m not sure if there will be any suddenly surges in sales again aside from the first early access release.

That said, I do understand how the planned progression system can be a grind, but without actually experiencing it, we could debate it for a long time without really getting anywhere. I’m wondering how modding will be expanded aside from the server use of .paks. I wonder if we’ll ever reach the level of Minecraft where it seems like you can do just about anything in terms of modding.

I really look forward to housing especially given how much I done it in Terraria. At least I won’t have free loaders in this case and building is so much quicker in this game as well. This might finally give me a reason to build houses instead of putting everything on my ship.

I hope the planned tier progression in one giant sector doesn’t mean you’re forced to always wear whatever item is needed to survive the planet level. Perhaps some sort of upgrades (implants?) that don’t take up inventory or equipment slots?

Kittails, Axe Garian and Tamorr like this.
  2. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

too many things? I don't follow on that. Since what I was referencing was about skill tree like progression in a trade you basically choose through playing. It might be based on specific quests or flat out open shop or trading to some extent. Some games I have seen has done this albeit a little basic and not quite on that magnitude in certain cases, while others have the other side of that extreme where it was way complex in how it works.

I can actually see this happening. At least the skill paths...

Other things we will have to wait and see. I think I might have a rough idea on the supposed grind people have been mentioning; really it all depends on the way you play. To make something open ended in the way of play is always going to involve a lot of mechanics and intuitive programming. Many games have already had such, maybe in a different form, but the premises is the same. eg: Many of the D&D Modules to an extent, however usually showing most those values they use; with a few that are hidden.

pixels is not really much of a grind even now. Maybe early on it is, but really it loosens up later on as is. And the fact they are going to have quests, farming and some form of NPC relations to building and housing to make pixels; that just extends to the possibilities of how you could play. In a way it is rewarding to get paid for what you have accomplished. At least in the sense I am thinking.

Starcat5 and Axe Garian like this.
  3. ogboot

ogboot Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Poor guys, getting an office... You've seen Office Space I assume?
    Bart had it made, crunching code from his spare bedroom.

icerimp and Axe Garian like this.
  4. G3rman

G3rman Big Damn Hero

No one is complaining about the new ways to get pixels or how easy/hard it will be to get pixels. It's the gatekeeper mechanic of having to pay pixels to progress in the game; that is bad design.

Mods can fix it. They shouldn't have to though.

5. Cakewalker

Cakewalker Subatomic Cosmonaut

im so excited. cant wait

6. Dynafols

Dynafols Black Hole Surfer

What I mean can be said like that...
    There will never be a perfect game, because people like different games.

What I basically mean is you can never truly have a game that has so many different ideas and they all work together. I've seen games before they just didn't really know what they were because they were trying to put a bunch of "cool" features into it that simply didn't need to be there.
    I'm worried they are trying to be something they are not.

Axe Garian and Tamorr like this.
  7. Icchan^

Icchan^ Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Exactly. That type of mechanics is pretty lazy design and should be avoided in my humble opinion. The game screams at you unlinearity but poses arbitrary linearity on you through game mechanics... that's not good :(

8. Aywren

Aywren Void-Bound Voyager

I couldn't believe that Starbound could be even more amazing... but wow! What a list of objectives!

Congrats on the office! :)

Axe Garian and Tamorr like this.
  9. RoughDraftPony

RoughDraftPony Subatomic Cosmonaut

Progression is based on getting a certain number of points and endgame is lolpvp. I don't regret getting this game, but at this point, I do regret buying it for so many other people.

10. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

gatekeeper mechanic.... well I don't see that as bad or good... Really it all depends on how they go about that, and I would rather wait and see what they have in mind before actually forming an opinion on that. I mean all we know it is based on payment of pixels or just use of pixels, but really that doesn't say how. Just that is a basis or basic idea. So on that I would rather see what the fully fleshed out or at least have some rough idea presented before I temporarily conclude. In other words not enough information to go on.

11. G3rman

G3rman Big Damn Hero

We are humans. We have the ability to infer, comprehend, and talk about ideas regardless of what rough stage they are in. Shying away from the conversation isn't going to spark solutions or alleviate concerns.

12. Kozar927

Kozar927 Subatomic Cosmonaut

I am seriously concerned about where this game is going in terms of the singleplayer expirence. I, and many others rufuse to play multiplayer in any game. Please please dont make starbound have ANYTHING exclusive to MP. SP deserves all the same stuff

13. Dread Pirate Roberts

Dread Pirate Roberts Zero Gravity Genie

I was exceedingly happy with everything I read.
    Until I read "pixels=missions".
    Grinding money to basically "buy" your way into quests that are required to move on is just bad bad bad bad bad design.
    Everything else sounds very, very nice. But pixels will continue to be the bane of many, it seems.

14. TheLoneGamer

TheLoneGamer Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'm not sure if I'll be going against my own advice with debating the planned new progression system, but doesn't gear already count as a gate keeper? If you were going after the tier 1 boss, you'll probably want iron armor and good weapons. You have to mine for ores for the armor so it's not like you can just do a mad rush to the boss even without a pixel requirement unless you're really good at not getting hit.

TheFloranChef and Tamorr like this.
  15. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

I am just being honest in the way I see it. It is just the way I go about things. I don't buy into too much speculation, although do like discussion on the possibilities, even if in an analytical or debative way. can't say I am good at it, as I am not quite that articulate.

At least from what I see is it done from quests, like paying someone for information on a terror that is harassing a village or town you find; kind of like paying the bar keep a tip to know the town gossip. I see many ways it could be done. It could be something you find that you must id to get more information of it, then pay another person to find out a location; due to some actually sided with said boss. So many ideas. i could go on, but like I said it is a matter of how.

So how does my last seem like I was shying away? *confused* I just set out how I honestly see it.

16. Axe Garian

Axe Garian Oxygen Tank

I hope working together doesn't end up having a Monopoly-like effect that leads to the Devs killing each other... out of game... :eek:

Or, alternatively, they can release the next big Update just before this happens, then they can get that hubub done while we're all chewing on that new Update. ;)

I hope we can do multiple paths & master them... i'm attracted to both the 'adventurer' & 'builder' path. I'd hate to try to do both & then not be able to master either of them & 'gimp' myself.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
    Elkestra, Starcat5 and Tamorr like this.
  17. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

The only thing I could possibly see exclusive to multiplayer is pvp and interaction with other players. So how would that be possible to do in single player? *confused*

This of course is only an assumption drawn from what I read over at the other site where some questions were answered... but seems right.

18. Kozar927

Kozar927 Subatomic Cosmonaut

obviously I ment content. Not things that involve human interaction. MPers can keep that. Thats the main reason SP dont MP haha. We better have a fuly functionng sector X space station and planet conquest all account for. Thats all im saying

Starcat5 and Tamorr like this.
  19. G3rman

G3rman Big Damn Hero

There is a big difference between 'Needing to upgrade my dude so that I can have better survivability for any future fight' to 'Oh, I just got the tier 1 final mission quest where I have to pay x pixels which will then allow me to fight this boss which then gives me this tech which I can use to experience the next tier of content'. It's predictable, and just plain bad.

FelipeChoque, D-16, NFossil and 2 others like this.
  20. [pixelmonster]

[pixelmonster] Big Damn Hero

WOW! Really looking forward to that pixel and end game stuff... also a new chucklefish game... tell me more...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.