The future of Chucklefish and Starbound

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Tiy, Feb 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brassqund

Brassqund Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Thanks for those information.
    We all waiting to see what your doing. ^^

Axe Garian likes this.
  2. Disig

Disig Pangalactic Porcupine

I think you are missing the point of my post. When you notice grind in a game, it's not fun. When you don't, you don't even acknowledge it as grind. I guarantee you that you have some games in your library that you love but do grind so subtly that you don't even notice it is there. I imagine that is what the devs are going for.

3. ___MeRliN___

___MeRliN___ Guest

Interesting plans, yet I still hope to be capable to control the game as I am at the moment if you know what I mean ;)
    I love the concepts planned for the future and wish you good luck with moving your Dev Team to London. Not sure what to think about "publishing" I have kinda the experience that companies (EA) turn bad (EA) when publishing games (Simcity, Command and Conquer, Mass Effect, Battlefield 4: The DLC Ripoff) from other Dev Teams (Maxis, now run by EA). So I am having a small carefullness to this kind of well... topic.
    However pretty interested in this new game you are planning ^^

4. Capt_Electron

Capt_Electron Big Damn Hero

Disig, Zouleena and greenman like this.
  5. Dynafols

Dynafols Black Hole Surfer

I've been playing a bit of Xenoblade Chronicles. I never HAVE to grind, I can and it will be easier on me, but I never HAVE to. I can beat everything if I'm just skilled enough.

I've also been playing a A LOT of KAG, and in that game, the better you are, the more you are rewarded. I got more gold for being more skilled, and that allowed me to purchase more explosives and war machines for my team.

If however I've earned a large amount of currency for being skilled, and I have it taken away from me because the game requires me to do so I can access the next level of currency, I'm going to feel ripped off. If I earned all that gold, I want to spend the money on something I want, like a brand new coat of paint. Being blocked is a rude move no matter how to cut it.

Take away the need to progress with currency and you wouldn't even notice the difference. The exact same thing can be said with the hunger bar, if it was never implemented, NOBODY WOULD COMPLAIN.

There is a reason this guy is infamous.
    [​IMG]

6. Julimarie

Julimarie Void-Bound Voyager

7. SnowFox1

SnowFox1 Void-Bound Voyager

really nice and look forward to what to come

Tamorr likes this.
  8. Disig

Maybe this type of game isn't for you then. You seem to like adventure games, where this is a more explore sandbox. The inherent game mechanics are different from those games as are progression systems. In those games you progress through the plot and levels, where sandbox games are designed to let you do whatever you want. There is a progression but, it's not the main focus. The main focus is exploring and building. You don't have to move on to the next level unless you want to, where adventure games want you to move forward.

Colaymorak, Diodon and Axe Garian like this.
  9. AdenSword

AdenSword Pangalactic Porcupine

I was dying waiting for the beta to come out

Now im dying waiting to the beta to become the full game and include what I was hoping for all along

also

Director Mode
    On top of sector X, one major part of the replayable content will be director mode. Director mode exists within a separate Starbound client that allows admins to connect to their servers with a range of new tools built to control the action for their players. Admins in director mode (there can be multiple), will be able to spawn blocks, items, monsters, npcs at will. Take direct control over them, have them speak and interact with players. Essentially director mode allows admins to take on a similar role to that of a dungeon master in D&D, creating scenarios and stories on the fly to ensure players never have the same experience twice.

YES!!!!!

10. bbq1040

bbq1040 Big Damn Hero

Obviously the stated final product is what people want but we are nowhere near that. Not close at all. The base of the game is down but its the details that take the longest. But hey, im a patient person as long as it does in fact get finished. I just hope everyone isready to wait as long as its going to take to really be a complete game. 6 months to a year unless theyre hiding a lot of progress from us. The kind of depth that was described does not happen overnight.

11. Dogwar266

Dogwar266 Void-Bound Voyager

The future of Starbound sure is looking bright, i cannot wait for the next patch/update to keep me engrossed in one of the most enjoyable games I've played in a long time.
    KEEP IT UP CHUCKLEFISH!!!

Axe Garian likes this.
  12. Kahvi

Kahvi Phantasmal Quasar

this may not be much to some people, but how would the whole space station thing work out in Solo Single Player? Would it be a kind of meetingplace for all your local saved characters to just knock around?

Also... how customizable will it be? I could totally see building a hydroponics lab for crop growing and maybe another spot for whatever.

13. petecz

petecz Star Wrangler

I wish i have optimism, maybe I am just worried because i like to game so much i really want to play it and just have fun for a long time. I did write a post about my experience though. Mainly because it was very strange (timed fps drop out of nowhere, every time), to help the developers, I just hope they read it.

Axe Garian and Disig like this.
  14. Dynafols

Dynafols Black Hole Surfer

and thats where you're wrong. If I'm prevented to go just because I don't have the money, then its failed at what it was trying to do.

vanella and Ibraxis Meritworthy like this.
  15. Dogwar266

Dogwar266 Void-Bound Voyager

I'd like to think that in singleplayer the space station would be home to a group of, say intergalactic pirate NPC's or fellow NPC's of the same race, depending on your playstyle.
    A place where you become the captain and can lead them to say;
    A Floran village to destroy as they are the enemy of your race, Hylotl

16. Disig

But you can, all you need is coal or fuel of some kind, not pixels. There are so many planets to explore in one sector, you'll probably never get to them. The goal of the game isn't going to be "get to sector X" for everyone, it's going to be a lot of different things and the devs are trying to make it so everyone can do what they want and eventually get there over time, which will happen with their pixel system. But you use other resources as well. There are multiple ways to "progress" in this game that do not involve getting to the next sector.

Axe Garian and Capt_Electron like this.
  17. Traijan

Traijan Cosmic Narwhal

I was expecting to hear some kind of bad news about Starbound, something perhaps of about having to leave out feature X, Y or Z but what was announced is even more awesome than I had ever imagined for Starbound.

Now, I'm really looking forward to being a Galactic slum lord and charging the NPC's to rent my slums outrageous prices, and director mode... Well that's definitely the icing on the cake now that it's firm.

Axe Garian and Disig like this.
  18. Capt_Electron

Capt_Electron Big Damn Hero

For those concerned about the concept of pixels being tied to progression Tiy's response to that same concern in the AMA:

"You likely won't even notice the pixel collection if you're busy progressing through the game in the way you choose. The reason it exists is so that adventuring, crop farming, building etc can all lead to obtaining the same currency. You'll still be able to hunt items and progress!"

vanella, Starcat5, Axe Garian and 2 others like this.
  19. Mazekial

Mazekial Void-Bound Voyager

Hm...too lazy to see if this was brought up on one of the 3+ pages of comments already posted, but is it just me or does X-Sec sound like it's verrrrry multiplayer-PvP-oriented? Creating Organisations/Organizations and fighting other players...sounds kind of like that doesn't mean much for Singleplayer experiences...

FelipeChoque and MoStLy_aWaKE like this.
  20. lordmarum

lordmarum Subatomic Cosmonaut

I was so hyped before i bought starbound, then once i bought it and tried it out, it was a little bit dissapointing (understandably though, at this early stage). Now that i read this im even more hyped!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.