The future of Chucklefish and Starbound

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Tiy, Feb 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dwagon

Dwagon Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

So the table turns at least...I've been waiting for new talent to fill in the voids left by stagnant mainstream gaming companies, and while the glut of indies were the first step, it's time for some of them to step up a bit further.

Looks like this could be part of it.
    Bravo, and chin up Chucklefish.

tboy21, Tamorr and Disig like this.
  2. Shizuyori

Shizuyori Void-Bound Voyager

Sounds bloomin' marvellous me old spoon.

tboy21 likes this.
  3. Magician Xy

Magician Xy Ketchup Robot

Everything in this update sounds great! As a DnD fan, I'm really excited about Director Mode - sounds like it could be really fun. The end game PvP thing sounds really cool too.

Also, an open-world pirate game sounds like an awesome idea for Chucklefish's new game. Just saying.

tboy21, Tamorr and Disig like this.
  4. Inco

Inco Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I hope you're not overreaching.

5. Toastation

Toastation Title Not Found

A multiplayer pirate game! YES!

6. Disig

Disig Pangalactic Porcupine

I completely understand the concern but, I dunno I'd wait to see what else they implement before really judging. Maybe you wont even notice your gathering pixels while your having fun? That's pretty much what they are going for.

F-Dog, NovastarX, Miles and 3 others like this.
  7. Zouleena

Zouleena Pangalactic Porcupine

AMA?

I have one wee question that I'd like to ask to clarify something in your lovely informative post (thank you for it all, by the way), don't know if I should here or "there" :p

Hell, here it is: In Sector X, will we mostly-solo players have the same advantages/access to everything there as those in Multiplayer?
    The PVP in this sector is entirely optional, players choose whether or not to attack each other or work together. Monsters, quests and events will be strong enough to be challenging even with the best tools in the game. And in game events, invasions and so on will keep the experience fresh.

What if I want to "work alone"? :)

Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
  8. Akado

Akado Oxygen Tank

I hope that Chucklefish isn't going the way of 38 Studios, and they set realistic goals internally. Managing one dev team is difficult, but managing two different dev teams? Ambitious!

Things I like:
    - Offices (should promote better communication internally, and I hope that translates to better communication externally)
    - Different paths for progression
    - Sector X "Safe Zones"
    - Publishing and helping small indie companies (I think this is a good thing for the market and the gaming audience)
    - Server side characters
    - Addressing Moon/Asteroid planets in Sector 1(well, technically addressing them by Sector 2, but still...)

Things I am cautiously optimistic about
    - Instances? Hopefully this doesn't cause a huge performance issue for popular servers!
    - Update schedule (they had technically announced this earlier, so while I like the announcement, I hope this one's for real!)
    - A second game, in development at the same time. I hope they don't idolize Curt Schilling, or 38 studios. They made a great game, yet still went bankrupt due to trying to make an even bigger game at the same time.
    - No sign of weather patterns on this post yet, so I hope there aren't large meteors.

Axe Garian likes this.
  9. Uk based team soon ? YEY no more midnight updates :geek:

10. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

This is what I kind of expected. :D The layout that is. I really like what I read, especially about the versatility of game play. After all I am one to play many different styles depending on my mood. So all that is pretty much a great direction giving a lovely way to play the game, and what I imagined.

This also answered the only thing I was wondering about really, which is how the Tier bit comes to play and why it is the way it is now. Thank you for that. :D

It is nice to know yall' are having a comfy office to work side by side, this will most definitely help in the process; that much I can see. Just the idea alone last mentioned on the new game along side this one at least has some interest, although unsure as it hasn't been fully put into motion yet on the board as a game. Awaiting to see what this one will be about will be a plus, seeing how well thought out the current one is.

The only other note i would make is the side project; other developer ones, that I am fully awaiting the Stardew Valley one, now that peeks my interest fully. :D

Since I am one to play more single player than multiplayer, that part did peak interest, but wasn't something I know I would manage myself. I do like the fact giving quite a decent aspect to the server owners, as to direct or lay out what they have in mind for their own. Having more options in servers for when I do play multiplayer.:)

Axe Garian likes this.
  11. ThePwn

ThePwn Astral Cartographer

Director mode sounds pretty innovative. I like the idea of having every planet level in the same map, it seems more realistic that you could have a lvl 1 planet orbiting a lvl 8 planet or vice versa.

Is this where we would be posting our questions?

12. petecz

petecz Star Wrangler

Big plans. I hope you guys can reach these goals. Personally I'm worried about the lack of optimization. I get that is not a few days work. But still, sadly the game is unplayable for me and I as read through on the forums, lot of people have problems and the patches just inconsistent about it (some of us had better performance on an old version). :(

13. LazerusKI

LazerusKI Phantasmal Quasar

very interesting, director mode? hell yes!
    progression sounds interesting too (need shields agaisnt meteors^^)
    and good to hear about the server-client mod support, we need more developers who consider this.

also: good luck and have fun with your new office then :)

14. Duke Sidus

Duke Sidus Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Well, I've got to say, I'm really looking forward to playing the finished game.

I'd also like to see some modding tools.

15. Vantus

Vantus Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Tiyuri really couldn't make note on every feature that Starbound is going to have and I'm certain many new ideas will come to them as they go. The musical instrument system was never planned, for example.
    It's good to have a little message from the Dev's that describes what is AHEAD rather than summing up things most of us are aware of by now (Like the Starbound newsletter does for example).

Great to hear the pressures of Starbound and the constant hounding and stomping-of-feet from their beloved fans isn't destroying their aspirations for the future.

Proud to be on board the Chuckleboat! :up:

Starcat5 and Axe Garian like this.
  16. Icchan^

Icchan^ Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I do object to the linear progression idea quite strongly... Why are you guys going trough the easiest way to implement progression? :(

17. Disig

Disig Pangalactic Porcupine

Do't let the forums get you down. Remember: these people are just pointing out things they have issues with in hopes that the devs will fix it. People are more likely to point out flaws than celebrate successes. If the game is unplayable for you, post that and add suggestions for making it better. Who knows, maybe the things you don't like are in the process of change planning. Otherwise, just hang out and wait for release. Maybe it will be better for you then!

Axe Garian likes this.
  18. Dynafols

Dynafols Black Hole Surfer

There has only been 2 times I recall in my library of games where the "grind" was fun, and it was a self-aware mockery of grinding.
    Spyro the Dragon and Money Bagz
    And Super Paper Mario's level that required you to "grind" not coins, but rupees (you ultimately did some "alternative" things to get the rupees)

I have not played a single game in life where grinding is fun. Hell, even World of Warcraft now lets you skip the grind and go straight to level 90 by just paying some $, and while I dislike micro transactions, its better than going through the grind (trust me, I've went through it before, it was hell)

Blocking progress through the game with the need to grind is stupid. I've never needed to grind in Super Metroid, Paper Mario, Final Fantasy Tactics, Terraria, Fire Emblem Awakening, Animal Crossing, Skyrim, Fallout 3, Bastion, etc.

19. Archer

Archer Spaceman Spiff

I like all the plans a lot regarding the game, just a bit dubious about the pixel-progression system, which essentially still artificially limits a player's progression, instead of letting it evolve naturally (oh that planet is too hard, let me find some better gear before entering it again). I like the fact that there will be one starmap though, and the various ways of gathering pixels may make the whole thing a lot more interesting than it seems.

EDIT: Dear god, it will be a glorious day when clients can finally download mods from servers!

Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
    vanella and Axe Garian like this.
  20. TopazofLazuli

TopazofLazuli Subatomic Cosmonaut

Pixel Progression I admit is a bit iffy in my opinion, but hey, sounds like some cool stuff's being added in!

And yay, office!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.