1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Community The Agaran Menace

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Razey, Jan 30, 2014.

?

The Agarans: Menace or Misunderstood?

1. Menace

414 vote(s)
    15.4%
  2. Misunderstood

333 vote(s)
    12.4%
  3. Mushrooms

623 vote(s)
    23.2%
  4. Malevolent, Menacing, Misunderstood Mushrooms

1,319 vote(s)
    49.1%
  1. HI-MAX²

HI-MAX² Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Mario Starbound: The mushroom kingdom strikes back.

I always find these guys accompanied by some other race... Still, no one talks with me about them. And those houses where their rooms seem to be submerged in some kind of toxic water... Urrr.

The last time I found one being attacked by an Apex in a wheelchair I saved him... Then he said weird things and jumped in that liquid. Nice guy, I'll send a New Year's card for him. :slowpoke:

2. Type1Ninja

Type1Ninja Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

We need to drop the discussion on mushrooms and start handling the pun outbreak.
    0_o

3. Zebe

Zebe Space Kumquat

44 pages to go. :3

I found this .npctype called nakedvillager in the game resources. I'm not sure are they actually naked, but they can be of any race. Long story short, they have amazing flirt lines and talk about "Circle of Thorns".

This is what I found:

Avian NPC to Avian player:
    "The Circle of Thorns is tightening."

Avian NPC to Glitch player:
    "The Circle of Thorns is watching, Glitch."

Human NPC to Avian player:
    "Someone told me to beware the Circle of Thorns. Does this mean anything to you?"

Human NPC to Floran player:
    "The Circle of Thorns is closing in."

Human NPC to Hylotl player:
    "The Circle of Thorns will come for you, fish."

Floran NPC to Floran player:
    "The Circle of Thorns is closing in."

I feel "Circle of Thorns" is the same as "Ring of Thorns" (Different naming due to writers being high on Agarans). And you know who lead Ring/Circle of Thorns, Thornwing. I'm still going with him being the Big Bad. The smile in the end of The Attack of the Deep Space Spores was that evil!

Also, another line. Human NPC to Floran player:
    "You're almost as scary as the Helion."

Helions aka the mysterious assassins aka the creatures that attacked dr. Lax in Project Incarcerus. The Helions are a separate race? Maybe!(?)

The game is just offering us multiple ways to become mushroom junkies. I mean, you have to inhale that stuff so much to get high. Usually you end up choking to the fumes before that. Injecting is so much safer. totallydidnttryforscience

What's it called? I haven't heard of it. Actually I'm shocked about there is a codex I'm not aware of. :confused: So much has changed...

And my thoughts about the drysap:
    Only one type of the "heat-chambers" has a drysap dispenser. None of the others have it. So I'm not guessing drysap is a big part of the process, since we'd see more of them if it would. They're trying to heat florans for some reason. I believe the drysap is just sometimes there to keep the floran alive and well in the dry heat.

Also, just pointing out that the Agarans aren't the ones calling the fountain a torture machine. It's just a fountain. Racial descriptions reveal it is a torture machine for Florans and Glitches (Two races that get along well, for some odd coincidence!?) because the water is salt water. It makes glitch rust, and just imagine what horrors it does to plant-people. For everybody else it's just a fountain.

4. Type1Ninja

Yup. 44 pages until the prophecy is fulfilled.

I think he was talking about the codices containing stuff where the Ring of Thorns is sent to kill Dr. Lax, and they turn her into rainbows, and then the assistant survives. I don't remember the name, though.
    I agree about the Drysap.

Maybe the Florans like the Glitch because they found them inedible, and they took some sage advice: If you can't eat 'em, join 'em.

MilkCalf, HI-MAX² and The Squid like this.
  5. MysticMalevolence

MysticMalevolence Oxygen Tank

@Zebe I personally suspect the Helions were the 8th race on the gates, but being assassins, they removed themselves.
    As for the villagers, they have much the same lines as regular villagers aside from maybe the circle of thorns stuff.

On the drysap: we don't know if the agarans are united, or if there are different tribes, or if they're a hivemind. They could be simply using different means to achieve the same goal, which appears to include drying out the floran.
    Also, I think two of the chambers include drysap; the giant empty pot in the ground and the underground heating chamber. Correct me if I'm wrong, though.

EDIT:
    Apex to Human: "Have you heard about those strange burning men, human?"
    I've seen this one ingame as well as the files. Kinda strange.

MilkCalf and HI-MAX² like this.
  6. The Squid

The Squid Oxygen Tank

What giant empty pot? I know there are a bunch of giant pots full of either water or lava, but I've never seen an empty one.

7. MysticMalevolence

It's like one of those, except empty of liquid with some plant platforms and a floran inside.

The Squid likes this.
  8. The Squid

The Squid Oxygen Tank

Huh. Never seen one before. As to the thing you posted earlier about the strange burning men, they're probably Novakids. Maybe.

9. HI-MAX²

HI-MAX² Scruffy Nerf-Herder

*sigh* First, a monster that devours planets.

Now, this... Fungal conspiracy. :lod:

Plot twist: We started a fungicide, only to discover at the end that they were trying to destroy dat colossal thing. Too late, everybody dies. :lolwut:

Type1Ninja, The Squid and MilkCalf like this.
  10. Type1Ninja

The burning men could be Novakids, as Bustow mentioned, but they could also be Helions (Helios, sun, greek stuff, fire, etc.). Or Agarans, especially if the Apex are practically blind and mistake the cap on Agaran heads for flame.

Or maybe They're really just Novakids. :p

11. The Squid

The Squid Oxygen Tank

Or the Agarans are arsonists and they started burning the Florans (or any other race).

HI-MAX² likes this.
  12. MysticMalevolence

Searching through the files for an item to use in a quest, I found that two more injections have been added:
    The "Synthesis Stim" and the "Grass Remedy".

...Sounds like build-a-floran-workshop...

The Squid likes this.
  13. Owl_Stalker

Owl_Stalker Guest

LOOK AT THIS!!!!!!!!!?!@!@!@!21@1eq3tgldof0gjbhoxidfbk
    upload_2015-1-3_18-57-57.png
    AND THIS!!@!?
    upload_2015-1-3_19-43-0.png

EVEN THIS!@!?@

upload_2015-1-3_20-4-0.png
    THE BEST DREAMS!!!@Q'f
    upload_2015-1-3_20-6-40.png
    NEXT TIME ON ALL-CAPS NEW YORK!!!@?!@!@12l3#1@!!212

GLOWING TABLES THAT ARE THE SAME AS THE NON-GLOWING ONES!!!!!@!#E2
    ';4klrq3[oie-oaw,

14. The Squid

The Squid Oxygen Tank

So if you lie in the bed, do you have weird dreams? And if you furnish your house with mushroom stuff, do you turn into an Agaran?

HI-MAX² likes this.
  15. Christovski

Christovski Ketchup Robot

16. TheFloranChef

TheFloranChef Giant Laser Beams

The Novakids could be the Helions and don't even know it. They forget things frequently, right?

HI-MAX², Cloudhopper and The Squid like this.
  17. Owl_Stalker

Owl_Stalker Guest

Those are glitch lines for inspecting those objects.

18. Christovski

Christovski Ketchup Robot

Excellent. THE PLOT THICKENS. Can't wait for the Stable release.

I just did the sad task of disassembling my bases with the few of the characters I'm going to save (worst case I can load a server, drop chests with my stuff in it, and pick it up with a new character) so I'm ready to track down the new Agaran threats in the new update =D

The Squid likes this.
  19. The Squid

The Squid Oxygen Tank

I have a theory that may or may not contradict everything w've learned so far! Maybe the Agarans use drysap to turn into Florans, who then use drysap to turn back into Agarans. Once a sufficient amount of drysap is consumed, the Floran/Agaran makes a cocoon (fungal pods) and go into hibernation. Different variations of Agarans depend on how much drysap is consumed; if a Floran takes too much, they turn into the giant one, if they take too little a dose, they turn into a normal one, and so on. The other races use the stim packs and/or furniture to transform, however something about the the Apex makes them unable to transform and leaves them either stuck in the cocoon or so horribly mangled and disabled that they are converted into wheelchair robots.

20. Owl_Stalker

Owl_Stalker Guest

What about the Agaran's being able to decompose Avians and use their DNA as a template for an Agaran?