1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

The 1 hit KO Shrines have gotta go.

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by XaoG, Dec 12, 2013.

1. hoschelhoff

hoschelhoff Starship Captain

It's really easy not clicking it like an idiot.. just jump away from it as you click on it, then jump in again if it's a cloud. Using this method, I've clicked all of which I've seen and never died. It seems like it does more damage the closer you are to it. So basically what I mean is; git gud!

2. vchaos

vchaos Orbital Explorer

Shrines should be tweaked as well. I propose all "winnings" are a passive buff/debuff.

Buffs:
    Health Regen for x/s
    Energy Regen for x/s
    Anti-Gravity for x/s (Character is floaty)
    Run Speed increased by 30% for x/s
    Jump Height increased by 30% for x/s
    Invulnerable for x/s
    Warmth Regen x/s
    Hunger Regen x/s

Debuffs:
    Random DOT for x/s (Burn/Poison)
    Warmth Loss for x/s
    Hunger Loss for x/s
    Jump Height decreased by 30% for x/s
    Run Speed decreased by 30% for x/s
    Increased Gravity for x/s (Character is like a Brick)
    Energy Loss for x/s

None of this One Hit Death. Change it to 80% or higher to receive a buff. (Even in games that use RNG, my experience 75% is too low).

Oh and a 1% chance of this happening:
    1000% Pixel Increase (On death and gains)

3. AdamJ

AdamJ Big Damn Hero

Oh, I didn't realise I didn't play on the latest version earlier.
    Time to go back and see how birds roll.

4. Evangelion

Evangelion Supernova

The problem isn't failing the gamble, it's winning it. These shrines offer nothing that would even remotely equal out an insta-kill. If I play the slots and lose, I lose little by little. If I win, I win little by little.
    If the slots were like the capsules though, losing would be going bankrupt and winning would be getting 5 dollars. They need some rewards that'll actually make players want to open them- I like the mechanic, but it's unbalanced right now.

5. Melexiious

Melexiious Space Hobo

Step 1. Stand a fair distance from shrine
    Step 2. Activate Shrine
    Step 3. If Fire or Poision, run away, if Anything other, quickly run in and grab the buff.

Simple.

6. Lascivar

Lascivar Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Then that's what should be increased rather, instead of removing the death mechanic. Perhaps a 5% chance to spit out a rare or legendary item. 5% chance of instant death and 90% chance of a random buff.

7. shakey2

shakey2 Cosmic Narwhal

It may not be one hit death, but it is instant death. How else do you explain my character instantly vaporizing at full health as soon as I touch it?

8. Heliostorm

Heliostorm Phantasmal Quasar

What, randomly dying isn't an obstacle? If using the shrine is a gamble, then so is being above ground. Hell, playing the game at all is a gamble. Being a "gamble" isn't an excuse for one of the results to add something that only aggravates players and doesn't make it more fun. Adding instant death to the Powerball lottery won't make people like it more.

CJx101 likes this.
  9. Evangelion

Evangelion Supernova

Instead of giving one stimpack ability, they should throw out stimpacks themselves, multiple ones at that. Betting 30% of your pixels should get you something nicer than the common effects the capsules have. Very low chance great rewards would be nice too, like you said.

10. SloppyMayor

SloppyMayor Scruffy Nerf-Herder

60% Death, 39% buff, 1% Legendary

Simple and easy.

11. Chthonic One

Chthonic One Aquatic Astronaut

My problem with the buffs is they are very short lived. I mean VERY short lived. They need to go a lot longer to be any use. Perhaps if they lasted till death/beam up/sleep in a 'bed' they would be more useful. Maybe add a combat buff or defensive buff too.

Oh, except the healing one. That one should be short lived, maybe a minute.

CJx101 likes this.
  12. liam2010

liam2010 Void-Bound Voyager

Personally as long as the rewards are good i don't mind risking death

13. Twisted Trip

Twisted Trip Aquatic Astronaut

I just avoid them not worth the risk and the bonus is hardly worth it. Instant death or 30s of extra jump. It's okay to have instant death if there is a reward just as good to balance it but that is not even close to the case.

14. IcyMist27

IcyMist27 Poptop Tamer

A lottery with almost no payout. The buffs are extremely short for such a high risk. Thank you for your high quality post. The devs want input. Not rude one liners. You have added nothing to the conversation.

Considering how uncommon these Shrines/Supply Pods are the buffs should last at least 5 times longer. This would allow the player to adapt their gameplay to the corresponding effect.

CJx101, LeifGram, CrownFox and 2 others like this.
  15. Severyx

Severyx Void-Bound Voyager

I'm with the OP on this one. The benefits are way, WAY too pointless to warrant me ever using these.

Benefits need a serious buff if these are ever to be worth the gamble, otherwise they will be forever alone.

16. Tathy

Tathy Tentacle Wrangler

I always freak out when i decide to click the shrine, as the character let out a 'hurt' sound when activated, and when i heard that I thought i was insta-kill or something then it turns out its a speed boost buff..

17. Axyl Drache

Axyl Drache Void-Bound Voyager

I'd like to be able to shatter them for pixels, it's all they're good for.

18. Rhampir

Rhampir Poptop Tamer

Can we like, just click shrines? kthnx.

19. Tathy

Tathy Tentacle Wrangler

I remember the first time I saw these shrine thingy, i thought its a large version of those pixel capsule on the ground and used a pickaxe to dig it up and it disappear lol

20. Evangelion

Evangelion Supernova

At least your first memory wasn't being suddenly blown up.