1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

Outdated Temperature Returns [UG] v0.5.1 ( Hot Fix )

Bringing Back Temperature Mechanics to Starbound

1. Goldobsidan

Goldobsidan Phantasmal Quasar

To be honest, I dont know why they outright moved it to begin with. With coding for things like that you could always deactivate it and kinda push it off onto its own but keep it in the assets so you dont have to readd it later if/when you find use for it. Thats just my opinion though and im amature at best for coding so there might be issues with doing that. Hope you find a work around or its readded!

2. Shadow Wolf TJC

Shadow Wolf TJC Spaceman Spiff

Say, about the problem with having to force players to stand in front of objects to get warmed up or cooled down, have you tried adding/modifying an object's damage or status effect polygon, so that it extends far from the object itself, or causing the object to constantly emit stationary projectiles that warm up or cool down the player on contact?

3. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

I asked both Omni and Meta said its most likely collision map. So its best to wait for them to add it later.

4. Lord_Willie

Lord_Willie Void-Bound Voyager

well show far a like the if that helps?v.05 just slows me down i guess its a bug?well so far its a very good concept, plz continue the great work

5. The | Suit

6. The | Suit

BALANCE SHEET NOW AVAILABLE

For those who want to download the current temperature balance sheet, you can download it at the link below.
    The sheet calculates the amount of time it will take for your temperature to drop to 0 or max to 6000 based on the type of armor you are wearing.
    It does not take into account the planets temperature limitations. But even with the planets temperature limitations your temperature can drop beyond that from alternative sources.
    If you want to calculate the amount of time it takes before side effects occur. The limits to those are 1500 \ 4500.

http://www.mediafire.com/view/429r6pwn5fjpf2p/Temperature_Sheet.xlsx

7. The | Suit

My next plan is finish updating the mods - right now only cold attack is available for the standard meele attack.
    Will do some more re balancing of the planet temperatures and add some more food.

After that - It should be vanilla base complete and will be moving onto another project.

tomatelopes likes this.
  8. KerOfErebus

KerOfErebus Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Excellent concept; I had been looking forward to Starbound's survival aspect only to find that by the time I got around to actually playing it, they'd removed a lot of the stuff I was interested in. Please don't take offense to any of the below; I didn't mean any, but my wording isn't always the greatest. Hope this wasn't too long, at this point, since I appear to have covered a lot of stuff.

Did you intend for the torch to allow overheating if the biome temperature change rate was low enough? Because from the code, that's exactly what it does. tempLimiter is only going to limit the lowest player temperature the torch can heat up and cooling is never going to happen at least from the current code. On the other hand, capping heating isn't exactly something I consider the best design philosophy; if there's more than one heating object, it's still not going to change max temperature and I really feel like it should. It's just an opinion, though. Comments on the part of the code I was indicating are below.

if self.temperatureLimit < 0 then
    if status.resource("temperature") <= self.temperatureLimit then --Never going to happen; temperature is never going to be negative as far as I can tell.
    status.modifyResource("temperature", self.temperatureMod * dt)​
    else return
    end​
    else
    if status.resource("temperature") >= math.abs(self.temperatureLimit) then --Not going to change signs; is going to be always positive and delimit the bottom.
    status.modifyResource("temperature", self.temperatureMod * dt)​
    else return
    end​
    end

There's a second problem, and that's with the side effects of heat/cold. The side effects cause the player to jump far too many blocks into the air in the case of heating. I did the math, and the modifier would, worst case scenario and the temperature was maintained at just above a 0.75 of max, grow unbounded. And that's perfectly possible with a single torch on a garden planet. I also played the mod and entirely without attempting to make that happen, ended up jumping so many blocks that when I came down, the character was nearly killed. The other side is that the player can end up utterly immobilized under the effects of cold (not sure if that's intended, but if it is, that's fine, just want to point it out) and ground friction never returns to zero after the player has warmed back up.

Suggestions on how to fix that: Perhaps bound the modifiers somehow, or tie it completely to how much the player has overheated/frozen rather than the time they've spent overheated. Since there's a max and min to player temperature, that'd stop it from growing too high. I don't think the damage needs to be changed, but it could be. And the ground friction just needs to be reset to zero in the else statement.

Other suggestions that may help with the prior issue on rates and design: Perhaps it would be better to have the adjustment equation for the player temperature be something like: (biome_temperature - player_temperature) * biome_rate * armor_rate. This would bound the growth of temperature increase for heating objects without introducing the need for temperature limits - of course, we'd have to note that these objects would have to actually generate/remove heat rather than having heat. Having heat would require a one-time application of the effect. The higher the difference between temperatures, the faster the player returns to the biome temperature. It's what happens in real life as well.

Thanks for the mod, and hope you manage to complete it. Thumbs up!

EDIT: Amendment; friction set to 20. 0 still is sliding.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2015
    The | Suit likes this.
  9. The | Suit

Thanks - I will look into it.
    The version I have currently is slightly different from what is pushed here.
    I really am not too happy with the way I implemented it - There are a few issues with the base game it self which is preventing me from giving a proper implementation.
    So I figured I will take a break a while till they implement the new features I need to make it a proper temperature mod.

One being Object status AoE.
    The other being the way I implemented Biome Temperature is really messy in multiplayer.
    If there are more than 10 people in a server it will constantly be changing. Though the change would be within small limits but still unnecessary lag for the server.

The other thing is this is my first major lua project [ well code project in general ] :p So chances are a lot of places its piss poorly written.

10. The | Suit

You can set the friction as high as you want.
    This mod supersedes parameters set by the game. - It isn't "modifying" the friction value. Instead it is setting it.

11. Edeon

Edeon Tentacle Wrangler

This is a prototype, i'm working D:

Attached Files:

12. The | Suit

That is pretty nifty.
    Hopefully the game will support adding status bars soon.

13. Edeon

Edeon Tentacle Wrangler

Shup ;d. Hopefully.

Attached Files:

14. Quadrakiller

Quadrakiller Void-Bound Voyager

I found something weird here:
    When i created a character (using the mod),i steped in the first planet,but then i saw some weird thing: the rain didn't stoped,and if stoped,it was for only 1-5 secs to restart
    Is this a bug,or is just some natural thing from the planet?

15. The | Suit

: the rain didn't stoped,and if stoped,it was for only 1-5 secs to restart ?

16. Quadrakiller

Quadrakiller Void-Bound Voyager

(sorry if my english is bad,im german)
    yes,and if i uninstall the mod,the rain go back normal again

17. The | Suit

I am not sure I am going to continue this mod in its current direction.
    If anyone wants to take over and use it along this line feel free to do so.
    Will release one more update to the latest changes.

As I was saying earlier this mod was simply a stepping stone to a survival based mod I was working on.
    My new mod project will look into making temperature slightly different where your propensity for getting an illness or negative status affliction is higher the lower or higher the temperature gets.,
    This will help solve a few problems in design which it currently faces and I think it will be a good direction to move in.

But I am sure some people perfer a more classical approach so if some one wants to take up the mantle on that feel free to use anything here as a stepping stone to do so.

18. tomatelopes

tomatelopes Subatomic Cosmonaut

When? Did you have any ETA?

19. The | Suit

Not really, I am waiting for the new update to come out which solves 2 issues the mod currently has.
    I think the Github has the latest one though - just has not been made available here.

tomatelopes likes this.
  20. The | Suit

Anyway just incase anyone is curious.
    ==

To make this mod multiplayer friendly I will have to rewrite this mod from the ground up again.
    The biggest problem currently is the script consistently modifies the world temperature in a global level. This is problematic when there are multiple people on a planet.

Instead I am going to simplify the script to where each individual unit calculates their temperature independently.
    It should reduce the overhead drastically.

==
    After the changes I will be considering this mod finished in a non playable state.
    I will be incorporating the temperature mod into my survival mo and make the code available to anyone who wants to develop it further.
    Or wants to collaborate and make a singular temperature module which will be compatible with mods across the board.

The real issue in the end game comes down to balance. I know many people are interested in seeing temperature return - but in a practical sense it requires a total overhaul.
    Which as a singular mod is not practical unless other mods are willing to use it.

Hence I will be pushing further development of temperature in a future survival mod project.

greenRAM and tomatelopes like this.