1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

Outdated Temperature Returns [UG] v0.5.1 ( Hot Fix )

Bringing Back Temperature Mechanics to Starbound

1. tedlil

tedlil Pangalactic Porcupine

don't know if it was already in or they added it in one of the lastest patches but there is (i think new) script in assets. entityproxy.lua . So maybe it will be usefull?
    EDIT: i just downloaded v04 of this mod and on the first planet i can't live :D i'm dying because of overheating :eek: but i can jump much higher and walk fast (before i die :D)

Last edited: Feb 8, 2015
    Rankff likes this.
  2. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

For those interested - a new update is there in on the Github
    Nightly is currently broken so I can't test it to add in items. So uploading here will have to wait another day till a new nightly is pushed

It was exaggerated temperatures.
    To test the heat system - the new update on Github is more balanced

3. Rankff

Rankff Void-Bound Voyager

Just tell me when it is ready to be tested and I'll jump on it.

4. MrChow

MrChow Pangalactic Porcupine

In player.config.patch, line 54:
    >"maxStat" : "armorHeatdMax"
    Do I detect a mistype here? It looks like you copypasted the block for armorColdMax and then hastly edited it. :)

5. The | Suit

Thanks man - actually I didn't catch that even now

==
    The delay is a bit much because of a small issue that arose in between when I was dealing with the biomes.
    Namely a point some one else made in another thread about mining underground.

Right now the way it is written its really easy to change any calculated values - but the real question is what to change it too. Either way I will release a provisional update with the items. Though monster projectiles will have to wait till I figure a better way of dealing with it.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
  6. ZIOM5000

ZIOM5000 Void-Bound Voyager

The mod seems to make characters dependent. Learned it the hard way, where I have a character prepared for a RP server, but as soon as I remove the temperature mod, it disappears off the character list. Is there maybe a way to reverse this? I wouldn't really want it all to go to waste.

7. The | Suit

I am really sorry to hear that.
    But I kept all those warning signs for this particular reason.
    Its meant for people who purely want to test it and see the code.

Unfortunetly there isn't much you can do. In order for the temperature system to work it has to add files to the core character. Those core statistics are saved into your character file.
    But for future advice any mod which adds core features - cannot be removed. Just like Any mod which adds core files to the universe like new biomes etc.

I suggest for future testing though you keep seperate storage folders. And switch them in and out when testing mods.
    Just rneame your giraffe_storage to use various "mod packs" That way your characters will remain specific to those mods.
    So all your characters won't get effected at once.

8. ZIOM5000

ZIOM5000 Void-Bound Voyager

I am fully aware the mod is in such a state and that's exactly why I've decided to give it a try.

I had no clue that the mod would render the only character I had at the time unusable and have only jumped on the game for a few minutes to see how it's working.
    Perhaps it would be for the best to include that specific warning, so that others avoid what happened to me. By saying that it's only for testing purposes, many don't quite know what exactly could happen.

Thanks nonetheless and.. cheers!

The | Suit likes this.
  9. bluecollarart

bluecollarart Big Damn Hero

Fantastic mod! I'm working on something to make biome hazards more interesting, this might be a big help. :) I have some questions, if I may.

I'm very confused by the directory structure of your status effects. Does the name of the folder just not matter at all? For instance: the "garden" statuseffect is in a folder called "biome", and I'm not sure how Starbound is able to figure out to look in that directory to find that status effect. Does it just sorta look everywhere, and the names of the folders don't really matter?

The bigger question, though, is about Ephemeral Effects. I notice you use some, but I'm not really sure what the difference between them and normal status effects are. Even weirder, you have them containted in their own special subdirectory (\temperature\stats\effects\biome\specialEffects) of a normal status effect. Why is that? And what benefits do you gain from using an ephemeral effect in the first place?

I hope you can answer my questions. Thanks a lot for this mod.

10. The | Suit

The folder issue is more 2 fold.
    There are alot of yeses and a lot of no's
    • Yes it matters if you are patching vanilla files.
    • Yes it matters if you are pointing to a specific asset [ sounds \ pictures \ animations \ etc ]
    • No it doesn't matter where you place custom assets.

Ephemeral simply means lasts for a limited amount of time. Starbound developers wanted to use a "fancy" word.
    So essentially all status effects are actually ephemeral - while those provided by techs are persistent

Unlike previous versions of the game status effects require a Lua to process the status effects.
    If you can make an all purpose lua file you can create as many status effects which use that lua fille to process the data.

I honestly don't remember what I kept in the current version - but the Github version is a little cleaner.
    ==

Out of curiosity what are you planning to do with your mod?
    After writing the temperature API i will be expanding it to other fields such as poison resistance \ fire resistance \ radiation resistance/

11. bluecollarart

bluecollarart Big Damn Hero

So, the reason hunger was removed was because basically all it did was make you use an item every minute or so, or else you die, and it wasn't very interesting, right? Thing is, hazardous planet types have a similar problem right now.

Let's take moons. They have this special unique biome type, so it should make exploring that planet more interesting, more fun. But it doesn't work out like that - if you head to a moon without a Breath Protection suit, the only thing that happens is you start suffocating and slowly taking damage. And, what's even worse, is that once you get the Breath Protection suit, it completely removes the moon's only unique property. These nanosuit techs actually remove features from the game.

In practice, what this means is that there are two possibilities:
    1. Either you visit a moon before you get the nanosuit tech, you'll be forced to keep using bandages, or else the breath bar will be depleted and you'll die... almost exactly the same mechanic as the old hunger system that was judged uninteresting
    2. Or you visit a moon after you get the nanosuit tech, and you find a moon that's had its uniqueness removed, and feels exactly the same as every other planet type
    Not great. There's a general issue in this game that although the various planet types have very varied looks, they mostly sort of play the same. The biomes with unique hazards are one of the exceptions, but you have to choose between completely disabling the unique hazards, or playing with them but having them kill you! And even if you play with the hazards, they're not really fun or interesting, just punishing in a boring way.

My mod, then, offers more of a middle-ground. I'm changing the hazards to be more unique and more interesting to play, and changing the nanosuits so they don't completely remove the hazards, but just make them less harmful. For example, Ice worlds would no longer damage you or slow you down (that's just frustrating), but they make you very slippery and hard to control and make your techs freeze up* and stop working. The nanosuit enables your techs, but leaves you with a very small amount of slipperiness - not enough to make it hard to control, but enough to make the planet still feel different.

I was excited to see your mod, because right now characters get "chilled" as soon as they beam down to the planet. It'd be more interesting if you slowly get cold over time, and hopefully your mod will give me some insight about how to make that work.

*I actually still haven't figured out a way to disable techs without just disabling the entire energy bar... I don't want to prevent Novakids from using their guns, that's too harsh, they basically won't be able to attack at all... I just want to lock out or disable tech use. Hopefully I figure out some way to do that!

Starbound playa and greenRAM like this.
  12. The | Suit

xxswatelitexx updated Temperature Returns with a new update entry:

Version 0.5. All Armors + New Weather Effects + Items + Biomes

Read the rest of this update entry...

greenRAM likes this.
  13. Lord_Willie

Lord_Willie Void-Bound Voyager

I like this mod can you make it more than a proof of concept you could really got it good,so if you could plz improve and refine it be more than a proof of concept

14. The | Suit

Ya right now balancing it with requires people to test it. To tell me where it needs to be more colder \ warmer \ etc.
    Once I get the raw data - things can develop much faster.

15. Goldobsidan

Goldobsidan Phantasmal Quasar

Im not sure if you have though about it but incase you havent. For the object "AOE" effect, there use to be a status on torches and camp fires thatd give "warming" or something like that which activated at a distance from the object. If that fails the buff capsules have a AOE but its very small. Using a system like that but making it constant rather then single use could work as well. I love the idea and I cant wait for a non dev version.

16. The | Suit

Ya - that was available prior to upbeat giraffe. When they moved to the new Lua based status effect system it was removed.
    Now status effects are only applied when standing directly infront of the object.

Meta says he will look into readding it - when he has time.

17. Lord_Willie

Lord_Willie Void-Bound Voyager

Well i liked the old system before the updates and plz and modded races,so if you could remake that but with modded race sport,oh and racial bonus. That's me feedback

18. The | Suit

Excuse me, but can you clarify this part?
    This mod is purely an API of vanillia.
    If you wish for modded races to be able to use this, you will need to contact the author of the modded race.
    The documentation to allow custom races to get access to this is fairly straight forward.
    So it will be easy for any mod author to add support for their race.

Remake what?
    ==

Racial Support doesn't seem to be possible at this time. Though I will look more into in the future.[DOUBLEPOST=1425274464][/DOUBLEPOST]For anyone interested to see how the system works without having to look through the code.
    I am starting to do some small work on the wiki
    https://github.com/xxswatelitexx/Starbound_Temperature/wiki

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
  19. Shadow Wolf TJC

Shadow Wolf TJC Spaceman Spiff

I've been experimenting with something similar, but more simplified, during my spare time, so maybe I'd better take a look at this. I wonder if this could be tweaked to add more kinds of environmental hazards, like high radiation, high pressure, and high chance of catching a disease...

20. The | Suit

You can do pretty much anything you want with this framework.
    Later on I am planning on adding support for Fire Resistance \ Poison Resistance \ Radiation Resistance etc.