Suggestions about Children

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by konigin-der-nacht, Oct 19, 2016.

1. konigin-der-nacht

konigin-der-nacht Aquatic Astronaut

I can't wait for children to be able to grow up past toddler stage. When they do get a little bit older, I was thinking that the gifts we give them could influence their future career. For instance, if we want our child to be a farmer, we gift them eggs or produce. If we want them to be a miner, we give them rocks and minerals.
    This could also be expanded to where our child could follow us around while we work, and the activities we do would influence them. Or we could take them to visit other townspeople; for instance, having them visit Harvey a lot would make them want to be a doctor.

Basically, think an expanded version of the child system in Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life.

Then, when the child is grown up, we get to see what they do with their life. Maybe they'll go to the city and become a rich doctor, only sending you a letter every now and then. Or maybe they stay to help you out on the farm, supplementing income or gifting you some high quality produce.

• MacWhinny

MacWhinny Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I like this idea. 1 that they grow up and 2 have there own lives and can help around the farm and or around the village. 3 that we can have more than 1 child

Dcarlos likes this.
      • Chukkaque

Chukkaque Void-Bound Voyager

cant you have at least 2 kids? I thought you could, could be mistaken though. But yeah I'd like to see kids grow up if you play long enough.

• MacWhinny

MacWhinny Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'm unsure, not had any yet, waiting to get lucky :D ahahahaha

• CarolineNz

CarolineNz Void-Bound Voyager

Haha! I got 2 kids, but Im now in year five. It took like 2 years to get lucky :eek:
            My toddler doesn't do anything. I wish I could at least give him/her presents.

I would give them ice cream every day <3

Dcarlos and ChaosAzeroth like this.
            • hmfanbtnann

hmfanbtnann Void-Bound Voyager

I love this idea, but I imagine it might be difficult to implement. Plus, if your children age up, I feel like the rest of the villagers should too. Or at least Vince and Jas. But that really was a great feature from AWL!

• BarbarianRas

BarbarianRas Void-Bound Voyager

I'm thinking not only do your kids grow up, but everyone else gets married and has kids. Penny (my mrs) is gonna need a legit school house for everyone.

farmerbunbun and Ailsaek like this.
                • Ailsaek

Ailsaek Subatomic Cosmonaut

That would be a fantastic update preferably as a quest to gather money and materials. Rival marriages, rival kids, NPCs aging, it would be awesome. I'd also love to see a new young NPC added who marries whoever was your rival for the person you marry. Maybe the wizard could get an apprentice?

MacWhinny and farmerbunbun like this.
                  • Pongles

Pongles Lucky Number 13

What I would worry about, with the addition of people aging, marrying, having children, etc. is that it will force players to have to focus on choosing a partner and marrying them before the town marries off. Doing so would mean the early game would be focused on that instead of the player being able to choose what they want to focus on.

That said, it would be neat to be able to influence your children to choose what area of expertise they want (even if it's just within the farm as a worker, or within the town as an apprentice). Also having events over the years that help define your child's thinking (i.e. issues with bullying, breakups, etc.) would be cool.

Although, I don't think my parents gifting me produce and animal products would make me want to work on a farm.

MacWhinny likes this.
                    • TimeLord97

TimeLord97 Space Spelunker

Maybe to avoid this it can be coded into the game that candidates can't consider other singles for marriage until after a certain number of years have passed? Make it a late-game addition? Vincent and Jas would be the most noticeable aging characters and they still have a good four years or so until they're teenagers, and maybe this can be the point when other single people are like "crap, the kids are growing up and we're still single, we gotta do something about this." Most players would most likely have already picked their SO at this point, and even then it opens up the idea (though bad in my eyes but hey, maybe others want to play like this) of love affairs between marriages, since divorce is an option now and if the player decides they want to try someone else that already married someone there could be an affair? Now it sounds like I'm overthinking this :rofl:.

MacWhinny and farmerbunbun like this.
                      • Pongles

Pongles Lucky Number 13

Maybe have something in-game like a shrine that you can gift an item to that breaks some sort of time spell put over the town (or the world!), that way you can wait to deal with aging until you are ready for it.

• TimeLord97

TimeLord97 Space Spelunker

I like that idea better! Incorporate more magic into the game :D

• CarolineNz

CarolineNz Void-Bound Voyager

Good point!!!