1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Important Stretch Goal Thoughts -- Pets?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by mollygos, Apr 19, 2013.

?

Pets as a stretch goal?

1. Yay!

1,534 vote(s)
    64.9%
  2. Nay!

827 vote(s)
    35.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Going on the poll results, the comments, and the fact that there's not a whole lot else we can promise without delaying the game further, we have decided to go with pets.

However, your feedback has been super useful and we're going to take absolutely all of it into considering in designing how the pets function, how useful they are, how best to customize them, the fact that not everyone will want one, etc.

You've trusted us so far, so I hope you'll trust that we'll make the pet system as awesome as possible. :) <3 We're not gonna release a buncha useless junk.

Daled, ErekoseDM, Fjupp and 28 others like this.
  2. Tea Mate

Tea Mate Existential Complex

I was leaning towards clicking the "no" option, but the first post was so touching I withheld my vote.

Zaniel likes this.
  3. That's Ok then. But since there is already Monster Capture / Taming...
    I don't understand how can you make a System over a System, that will likely do the same thing?
    Madness!

4. Dynafols

Dynafols Black Hole Surfer

Alright then, best of luck and tell the other devs the same! (Make it my game of the year and there may be some cake for you.... )

5. Quixotic

Quixotic Big Damn Hero

I trust you guys. All my friends trust you guys. You guys read the community and do well with stuff. Pets as buff slaves, or even pets that we can interact with (If only another stretch goal already done added... bones we could throw!) or something- I know y'all 'll come up with something great!

Look forward to the release!/

6. NewLiar

NewLiar Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Will we be able to collect all the pets? (All your race's pets + other race's pets)

Ellie and Zaniel like this.
  7. Tyrindor

Tyrindor Space Kumquat

It makes it worse for me. I want a sense of progression. I want to feel weak and useless when I first make a character, and by the end feel unstoppable. Adding a pet to help us at the beginning will require them to either re-balance the beginning of the game, or we will lose that "weakness" feeling we start with. That feeling is one of the reasons I enjoy these game, the sense of progression is amazing and you can look back at how far you came. If pets are there to help us at the start, when they originally were not intended to be, they will take away from some of that feeling.

A brand new character should feel extremely limited.

This!

8. icepick37

icepick37 Phantasmal Quasar

Whoo pets! :D

9. Raiden Firewing

Raiden Firewing Void-Bound Voyager

It would be awesome if the pets could carry a part of our inventory, or at least pick up items on the ground and bring it to the player.

10. Pie4Pigs

Pie4Pigs Existential Complex

Like I said, little information has been revealed about the pets. We don't know how much of an edge they'll give you gameplay wise, so don't make assumptions.

11. Squigles

Squigles Title Not Found

Please dont let this be the 1 million stretch goal.....i want something AMAZING as the goal for 1 million

12. Autzome

Autzome Black Hole Surfer

it's not releasing a system over a system, it's giving you a pet using the same system but from the start.

13. Edanthedwarf

Edanthedwarf Aquatic Astronaut

I think that as long people want to buy the game that they did not even have to have the stench goals but they did so it is more stuff for the game. How can that be bad?

14. Keychain

Keychain Pangalactic Porcupine

Disappointing. I would've been fine if it was a 750,000 goal. But not 1M.

15. Freekill

Freekill Pangalactic Porcupine

No offense meant here, but based on the fact that it's been stated a pet system already exists in the game that sounds exactly like what this is going to become.

What's the point of adding another extra layer of pets and mechanics? It would be a better idea to merge the two together and do something more concise, like being able to choose a training regimen for your pets/captured monsters that decides whether they're vanity or combat, and what they're respective duties, abilities, or features would be. The starter pet would just be the most basic form of that system to give you an introduction and possibly remain in your base as a "pet adviser" or something after you move on to bigger and better creatures.

Having some sort of divided and mutually exclusive system just seems incredibly unnecessary.

Thorkellthetall likes this.
  16. Ken_Chihuly

Ken_Chihuly Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Understandable really. Just kind of wish it didn't take another 250k to get them. Was kind of hoping for 150-200k more to get them. Oh well
    Very skeptical about the pre-orders making it to one million at all here.

I know about all the stuff people have said.
    "Oh the trailer will boost pre-orders easily"
    "Pre-orders will close when beta starts, so when beta is announced. People might be more inclinced to pre-order then"

Yeah well I kind of doubt the boost will pass 1 mil.

17. Asrashas

Asrashas Subatomic Cosmonaut

Maybe the cosmetic one works more like a tamagochi with havin needs and stuff. And the fighting pets don't care. Somewhat like this. But as mollygos said: trust them.
    I for my part do.
    Also this is just something that is not throwing anything other out, but something small they can implement without delaying the game further. They of cours could've added some super fancy other thing. But then you would have to wait longer. And I prefere to get this game asap with as much features added as possible, and getting post release content patches.

Zaniel likes this.
  18. kamesennin

kamesennin Starship Captain

I don't really want to read the whole thread here- but does anyone who the function of the pets? Are they going to be like in torchlight, where they fight with you and cary items back to town, or more like in Castle Crashers, where they are mostly for perking your character? Or none of the above?

19. Яetrospekt

Яetrospekt Pangalactic Porcupine

Sorry. I mistyped that xD

20. Tea Mate

Tea Mate Existential Complex

I suppose I can add my thoughts on the subject.
    The way I see it, there are two problems with it:
    1. They should be made optional. And by that I don't mean that you can just skip getting one, but having something else to compensate that strength. I like to be a lone traveller, unless I find something I really like, which almost never happens, because I'm very picky about such things, and search for a very specific companion. Which are almost never added, since not many other people like creatures like that.
    2. Taking care of it. That's what screws up most pet systems and makes them annoying most of the time. "play the game, just remember, part of it is the boring pet feeding, washing and s**t cooping simulator!" That annoys me a great deal when playing games.

Other than that the system is fine (enough) I suppose.

Flemm, dhxmg and viIe like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.