1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Important Stretch Goal Thoughts -- Pets?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by mollygos, Apr 19, 2013.

?

Pets as a stretch goal?

1. Yay!

1,534 vote(s)
    64.9%
  2. Nay!

827 vote(s)
    35.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shane Gaydos

Shane Gaydos Aquatic Astronaut

I JUST WANT TO PLAY!!!! I do think the pets are cool though, but I am honestly just too excited for this game. Chucklefish has impressed me with not only the concept, but the amount of time and detail put into this game. All and all you have my money now I shall patiently wait and imagine I am playing while listening to the amazing soundtrack! :rofl:

Attached Files:

2. Cell

Cell Title Not Found

Disappointing that this is the $1,000,000 i personally thought it would be something else when Molly said it didn't need to be $1,000,000. I think genetic splicing would have been cooler.

viIe and lduffy like this.
  3. You
    You just sounded like Miyagi Confucius

GreenStuff and na3raTTy like this.
  4. lduffy

lduffy Orbital Explorer

molly said it would not be the one million dollar goal :(

5. Khilandros

Khilandros Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I didn't mean $1 mill for the total cost, I meant as the $1 mill goal. This should not be the million goal for what we get, useless vanity pets...look at all the people who also agree.

Edit:
    $250,000 to goal, not 25,000. Your math is wrong.
    Look at the store page, $1 mill for starter pets.

:(

6. RedScarWolf

RedScarWolf Spaceman Spiff

:facepalm: lots of math fail going on now...

Autzome likes this.
  7. Яetrospekt

Яetrospekt Pangalactic Porcupine

As I said. It's only roughly 25k away. Not that much if you think about it, and I'm fairly certain if the devs made a trailer right around now they would easily hit it.

8. Autzome

Autzome Black Hole Surfer

i think you read that wrong, she said it"Doesn't have to be"; that means it could be the 1mill or not.

9. Zaniel

Zaniel Space Penguin Leader

I think we should all go tell as many people about the game as possible so we can get to the next goal. Okaygo!

10. Xelot

Xelot Phantasmal Quasar

I guess it's to avoid having to think about the next reward :p

11. Tyrindor

Tyrindor Space Kumquat

Keep the pets there to keep the 65% happy, but add something else for the other 35%. We need more for $1m when you guys expected only 50-60k. Give us something amazing, hire a few more people to take the task on. I don't feel the goal is worth $1m in preorders, but if that was my only concern I wouldn't care too much. Many of us DON'T want to start with a pet. If they give us the option to not start with a pet, then we lose out on the passive benefits.

Keep the pets there, but expand on it and give the people who focus on combat and building something too! Give us 3 new things for 1 ultimate goal! Your leaving a sour taste in many people's mouths doing this.. Starbound seems to be turning into a pokemon/collecting game.

So you've stated twice now that 1 million is only 25k away from 750k. I'm baffled.

buzzpunk likes this.
  12. Pie4Pigs

Pie4Pigs Existential Complex

Alright. I think I've grown to like the pets. Take a look at the description for a second.

"In addition to the alien creatures you can capture and have fight alongside you as you travel through space, each player has the option of starting out with their very own customize-able pet! Each race has a choice of pets originating from their home planet that they’ll be able to customize through the character create screen.
    They’re not quite strong enough to fight horrifying space monsters like their randomly-generated monster counterparts, but they make for lovable and useful companions all the same!"
    They're going to be useful and customizable. Little information has been released otherwise, so don't be so quick to judge whether they'll be good or not. Keep in mind that this is not 'worth 1 million dollars'. If it was worth the money it takes to get to the goal, Chucklefish wouldn't be making any money. Starbound won't be ruined by starter pets, so calm down pls.

13. Earl Asplund

Earl Asplund The Number of the Minibeast

It said they wouldn't be doing damage at all, so they're completely weaker than tamable counterparts in all respects except cuteness. I don't doubt CF screwing up on the pet system at all, but for $250k additional funding beyond the Fossil stretch goal, and having $1,000,000 earned in total for a game they're not yet putting on Beta, they put....pets? Not something additional for space, or for combat, or for another mechanic of the game that could be put in at/after release?

14. Arindis

Arindis Orbital Explorer

I think that pets are good target. Perhaps with them will do a lot of things. Collect things, guard house, etc.

Silverforte likes this.
  15. Freekill

Freekill Pangalactic Porcupine

Honestly I'm pretty disappointed by this. Not only are starter pets uninteresting (they're not even rare vanity pets that you have to search for to obtain, you pick from a pool when you make your character) they will likely impact my enjoyment in a negative way depending on what the pet options actually are and if we're stuck with them or not. Not to mention the additional visual clutter.

It doesn't add anything to the experience really, at least not enough to justify knocking an actual feature aside for it especially after it was specifically stated that it would not be a large goal but rather a smaller one.

Tyrindor and reversePsychologist like this.
  16. viIe

viIe Void-Bound Voyager

17. Khilandros

Khilandros Scruffy Nerf-Herder

$250,000 to goal, not 25,000. Your math is wrong.

750 + 25 = 775
    750 + 250 = 1 mill

18. gpbg

gpbg Space Hobo

I vote yes on pets but not to start with them

19. Quixotic

Quixotic Big Damn Hero

Pets are already in the game, though. You can have three of them. That do combat! This stretch goal is to start with a purely cosmetic pet.

20. Raiden Firewing

Raiden Firewing Void-Bound Voyager

They stated that pets are completely optional. So noone's going to stuck with anything. But I do agree that I have wished for something... more impressive as the 1 mio goal. But hey, the game was awesome, it still is awesome and I still look forward to playing it.
    I think they could add something ontop of the pets as goal... like holo-logs. Items you drop on the ground and then a bluish, transparentish image appears telling you important, or not so important stuff. Would be a nice way to implement some lore.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.