1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Important Stretch Goal Thoughts -- Pets?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by mollygos, Apr 19, 2013.

?

Pets as a stretch goal?

1. Yay!

1,534 vote(s)
    64.9%
  2. Nay!

827 vote(s)
    35.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EnlightendDead

EnlightendDead Void-Bound Voyager

Add this as a optional effect

2. Exi1e

Exi1e Zero Gravity Genie

Problem with that is that they have no leveling system implemented in the game, otherwise it would be perfectly acceptable.

3. Stargazer

Stargazer Existential Complex

...so it was scrapped because they were focusing on customizing it?

4. Chamomileable

Chamomileable Subatomic Cosmonaut

I think having some control over it would be okay. Giving us the option to have our pet chill on the ship or stay at one spot on the planet would keep them from getting annoying.

5. Ben

Ben Title Not Found

My only problem is that I already plan to tame a whole bunch of monsters, wouldn't these just be vanity pets? Or can you not make your tamed monsters follow you around and stuff?

6. Deotay

Deotay Cosmic Narwhal

I like pets and all but I'd rather see something else.

Drakol likes this.
  7. Ricky Rouse

Ricky Rouse Zero Gravity Genie

I feel that they are essentially throwing away a major opportunity to make money. Alright, they go through with pets that DO NOTHING.

Now no one has any incentive to get the 1 mil. goal. Look at that, less money than if you gave them something to, oh, I don't know, look forward to maybe? And I don't feel like making them semi-notuseless by giving them a small task will help either. He can carry items? Thats great, but is it worth me going out and convincing my 3/10 friends that haven't pre-ordered yet to pour more money into the game?

Even a trailer to show us some gameplay would be better than this. I mean, I hate to sound so pessimistic and slam on this idea so much but really the moment I read "Small pets that look cute and do nothing for another 250 thousand dollars" I felt a little sick

8. Wilduu

Wilduu Space Spelunker

Totally doable though!

9. Awesomized

Awesomized Oxygen Tank

Too bad the game isn't ready for that.

Autzome and Katzeus like this.
  10. FenixR

FenixR Cosmic Narwhal

I don't think they were that properly funded if some devs have to take an extra jobs to make ends. Now with this pre-release funding, those devs can dedicate more of their time to fully work on Starbound which should make it pick a more faster pace than before.

They don't like perks that some players can get for money while some can't get without money.

11. Stargazer

Stargazer Existential Complex

Would the starter pets be optional? I don't want to be forced to always have a pet with me.

12. Patchumz

Patchumz Pangalactic Porcupine

I love the idea of starter pets, but not really as a significant stretch goal tbh. Fossils are very interesting, the race is epic, and starter pets just sound "neat", for a stretch goal.

Still, I want them in the game. Very badly :p.

13. Exi1e

Exi1e Zero Gravity Genie

If I remember correctly, the Space Station was to be the "least" customizable place in the universe. I could be wrong, though.

14. TrinityMoon

TrinityMoon Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Im in different towards having pets, but for the sake of those who do like them and since i'm not against them i voted yes.

My only thing to say is if you gonna do pets try and have it so each pet have a diff purpose like a robot pet might refill energy packs slowly and maybe another pet for another race could be a digging pet which finds ores when u dig. Just random ability's that add additional bonus's but dont really affect gameplay in a huge way.

gotta say think i would like the fossils more if u could make them into statues or revive them into ancient monsters. both would be cool xD

15. LeJon

LeJon Space Spelunker

Don't really think pets are needed as there will be too many characters+pets showing up on screen especially in a Coop game. Might seem a bit annoying since they are mostly only there for show.

Maybe implement a Companion which only follows you for some of the Starbound quests?

Miriadis likes this.
  16. Yoshinom

Yoshinom Master Chief

I'm trying to think of other things people may like other than pets...

Maybe that whole ship-to-ship combat thing? Though I think this was discussed elsewhere as a possible post-release thing.
    A romance system that-- you know what? I've played too much harvest moon.
    New animations that you can execute with key bindings or chat commands for new communication options? Or is that too small/stupid of a thing?
    SPACE-WALKING?! (Yeah, no idea where I was going with that)

Welp, I don't have too many ideas. Although I think there's plenty of possible ideas in the suggestion thread that might seem like a good stretch goal reward that won't hinder progress of the game.

Miriadis and ErekoseDM like this.
  17. ShadedBlade

ShadedBlade Phantasmal Quasar

I sort of like the idea of pets, but I can't see the AI on them working well enough to be helpful in the slightest. I'd much rather some other feature to encourage resource gathering and exploration (like fossils will) or some sort of trial-and-error sciencey stuff like mutating monsters. I really want some optional "achievement" goals to make the end-game worth playing.

18. Drakol

Drakol Space Hobo

Personally, I've stated that the Probability of it being 1 Million, is higher than any statement on the matter. Until a real solid fact is given.
    As that statement is "doesn't have to be $1 million" - It does not mean, it will not be 1 million.

Something with real intrinsic value or significant change to the game would give more enthusiastic replies.

19. If they react to the environment, like splashing in water, donning a helmet or a suit when the player does, and other pet-like behaviors. I think it will be AWESOME to implement. Just think of a little Nova-puppy :D. I like the idea, I'd just like to be the pets to be optional of course, for role-playing purposes mostly. I know I wanna make a loner space traveler during my adventure with Starbound

NovastarX likes this.
  20. KuraiRyuu

KuraiRyuu Space Kumquat

I'd love pets. I'd love it more if you could have the pets run around on their own like on your home planet. As well as having more than 1 pet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.