1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Important Stretch Goal Thoughts -- Pets?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by mollygos, Apr 19, 2013.

?

Pets as a stretch goal?

1. Yay!

1,534 vote(s)
    64.9%
  2. Nay!

827 vote(s)
    35.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SmoothGuy

SmoothGuy Phantasmal Quasar

YUSH PETS,but..please not overhyped cyborgs,just pets,dogs,cats ...and that stuff
    besides that,AWESOME idea! I really like it for such a game like that!

2. melodyburst

melodyburst Big Damn Hero

We won't listen to you because you have a woman's name.

GreatEvilBetty likes this.
  3. Reysol

Reysol Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Exactly!

People are becoming seriously greedy now. Acting like Chucklefish owes them big time...
    You guys pre-ordered a game. Maybe you paid way more than you had to cause you felt generous. Don't let it get over your heads!

4. Xelot

Xelot Phantasmal Quasar

It would be nice to be able to buy pets in settlements of different races, but not having one from scratch.

IndieGamerRid likes this.
  5. Deltron3O3O

Deltron3O3O Master Chief

it's my opinion, that is all

6. Lirinya

Lirinya Orbital Explorer

Yes, I'd love non-combat pets.

Though they would need some kind of control. They could add a nice little section to the game if people just want to idly do nothing really.

Pets like Habbo, you can teach them little tricks, level them up which has no real purpose I don't think, and train them. Feeding them, keeping them happy too.
    Pets like the wolves and cats on Minecraft, being able to make them sit somewhere and stay there, making it so they can follow you, if you get too far ahead - have them teleport or run superextrafast to get to you.

Things would be needed so they're not just a nuisance. I also wouldn't like being limited to one or two types of pet just because of the race I choose (especially if it's a dog, I'm a cat person.) But maybe something along the lines of being able to tame foreign pets, they would just be more difficult and perhaps require certain items (again, like Minecraft) that would grow on certain planets?

If they would be simple starter pets, then at least some customization option to choose how the look and some control option (stay and follow).

There's a lot you could do with pets, even if they're not combat based. Torchlight 2 has it's pets which, while fight, can be used as an extra inventory and can take the items to the store and sell them. I think Minecraft is also having Donkeys that have chests on them? I never saw that work in Inthelittlewoods play of the new snapshot though so I'm not 100%.

7. bowser7

bowser7 Industrial Terraformer

Darn,was hoping for a better idea than pets...

Perhaps like,exploring meteors at game launch?

8. Shock

Shock Spaceman Spiff

Starter pets should have been lower down in stretch goal stages, as should fossils. They're both quite bad ideas, no offense.

Garneac, Sabre and Deltron3O3O like this.
  9. Clitcomander

Clitcomander Space Hobo

First off holy man, NO ONE CAN READ!??!?! ITS NOT GOING TO BE A MILLION:chrono:
    :chucklefish:
    I would some how include a time travel feature. there would be 3 possible times to travel to.....each planet can be visited in 3 different times. one being Jurassic, the second being current time civilization as we know it. the third would be the ruins, since this is the future the ruins are like the end of time. This would work well with the fossil idea.(as you can only obtain them in either current or ruins time) The animals are alive versions of the fossils in Jurassic time.
    Each time would make each planet have three possible themes and honestly endless possibilities as to missions.:iswydt:
    IN addition, because worlds and races develop at different rates, each world you visit will be in one of the current times already. some will be Jurassic, some will already be in ruins, BUT you can travel to each time for each world obtaining and completing what you need.

I honestly think time travel is a MUST for space as they technically have to to travel light years!!!!
    This could lead to a FUTURE update where you can BLEND items form different times to make epic new items.

All that, or a Borg race that takes over worlds and you have to fight them though out the galaxy in order to beat the game.

I spent hours thinking of the ideas above....I would shed a tear of joy if the admins and developers of Star Bound replied.:cry:

10. waspennator

waspennator Void-Bound Voyager

Personally, I think adding pets in is a great idea...... and I see that there are people that believe that anyone who votes for this stretch goal is an idiot.

11. Psych

Psych Void-Bound Voyager

IMO, non-combat pets are not a bad idea, but if they need to add something more substantial and are having trouble coming up with some good ideas, they should look in the suggestions forum for ideas/inspiration. Sure, some of the ideas there may not be applicable or may not fit into their vision for the game, but maybe reading them might help them come up with something they might not have thought of.

Sorry, I know that's kind of like saying "Don't ask me, I don't know!", but really, from looking through these forums, anything that could be suggested has already been suggested (or already implemented). I'd probably just be repeating something that someone else said.

12. bowser7

I dunno about the fossils thingy.I'm actually excited to have something like that in the game,and It's kind of something unusual.
    And would probably be fun :)

JackOfAllTrades and Lyrael like this.
  13. Bethor

Bethor Big Damn Hero

We will get NPCs to interact with and help and get in our bases/spaceships and what not. If i have NPC's to interact with, there is no real need for a pet that follows you around now is there. I'd rather have NPC's i can take with me when raiding places. Essentially NPCs to interact with > Pets

14. This is already planned.

15. bowser7

I don't see this idea fitting well in the game...no offense.

16. Casm

Casm Scruffy Nerf-Herder

totally your opinion and I respect it. However, I love the idea of fossils and I'm okay with the starter pets.

Keep in mind, there's always room for improvement. Honestly, if I can eventually mount a T-Rex skull on my mech and commit mass alien-animal genocide with it, well, the mere thought of it sexually arouses me.

There's also plenty of room to improve on the initial idea of starter pets. If there's anything this game has, it's potential to grow and improve.

17. Dragten

Dragten Void-Bound Voyager

I personally do not really care about non-combat pets, unless they really appeal to me (for instance a bird that would follow you around or even land on your shoulder).
    Perhaps it would be better to have something more... practical or grand. Like another choice of spaceship design or perhaps some kind of decorative item that would become something like a centerpiece in base or in a collection.

Bethor likes this.
  18. Phyrex

Phyrex Parsec Taste Tester

so were the novakids and the fossils.
    the extra income chucklefish received simply allow them to hire additional manpower to complete these specific objective without slowing down actual developments.
    which is incredibly generous if you think of it because knowing they would of gotten to it eventually, they could have just kept the whole wad of cash for themselves

19. Iroza

Iroza Phantasmal Quasar

Pets -> Non-combat pets. (was mentioned they could provide some help like finding treasure / alert inc danger)
    Monster taming -> Monsters that help in combat too ? (could be just me understood it wrongly)

Anyway im sure it will be nice addition to game even if it will be just vanity pets, not that im fond of pet blocking view all the time. Some mind find them adorable to be around :monkey:

20. wsensor

wsensor Subatomic Cosmonaut

I voted for yes but... I am not really 100% sure.
    I think there are many other things that could be done as a stretch goal but can't really think of any haha.
    It's like my mind goes blank when thinking of different things that would be better.

JackOfAllTrades likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.