Modding Discussion Still working on Generated Quests

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by magewish4, Feb 21, 2017.

1. magewish4

magewish4 Pangalactic Porcupine

Hey All!

I'm still digging into building my own generated quests. I've gotten the 'Mission Quest' mostly worked out and am putting it up on GitHub at https://github.com/pixlar/starboundQuests. Please steal it, use it, improve it, and comment on it - we could use some mods adding new quests. :D

I'm trying to figure out other generated quests - any suggestions for what I can work on next? I'm working on a 'repair this item' quest for my space stations, but after that I'm not sure...

Inf_Wolf14, bk3k, IHart and 1 other person like this.
  2. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

One quest type I wanted to look into was,

"get a specific number of a certain item" for a generated quest.
    Yet I didn't have time to break down how to do it for generated.

The Lua code seems to be for item tags?

Example -
    I want to make a Blacksmith Tenant that only requests Blacksmith Parts ( Ores \ Tools \ Etc )
    Any help in that would be greatly appreciated.

bk3k and IHart like this.
  3. magewish4

So - this is similar to the repair quest I've been working on (request a number of objects, insert fluff text about stuff being fixed). I've got a wonky version of it that works for now, but I'm trying to fix it to be less... awful. Creating a 'fetch quest' and adding it to the generated quest pool isn't difficult - its getting it to pull the items from a pool. I'll keep looking into it and post when I get something working.

To clarify - were you trying to build a quest that hooks into the quest chain system, or just asks for items?

4. The | Suit

Oh doesn't matter, I am happy with anything.

Even bare bones will do.
    I am just want a really basic fetch quest in the end of the day to make tenants feel more realistic.

Cooks request ingredients, Hunters request Animal parts, Etc.
    Essentially I just need to be able to some how to make a unique pool for each type of fetch quest. Instead of one pool that just grabs items randomly.

5. magewish4

Added a folder with a fetch quest example - https://github.com/pixlar/starboundQuests/tree/master/fetchQuests - used your blacksmith idea as the example for the items

This uses the lua script from the other generated fetch quests, so it's all config files. You could keep the text in the .questtemplate file generic and just reference different item list pools in the questpool file or create multiple questtemplates for each type of quest.

The | Suit likes this.
  6. The | Suit

Thanks,
    Oh wow you managed to do it without changing the lua?

7. magewish4

Yep! The fetch.lua script is apparently pretty flexible - it's used in a few different quests. I mostly just had to remove the requirements that connect it to other quests.

Can't wait to see new quests come out!

The | Suit likes this.
  8. The | Suit

Oh nothing worth while I assure you.
    I just wanted the quests given by certain tenants to feel less random.

Though Ill post the finished mod link here when done.