1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Still waiting for the hunger bar to come back, what happened?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by WingedSpear, Apr 11, 2015.

1. PyreStarite

PyreStarite Space Kumquat

I'm sure this has already been said so bear with me. I don't really want to go through 40 posts to not sound repetitive. @Raizion ^^^ See above for Lazy definition, that's me. ^^^

I think
    *Turns Italics off* I think that readding hunger and tempture would add some depth and challenge into the game that it might be currently lacking as it is now. Again I said might to avoid stepping on toes.
    Comon. You can literally hold 1000 steaks in an inventory slot, what is the deal with adding a hunger feature? I'm all for immersion and when hunger mechanics don't exist in a game I role play with it regardless.

"Oh, haven't eaten in a while. Guess I'll just snack on something and keep my strength up. Not like it will deteriorate" Something. This is a bad example.

Starbound: Eats entire entree. Can't eat again 5 minutes for more healing. Drinks cruddy Cactus Juice. Can't eat again for 5 minutes for actual healing.

Minecraft: Eats 4 Entire Steaks, then goes exploring. Feels perfectly fine, not like throwing up for eating way too much at all.

Skyrim: Drinks homemade soup (Yes, I cook). Can now power attack for 5 minutes straight...and heals slightly faster, but can power attack for 5 minutes straight.

Ignore my idiocy if you don't agree with what I've said. I'm just throwing things together that came in my mind.
    Go Home I'm Drunk on Cocacola.

2. WingedSpear

WingedSpear Big Damn Hero

mmm i dont think you really know what are we talking about, you could try to find one old update of the game and try it out, it totally worth the time because the old planet system was very interesting, not balanced but interesting, also you could totally enjoy the heat system and try the old hunger system.

3. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

There is only a gutted config file for hunger containing the text your character says at different hunger stages. For temperature, the temperature meter textures exist, but are unused anywhere.

Both features are very much not in the game currently.

4. Vandrick

Vandrick Phantasmal Quasar

I hope hunger stays out completely unless it's implemented entirely differently. If it's the sort of thing where maintaining it become tedious, it needs to stay gone. There's a reason in most novels they don't waste any time showing the characters eating or taking a piss. I love survival games, but as many survival aspects as Starbound might have, it's not particularly a survival game. In games like Stranded Deep, etc, hunger and surviving IS the main (and pretty much the only) point. Starbound is much more. Hunger for the sake of "staying alive" in Starbound takes away from the things you want to be doing if you ask me, and is more annoying than it is fun.

That said, I love farming and cooking, so food in the game is great! But keep it to buffs, not survival. This makes it something that engages the player, something they seek out to do because they want to rather than load up on whatever just because they have to click a food hotbar every once in awhile. Let it be a perk for those who want to do it. At the very most I could probably settle for something close to Minecraft where you don't particularly need food, but just won't regenerate health unless you are fed.

Either way, I guess it don't matter too much since I'm sure there'd be a mod in no time that removed hunger.

5. Raizion

Raizion Scruffy Nerf-Herder

@PyreStarite I always just assumed it was held within the Matter Manipulator ever since it was noted that a vast amount of liquids could be stored within in. I don't know, like pokemon I guess. All your material were turned digital. You collect stuff with it and you place stuff with it after all. All-Purpose futuristic tool.

Though it's obvious by now this topic is looping in circles.

lazarus78 likes this.
  6. de0lsu

de0lsu Subatomic Cosmonaut

My favorite pastime in the game was to plant some tomato seeds, grow them, and then sell them to shops. I remember on some multiplayer servers, some players would ask if anyone had extra food and naturally I had a ton. Was nice to help out, every now and then. I remember finding a forest planet with an aurora and crystal rain. While growing tomatoes, I'd have my character sitting outside of my mobile base and get to watch the sky at night.

Having the hunger system in place encouraged me to do the above activity and provided me with a nice level of immersion in the Starbound universe.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2015
  7. WingedSpear

Also one of my best builds i have done in the game was based in my food farm, started by a regular house, i had to make a farm for food, and i was thinking, that farm look bad, i need to do something, i improved it a lot, then the house didnt matched with the farm, so i changed my house, and ended up with an awesome house with a really good looking, and useful farm, now i dont want to build a farm if i dont need it.

Mood, Akre and Darklight like this.
  8. BloodyFingers

BloodyFingers The End of Time

Hunger will stay out of casual difficulty forever. If you don't like those survival features, there is an option where it is nonexistant. So no need to worry about that.

However, they made a vague promise of survival mechanics in higher difficulties (I'd guess something like Hardcore mode from Fallout: New Vegas). Personally I don't think it will be implemented anytime soon, if at all. In fact I think that, if people forget about it in the future, they might just drop that plan altogether.

9. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

You would like that wouldn't you. This very thread is proof people are NOT forgetting that feature. No matter how much you wish they would

10. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Ive not forgotten hunger... *shudders*

As much as I hate the "Make it optional" montra, I think the best option in this case would be to... make it optional. Some quick check boxes either in game or at character creation to individually turn on or off either hunger or temperature.

11. Raizion

Raizion Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Even if it wasn't optional, someone would just make a mod to disable it. Kind of like Energy.

12. BloodyFingers

BloodyFingers The End of Time

No, I wouldn't.

I just stated what I believe will be the course of development. I'm not sure where you got the idea that I wished people would just forget about this, but my apologies if that's the impression I gave.

The impression I got when they mentioned survival for higher difficulties is that it will be done when the game is near gold. That they released those plans at that point in order to pacify the community. Re-adding survival seem to be pretty low on Chucklefish's priority list.

Edit:
    Bottom line is: Hunger is gone for those who disliked it. And hunger is promised to return for those who liked it, so long as a large demand for it is kept alive. So what good does bickering about its (non)existence do?

Last edited: Apr 25, 2015
    Dunto likes this.
  13. WingedSpear

Thats the point of this topic, let the developers know that we want that feature, and we are still waiting for it, so we wont forget it until they do something about it.

vanella, Akre, de0lsu and 3 others like this.
  14. Rissquette

Rissquette Subatomic Cosmonaut

I'd like to take this time to once again point out that the removing of hunger from the game is temporary. Even if it's useless and irritating to some, or a fun and cool feature to others, the mechanic itself WILL be back as an optional feature in the near future... Although, probably Starbound's version of "near future," meaning it will be a long while before it is back... but still, only temporary.

15. Garatgh Deloi

Garatgh Deloi Master Astronaut

While the devs have said that "they will be back", they have also said that "everything is subject to change". And at least one dev have said "they may be back" instead of "they are guaranteed to be back". So i wouldent be so certain that they are still planning to bring them back.

16. Rissquette

Rissquette Subatomic Cosmonaut

I'm not aware they've said anything else about it since January of this year, so I'll take your word for it.

17. Eranderil Grey

Eranderil Grey Phantasmal Quasar

I acknowledge that I am most likely beating a dead horse here, but for me the removal of hunger made Starbound trivial and uninteresting. I have repeatedly tried to get into the game since the removal of hunger, and frankly the Terrariacloneness is deadly boring. If I wanted to play Terraria.... I would go play Terraria, which I also own. I am aware devs mentioned long ago that hunger would "likely be back in some form or other, possibly as a harder dificulty setting" but to be honest it should not have been removed to begin with.

"But Eran hunger made it impossible to step away for _______!" (although actually it just made so i couldnt farm _________ easily and cheaply, but ima use rl as an excuse)" <( I am aware this is not true for all people and that some people actually have real lives. I just hold those for whome it is true in extreme distaste and disrespect.)​

Yeah, I don't care. Actually - GOOD. If you don't want to lose pixels, don't step away for a long period of time, or if you are going to, log out first. Sleep in a bed first. Either takes two seconds. This, to me, is as the game should be. It gives you reason to stay active, attentive, to be cautious, and discourages setting up cheap farms and such which people could just afk from in order to havest pixels from critters or grow crops or ect. Its not as if hunger was ever any real kind of threat (excluding when you very first start), that is, as long as you were actually playing the game. Temperture, while it is a good way to limit progress, could be a bit problematic, but still was never really any terrible threat once you learned how to work around it.

If the devs wanted to (temporarily or otherwise) make the game easier, they should have had lower dificulty settings impact the magnitude of hunger and cold and warm. On lower settings the balance of temperture would be harder to disrupt and food last significantly longer, and harder dificulties food drains faster and temperature be easier to disrupt.

For me, Ideally: Seperate "hunger/ temp/ oxygen/ poison/ect environ hazards" from difficulty altogether. Have it be its own seperate set of options. Name it "Environment Sensativity" or something. At the lowest setting hunger depletes over a matter of hours, Temperture,(which should include extremes both hot and cold) is hard to create problems with at all and never really poses any risk unless you go in stark naked. At the highest setting hunger would deplete in a matter of minutes to death, and temperature extremes would be a severly dangerous risk unless you went prepaired. Obviously the middle setting would be a more moderate and realistic value.

This would mean when building a base heating and cooling on more extreme planets would be VERY important on harder settings while more of an afterthought on lower settings. AFKers wouldn't have any real space to whine being that, while setting up afk farms would suck, they would have more than enough time to step away to tend to whatever social media (or hopefully real world issue) is too pressing to wait. Ensuring a base has oxygen or that you are equiped with the right stuff would be needed to ensure LIFE.

- T - L - D - R - Reinstate hunger. Expand cold to include heat as well. Should NOT be optional to have, but should be optionally lienient or stringent or in between. I do not like afkers in terms of this game and do believe they deserve to lose (ALL) their pixels because perfectly resonable measure existed in game to circumvent hunger/ temp without it needing to be removed.[DOUBLEPOST=1430412847][/DOUBLEPOST]Fastest "Like" ever. Most people consider me too harsh.^

18. Taich

Taich Tentacle Wrangler

Literally the only reason I collect food in starbound is for my ship pet. Some aspects of food I like but others I despise

19. XRiZUX

XRiZUX Spaceman Spiff

Actually that reminds me, I thought it would be really sweet if the AI had field of view, kinda like how the flashlight can't pass through walls, so the light in that case would be the AI's field of view, and would only be alerted when seeing an enemy or a projectile, etc.

Anyways, on topic... I want hunger and similar to be optional. And I do wish it was improved on, so it would be more fun than it is annoying once you go hungry. Like someone else already said, hunger gets in the way when you have done everything you can in the game, but it is fun in a survival focused gameplay, either on a server or alone, or maybe take the time on how long you survived and have a friend try beating the time. (playing on a server would be the most fun though if you ask me)

Edit:

Completely agree with all this btw. The AI is still very dull, there could be a lot more done with it.

Last edited: May 2, 2015
  20. Severite

Severite Subatomic Cosmonaut

No, hunger and temperature did not add tonnes to the 'difficulty', however, it was worth virtual weight in gold for the amount of immersion it added. Yes, my mega farm meant that I never ever ran out of food. But, as a interesting side note, I have built exactly 0 mega farms since playing on the update that removed those features; indeed, compared to the multiple (at least a bakers dozen) characters I raised, and always built a large base, with a large farming component, I have only built 1 ground side base since the update, and it is completely sans farming. I feel like the game really lost something with those features removed.

Even if it was returned, but instead of death, which I agree is annoying, especially afking and playing hard mode as I am want to do, it simply placed a significant debuff, this would be a vast improvement compared to the current implementation. I likes my immersion. Like, a lot. Tis' why I play on hard mode in the first place.