1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Still waiting for the hunger bar to come back, what happened?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by WingedSpear, Apr 11, 2015.

1. WingedSpear

WingedSpear Big Damn Hero

(i know, my english is terrible, but is not my main language)

Since i bought the game i always loved to have as a main, and necesary goal to get food, because it made the game feel like you are actually trying to survive, but since the hunger bar was removed, i lost instantly the interest in the game, because now i dont feel any kind of survival in the game and i have no necesary goals when i start.

Now is more like a Castlevania and thats it: spawn->get better gear->kill monsters->reach the next zone->repeat.

Before, with the hunger system and cold/heat change it was: ok i see my character need food i HAVE to get more food, and could be really useful have a farm of fruits...oh no! the night its killing me because is cold, i need a campfire, i better wait until the day in order to explore, so meanwhile i can craft and build.

See the difference?, like i dont mind the cold being removed, thats ok, but the hunger? it litteraly made me not wanting to play the game again, it should be one difficulty or one option, like No Survival Mode: No hunger bar and no lost of items when die, Normal: Hunger bar and lose exp when die, Hard: hunger and heat, lose items when die, Hardcore: hunger, heat and lose character when die.

I trully want it to come back, and dont say ''then use a mod for it'' because is not the point and i dont want to have issues of compatibility in the future with the mod, so i just want to know whats going to happen with it.

2. Owl_Stalker

Owl_Stalker Guest

Well, if it means anything, the devs had stated that they'll most likely bring back the survival aspects of the game in different modes.

WingedSpear likes this.
  3. WingedSpear

Glad to read that, and i hope it happen, also thx for answering correctly, i was expecting a hater comment.

Owl_Stalker likes this.
  4. claudekennilol

claudekennilol Space Kumquat

Hunger made me want to not play. Different perspective and all that, ya'know?

zeskorion, Ouji and Heartstrings like this.
  5. WingedSpear

Thats why we are also talking about options for that, because some enjoy playing the game just for build and easy, and other enjoy the survival style of the game, many of us bought the game because we liked the hunger and heat system which make the game a real survival and not a regular Metroid/Catlevania, theres tons of castlevania with the exact same combat of Starbound, we dont need another one.

For me, i am not touching the game again until the hunger bar come back, i dont care if thats one option or if it is forced.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2015
  6. noobsqoou

noobsqoou Big Damn Hero

Back before the update that removed/nerfed them, I liked some of the critical survival aspects at the start of my run: being lost on some random planet, having to manage your hunger and body temperature, etc. However, once I got to a certain level of gear, it became so easy to keep myself full and warm that gathering food just became a tedious nuisance that got in the way. So, I'd be all for it coming back so that it must be managed for the first third or half of the game, but it would need to be possible to set aside once the player reaches a certain level of technological advancement.

. . . aaaaaand that just spawned an idea in my head. If I can put it in words, I'll make a new thread.

7. Ekoto

Ekoto Big Damn Hero

I too miss the hunger system. it game me that feeling like "oh i needa hurry and find food before i starve!" well atleast until i had too much food. then it was like... ok time to eat a cheeseburger.... *downs 5 big macs*
    like... i kinda understand both sides because in the beginning its the challenge for survival. then torwards end game its just... om nom nom nom... maybe it would be more interesting if some foods had an expiration date or something?... but then again thats just way too complicated. but i still have the problem of having too much food since its almost useless now. although alien fruit is extremely fun...
    perhaps if we had a ration slot in our inventories where we could stick a stack of food and it would automatically get eaten when we were hungry?(as long as we werent in combat or something) like how we have the pet food bowls in the unstable at the moment. it would give the need to find food but eliminate the tediousness of having to select said food every five minutes and eat it.

also i loved the tempature system. for me in the very beggining its what really set it apart from terraria and i liked the idea of having to camp for the night and make shelter. but once again end game tier kinda made temp non existant unless you went up into an asteriod belt. which you had to throw campfires EVERYWHERE just to stay alive. i hope they bring back a more balanced temp. like deserts and arctics are going to be cold at night no matter what. not to mention i find the tech "suits" very anoying since i always forget im wearing one and head right to a planet forgetting it requires me to switch to another "suit". i also feel like with the new teleporter system that its going to be more of a pain planet hopping from teleporters since you have no way to change suits unless you beam up to ship (which is what they are trying to avoid to much of atm)

...but then again the game itself is a WIP (work in progress)

also your english isnt bad at all.

vanella likes this.
  8. Starbug

Starbug Guest

Should be an option, but in medium difficulty and above only. Casual players should be able to ignore food, outwith its healing properties.

The MechE likes this.
  9. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

With the way things are going, they will need to add in an "options" menu to the character creation with checkboxes for all the different things people want. I want temperature to return, but I despise hunger.

Harlander likes this.
  10. drachasor

drachasor Void-Bound Voyager

The problem with Hunger, imho, is that early on it is something, but once you have a bow any stress goes away -- this just requires wood and plant fiber. Then once you get copper and make a hoe, it is trivial to stay fed. I'm not saying hunger couldn't be an issue, but adding it back into the game wouldn't really do anything.

It would negatively impact food buffs, since now you'd have to eat to move the hunger bar, this means you no longer have good control over when you get the buff.

The solution to both, as best I see it, would be to have hunger control how long a food buff lasts. Whatever foods you have in your system determine the active buffs. When hunger bar goes low enough (meaning you need to it) buffs would become inactive. That at least would make hunger not detrimental to food buffs and food buffs would be more interesting. Some of the effects (like the strength of regen) would need to change though.

Dust likes this.
  11. WingedSpear

i have the feeling that they are already working in a new hunger system, theres many topics about this, and i agree that in higher tiers the hunger is not one issue anymore, but that also happen in real life, if you are rich, you can spend money in tons of food xD (ya i know, this is a game so we dont enjoy the food, but i see it as a fair example), it will end up comming back as one option/difficulty, but probably with a new and more rewarding system (have HP regen if you are full, or make the energy bar charge faster...)

also i think that, in order to make the heat system more interesting, they could add, instead of Cold, one extra condition for those planets that are very hot (those planets with magma), so you cant bring a heavy armor, because with the old system, you could just bring the high lvl armors everywhere, which...just remove entirely the difficulty of the heat system, i dont know, what do you think?

12. Zuvaii

Zuvaii Heliosphere

There's no reason to implement it. Hunger as a survival aspect has never been done properly, and in Starbound's case, it was just some timer you had to obey before rapidly losing health. Nevermind that the body can go three weeks without food before it starves to death, even though the last week and a half will be horrible. The temperature system meant nothing, as high enough armor tiers basically made you able to ignore any changes due to the warmth they provided. All the survival systems did was make the beginning of the game more tedious than it needed to be, plain and simple. Once you had a mega farm going, food was no longer a concern, especially if your racial recipes didn't use meat of any kind, like the Apex with their OP banana bread. Hell, food was used less for staving off hunger and more for the crazy buffs it provided.

13. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

Food is even less used now so your point is irrelevant

14. Garatgh Deloi

Garatgh Deloi Master Astronaut

Yet some people enjoyed the survival mechanics even if they were flawed (theres been a loot of comments on it around the forums, especially when they were removed). So that alone is a reason to reimplement it in some form.

Off course i hope it will work better then it did. But even if it was the exact same i would still like it to return.

As long as its added as a optional difficulty the people that dosent like it has little reason to complain (theres still some valid concerns about optional features, but not many). The devs have allredy mentioned that the hunger feature will likely return (not guaranteed) as part of a higher difficulty.

vanella, KeesDeNeger, Boshed and 2 others like this.
  15. BloodyFingers

BloodyFingers The End of Time

If you went through the trouble of making such a MEGA farm, then it stands to reason that food would cease to be a concern. Otherwise what would be the point?

That's like saying someone who chooses to follow the builder path of progression would have to constantly look for a home to live in despite making mega houses for a living...

16. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

Honestly speaking checkboxes sound simple. But you would be modifying a few hundred to a thousand based on the complexity of the feature.

17. lazarus78

Indeed, sounds simple, but it stacks up quickly. I REALLY wish I could find that picture of all of the suggested "options" for Skyrim before it was released. It was about 2-300 items long.

18. WingedSpear

Hmm, it could be a single checkbox, like ''Survival'' Enable/Disable, and thats it, which include Heat and Hunger, yes, is not that easy, but totally worth the time, because everyone will be happy, honestly i am already happy with the current updates, but i really need the survival options, i cant play with out that.

19. lazarus78

I wouldn't be happy. I want temperature but not hunger.

Thankfully though the game is easily modded so I could likely just remove hunger. But modding should not be a crutch for things like this.

20. drachasor

drachasor Void-Bound Voyager

You never needed a megafarm. 5-6 plants was more than enough.

Personally I do not think survival options should be included unless they are well-designed. Crappy features, even if optional, make the game worse. That's not to say I think there should not be survival options, but it needs to make sense and work.

Given the level of tech in the game though, I'd rather have survival be about building bases and avoiding enemies actively looking for you and your hideouts. That would be more interesting and sensible. I want more things in games like this about building structures that DO THINGS.