1. This forum is archived for reference. For support & bug reports visit the help section of forums.stardewvalley.net

Bug/Issue Steam install -- Game never loads at all

Discussion in 'Support' started by Holyvision, Apr 2, 2016.

1. Holyvision

Holyvision Intergalactic Tourist

So I've tried everything, generating over 100 error logs and every one of them being the exact same:

Message: Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.dll' or one of its dependencies. is not a valid Win32 application. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800700C1)
    InnerException:
    Stack Trace: at StardewValley.Game1..ctor()
    at StardewValley.Program.Main(String[] args)

I can run every other game perfectly fine. I have tried reinstalling this game, steam, my video drivers, the XNA install, the DirectX install, verified files through steam, etc, etc, etc....

Doesn't matter if started through steam or through local files, same error every time. Should I just request a refund? When I launch the game, steam shows it as running for about 5 second -- and the process "COM Surrogate" shows up on my ctrl+shift+esc processes page for about the same period of time before disappearing. No black screen, loading screen, or anything else.

Attached Files:

• uberlobster

uberlobster Void-Bound Voyager

Press Window Key + R, type dxdiag and press enter. Save all information to a text file (bottom right button) and upload it. Also, try reinstalling the XNA Framework after uninstalling it. In my control panel > Programs and Features, the program is called 'Microsoft XNA Framework Redistributable...'.

Also, peruse the following thread:
      http://community.playstarbound.com/threads/game-wont-start-what-i-have-found.106890/

• Holyvision

Yea thanks for the link, sadly i've tried every fix in that thread from uninstalling/reinstalling the XNA files, direct X and etc to trying to ensure that window's DLL files are properly intact with no success. Trying to run on and older laptop, but based on what else I can run shouldn't be an issue.

Please note that my system (laptop) has a dedicated nvidia GTX 660M 1GB card, which doesn't always show on the DirectX Diag pages or etc in place of the on-board intel HD stuff. I have all my programs set to run with the Nvidia card; however for the sake of testing this issue I have tried forcing it to run with both accelerators with no success.

Attached Files:

• uberlobster

uberlobster Void-Bound Voyager

Other than reinstalling the OS, reinstalling the .NET framework might be beneficial. If neither of these work and you don't have another system which can run the game, then request a refund or hold on to it for now.

Microsoft .NET Framework Repair Tool
          (uninstall and install both 3.5 (2.0 and 3.0) as well as the latest 4.x)

Good luck.

• Holyvision

Sadly after letting my windows 10 reinstall itself through the night and doing a clean repair of the .net framework that's built into windows 10 (won't let you just install 4.0 framework or anything on 10) it still does the exact same thing. There's actually a lot of people on the steam discussion areas having this exact same issue and symptom as well.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/413150/discussions/1/405692758719176220/

Hopefully this gets fixed soon -- or a workaround is found -- I really don't want to have to refund this one.

I'll keep trying things, thanks for the advice thus far. I've submitted a bug report on the game's google docs tracking so fingers crossed.