Stats and Scripts

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by kyren, Aug 20, 2014.

1. Jbeetle

Jbeetle Oxygen Tank

I get the first part, but the second part sounds like an improvement.

2. GLARE

GLARE Scruffy Nerf-Herder

*MY* game of Starbound is just sitting in my Steam, waiting for it to get a Stable update, so that I can play it again.
    WHEN is your next STABLE UPDATE? Or do I HAVE to switch to Nightly? If so, will Nightly WORK this time around?

3. Jbeetle

Jbeetle Oxygen Tank

Hm. I'm doing the same thing.

4. Tazmaniac95

Tazmaniac95 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Is that the ability to die of heat I spy finally working its way into the game?
    It is!
    Also for all of the hate that this post seems to be getting I find the code being made more manageable for everyone quite exciting.

5. Scival

Scival Oxygen Tank

Or you know, enjoy the current version and stuff: Rampaging Koala should be in a year or two. Use ALL! the mods. :D

6. THE_____

THE_____ Phantasmal Quasar

Ok it is definitely not gonna be in one let alone two years...its more like 200 jk. Seriously though the stable update should be in at most and this is just my guess, by the end of year or next January.

7. benignInferno

benignInferno Void-Bound Voyager

Sure hope so, because I don't really have much motivation to play on at this point.

8. THE_____

THE_____ Phantasmal Quasar

Heres my advice...enjoy the all the mods and i mean ALL the mods, every last one until the update comes out.

9. Scival

Scival Oxygen Tank

Even the ponies! :D

Kawa likes this.
  10. MithranArkanere

MithranArkanere Space Kumquat

Will this mean mods wil lbe able to easily made all sorts of custom effects?

Gotta make a "So in love!" effect that you can throw at people with a "love gun", that makes them have an effect that pops little hearts.

11. GLARE

GLARE Scruffy Nerf-Herder

So, since my question was not properly answered...
    Does Nightly work now?

12. Jbeetle

Jbeetle Oxygen Tank

It's kinda a vague question considering it's always "worked." If it doesn't work, delete starbound.config. If that isn't what you mean, then you see what I mean.

13. Dembai

Dembai Void-Bound Voyager

Are you willing to follow the very simple instructions to make it work? If so, then yes.

If you're unwilling to do so, then no.

A few salient points: in the starbound folder, delete starbound.config - then delete the contents of the "universe" and "player" folders. Then grant your profile absolute admin privileges over the whole Starbound folder (no, you don't actually have those until you set them).

Turn off steam, then turn off the steam process in your task manager, then run steam as an admin. Run the nightly.

This MAY work.

It also may not. If it doesn't, then it's still broken for you.

But if you're unwilling to do that much work, it's definitely going to be 'broken forever'.

14. lemonrev

lemonrev Subatomic Cosmonaut

Is the game getting to a point where you can release a stable patch for the players that have not had the nightly builds or are willing to do so as each patch is around 200 to 400 meg each night, I know this is small but when you keep downloading over a month it can add up.

thanks for the patch notes that keep everyone informed on the front page.

Peace.

15. blackshadow2000

blackshadow2000 Void-Bound Voyager

ugh... why is everybody whining about the game becoming easier to add things to? once they get over the tidying up of the code, updates will be more frequent since they will have an easy way of adding new stuff! what do you people not understand?

on a side note, will there be dehydration and overheating on desert planets?
    also, since you get cold at night and high up you shoud get waaaaay too hot in the mines and caves.

but hey thats just my thoughts on this :DD

16. I wrote a guide already on the nightly support forum about how to get the game up and running with the nightly build. The "Then grant your profile absolute admin privileges over the whole Starbound folder (no, you don't actually have those until you set them)." and "Turn off steam, then turn off the steam process in your task manager, then run steam as an admin. Run the nightly." are absolutely untrue for windows/mac.

As they update, file structures change. In order to account for this they have to develop a conversion process to take a character / universe / config file from the latest stable, to the next stable. They don't do this with the nightlies, so you have a lot of character wiping, universe wiping, and configuration file regeneration that has to happen.

17. Lemuria

Lemuria Subatomic Cosmonaut

People want a sstable update. Redesigning working ssytemss is not conducive to that. Sso people complain, even though it won't accomplish anything. Because they want a sstable update.

Even Floran wantss a sstable update, and would immediately book a flight to the UK and make ssmall furry meat creature eyess at the dev team if it would help.

Floran ssuspectss it would not, and would possibly hinder development because the developerss appear to be tasty meat creaturess, and tasty meat creaturess usually hide under deskss when Floran encounterss office buildingss on sstrange planetss.

Sso Floran will wait. And read about new featuress. And dream of a sstabbing meter. Floran would like to know if Floran hass sstabbed enough lately. Floran wonderss if thiss new ssystem could ssomehow be tied into the new flashing light ssystem. Floran imaginess tying sstatusess into flashy flashy lightss in medical buildingss.

18. Suralin

Suralin Subatomic Cosmonaut

The guy who was talking about "feature creep", as I know the term, has a point. There was a fan-made campaign for Freespace 2 called BlackWater Ops; a trailer was made claiming it would be done by "Spring 2001". It's still not done, partly because of massive amounts of RL hitting the devs, but mainly because when they *did* get the time to work on it, they kept deciding they had to overhaul the entire thing from the ground up to compete with more modern campaigns like Blue Planet.

I fully support the Starbound devs' efforts to fix the code and get things running optimally, but I hope there's a line drawn where they can say "Not perfect, but good enough" and put something onto stable within the next month or two. Being a perfectionist myself, I understand well that the 'perfect' can sometimes become the enemy of the 'good'.

BloodyFingers likes this.
  19. Type1Ninja

Type1Ninja Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

I see what ya did there! :iswydt:

EDIT:

Now that is actually pretty insightful. I agree that the Starbound devs should keep this in mind. However, I don't think we've reached that point yet; it seems like they're tantalizingly close to having everything work.

I too am a perfectionist, but I see NO reason why perfect is the enemy of good! :fireball:

;)

20. Rebuilding systems like this is not "feature creep" or "scope creep", It's adding extensiblity and customization to a system that was originally very rigid. The possibilities with this new design are endless, whereas the previous system had 45 possible interactions. It's a pretty massive trade-off and something I think is well within the scope of the project.

The problem with comparing this to a "fan-made" anything is that this is their job. They aren't doing this part time or on the weekends.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2014