Stats and Scripts

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by kyren, Aug 20, 2014.

1. Scival

Scival Oxygen Tank

@kyren YOU DINT PUT THE DATE AT THE START OF THE BLOG POST! YOU MONSTER! :eek:

Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
    jamstronaut and Kawa like this.
  2. Type1Ninja

Type1Ninja Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Yeah, but they can't add any of that until their consciences are clear of the issue of all of this code being messy.
    So, this is a necessary stepping stone to that.
    Basically, deal with it. Whining won't make them work faster. :p

jamstronaut likes this.
  3. Scival

Scival Oxygen Tank

Well, you're right, but... theres something wrong whit that.... oh wait, i found what it is, lemme rephrase that for you. :rofl:

*badword*ING WHINING ABOUT IT WONT MAKE IT FASTER YOU #!?%$(/!

4. BloodyFingers

BloodyFingers The End of Time

All this whining is sofa king stupid...

Kawa and Type1Ninja like this.
  5. SivCorp

SivCorp Parsec Taste Tester

It's not that it isn't a main system, its that they keep "moving the ball" on what they want their game to be.

The systems that need finished are - story, AI (NPC's, village, ect.), ships (though mostly done now), navigation, networking and physics. Instead, they keep changing things that they have already done.... they need to get some focus.

However, this is just one post from one dev.... so I'm not reading tooo much into it. This was just my initial reaction.

Nimeni likes this.
  6. Quantum Jump

Quantum Jump Scruffy Nerf-Herder

@clasgutr I've never been able to understand what it is people like you gain from coming to creative people making something they are passionate about, and just crapping all over it saying it's rubbish and they're rubbish and they should feel terrible. It's fine thinking it's bad, and it's even fine saying it's bad, AS LONG AS YOU SAY HOW YOU THINK THEY COULD MAKE IT BETTER. If you just say you hate it, and offer no constructive criticism, your comment serves no purpose other than to make them feel bad about themselves and to big yourself up by putting other people down. Which makes you an asshole. If you give constructive criticism, you will be viewed instead as a valuable member of the community with important opinions. (See what I did there? complaint - you're acting like an asshole, followed by constructive criticism - try giving constructive criticism :p )

jamstronaut likes this.
  7. clasgutr

clasgutr Void-Bound Voyager

I'm posting legitimate criticism in a constructive way about a game who's development has failed to meet the expectations of myself, and a large part of the community. It is not whining - you cannot divine intent or tone from text on the internet. The tonality of my post is only being implied by yourselves.

If you disagree that development has been slow, or that them redoing all of these critical systems is NOT a sign of a poorly structured design plan, then fine. But to say my post is somehow illegitimate because you disagree with it, is pandering and inflammatory. Don't place words or emphasis on what I wrote unless I have spoken them.

I applaud them for their transparency in writing about progress, but they still have a long way to go if they are trying to show that this game is anything more than a cash grab (no offense)

Edit:

To Quantum Jump,

In fact I did offer a solution. The solution is written directly in the post you mentioned. I am not crapping all over anyone's work. And I am certainly not using derogatory language toward anyone- calm down.

The solution to the problem is to prove to a number of the community that they have made meaningful changes - beyond redoing systems which they've claimed have already been completed as evidenced on their roadmap..

Come out with new content Chucklefish, show us you can do more than modify the existing code, patch the game, and deliver on the product you claimed you were making,

That's my solution to the current problem.

Nimeni and Alpha_Squad like this.
  8. artbot345

artbot345 Gotta Catch 'em All! Mk.2

I don't understand people are complaining about the developers improving their codebase and the modding ability of the game.

jamstronaut likes this.
  9. BloodyFingers

Here's the thing. Your complaint is just factually wrong. There have been DAILY updates in the nightlies. That is progress as you have estipulated in your post. Don't be willfully ignorant and take only what you know as the truth.

jamstronaut likes this.
  10. clasgutr

Except the nightlies as claimed by the devlopers are not updates at all, as they have not been implemented into the stable branch. This was freely admitted when the nighlties were added to steam. They are not updates to the mai branch, they are not functional within the context of the game, only snippets of code being tested, and therefore your point is moot.

Nimeni and Alpha_Squad like this.
  11. BloodyFingers

If the devs offers you a way to access all the new content and you choose not to, only to complain that there is no new content, you're making a fool out of yourself

Owl_Stalker and Lintton like this.
  12. Quantum Jump

Quantum Jump Scruffy Nerf-Herder

@clasgutr apologies, I got a bit riled up myself there, and overstepped my bounds. I missed the point you made on my first read-through of your comment, and the general tone - admittedly entirely inferred on my end, just set off one of my bigger bug bears. Still, the fact remains, as BloodyFingers said, that they are updating consistently, and anyway, if they are inept as you say, the best way for them to learn and not repeat some of the mistakes which I will admit have been made this time around, is to make those mistakes and then learn from them.

Again, I apologise for my tone, and hope that we can continue this discussion in a calmer manner.

13. BloodyFingers

Yet it is progress, as you claimed it wasn't happening. But feel free to handwave all my points as moot and revel in your little bubble of cynism, no skin off my nose...

Lintton and Jbeetle like this.
  14. Jbeetle

Jbeetle Oxygen Tank

awesome progress

Quantum Jump and BloodyFingers like this.
  15. clasgutr

I acknowledge that they are actively working on the game. It just makes me skeptical when I hear devs talk about deadlines and then announcements for a PS4 release. It seems more and more like they are pushing for a stable but lackluster game, and will be releasing a 1.0 very shortly, without going through the 3 stages of the beta that they had originially talked about. Yes I am being cynical, but one can find it hard not to be given their recent history of no stable updates.

Additionally, its very hard to test these changes in the nightly what with the frequent crashes, character deletions and other snafus regarding the nightlies. They are certainly not the most user-friendly way to present beta content to a group of testers.

I could give you many examples of beta testing done correctly, where content was added sequentially to a base game which already had its' foundations working properly, but then I think we'll just be moving in circles.

16. Jbeetle

Jbeetle Oxygen Tank

what feature that they've shown so far makes you think "lackluster." I love all the changes to nightlies so far. I have yet to think "NOOO WHY DID YOU CHANGE THAT"

17. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

Keep it on-topic and civil, guys. It would be a sad state of affairs if we needed to begin locking news posts before they reach three pages of replies.

18. clasgutr

For starters the massive change in favor of grinding for ores, the huge change in requiring a linear progression of gear and pickaxe. Having packaxes to begin with, then changing your minds midway through development, and finally conceding, """hey maybe we should make the MM more meaningful in a game based around a sci-fi setting?" Also the lack of any significant change to the AI, combat is more point and click then ever, and early game balance is horrible.

19. BloodyFingers

Take it outside gentlemen, or Jakang Aroomitage will start kickng butts and taking names...

20. Scival

Scival Oxygen Tank

The MM?
    Seriously?
    N0000B-
    But seriously, the short for the Matter Manipulator is Beamaxe.