Station building Mechanic... for planets?

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by poster55, May 17, 2017.

1. poster55

poster55 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

So I had the thought, that yes we have full creative freedom with planet base building, but it would be nice for the less talented among us for coming up with layouts and base design, to have access to an optional mechanic like the space station tools to build bases planetside.

Prefab structures with snap together joints. Perhaps this is achievable through a mod already? I don't know, but it seems like a natural next step.

Ultimuh likes this.
  2. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

I'd imagine the system could be adapted to use on planets. We won't know for sure till we get the update and look into how it works.

3. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

I've long felt that the ability to place smaller pre-fab structures would be very useful for the folks who aren't as into the block-by-block construction method. I mean, sure, they could just take over a pre-existing structure, but what if they want a nice high-tech bunker on a planet lacking hi-tech prebuilt structures?

I mean I probably would never use it beyond the simple completionism of maxing out a skill or filling out a Collection, but I think it could be very helpful.

Ultimuh and Jonesy like this.
  4. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

I wonder if custom prefab would be server friendly. Assuming they are just block layouts, I think it could work. That would be sweet.

5. Madisel

Madisel Void-Bound Voyager

What would be especially amazing would be the ability to actually create and save prefab structure modules. Imagine being able to scour the universe for the blocks you want, building something with them, and then using some sort of expanded scanner function on the matter manipulator to highlight and save a certain area. Then you just run over to an industrial-grade pixel printer and feed it pixels to have it spit out your saved area as a prefab structure module.

Jonesy likes this.
  6. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

Well, yeah. It'd be basically a /spawndungeon deal, only smaller and with way more control over where you drop it.

Of course, the cost would need to be, well, the blocks. Like, exactly the number and type of blocks, or the rough equivalent of their "ingredient" blocks, maybe an additional pixel cost as sort of a convenience fee. Sacrifice a little more materials or whatever just to not have to deal with block-by-block placement.

7. poster55

poster55 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

A long long time ago... in a.. err... Yeah. So actually a while back in the early days of Starbound mods shortly after the first pass at making the API layer for mod making, there was a mod that had the ability to set up 4 points and then copy everything within the box it made. You could then take that structure with you and later paste it wherever you wanted.

I can't remember the name of that mod, but it might still be floating around. I know it's at least possible, or was at some point.

8. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

The modern version is called WEdit. The older mod you're thinking of is probably Sparkz.