1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

starcheat: player save editor and Python library [Deleted]

Discussion in 'Outdated Mods' started by wizzomafizzo, Dec 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hakari

hakari Subatomic Cosmonaut

2. Ricowan

Ricowan Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Where do you get the assets.db from? I don't have one, other than the empty one created in the default location.

3. Clockwork

Clockwork Master Astronaut

You need to add your assets folder to the .ini before you run starcheat.exe for the first time.

4. Ricowan

Ricowan Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Sweet, thanks! All set now.

5. Andrej363

Andrej363 Phantasmal Quasar

still dunno how to run this on windows

6. Robo Hobo

Robo Hobo Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Is there any way that the ability to change your character's Personality could be added to the mod?
    Some armors look a bit rediculous with my current one (The Cowboy Stance.)

7. wizzomafizzo

wizzomafizzo Scruffy Nerf-Herder

WINDOWS TEST BUILD UPDATE:
    Download here

INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS:
    1. Download that file
    2. Unzip it somewhere
    3. Open the starcheat.ini file in the unzipped dist/ folder with notepad (double click it)
    4. Change the assets_folder option to point to your Starbound assets folder (in steamapps)
    5. Change the player_folder option to point to your Starbound player save folder (also somewhere in steamapps)
    6. Don't change any other options
    7. Save and close starcheat.ini
    8. Double click starcheat.exe
    When you open starcheat for the first time you will see a black window pop up first saying something about "X number of files found" and a whole heap of dots. This means it's working and making a database of all your Starbound asset files. This will take up to 30 seconds or so but will only happen the first time you run it. If the black window says "0 items", there are no dots, or you're not seeing any icons or items in the item browser, you probably have not set your assets_folder option correctly. Check your ini file is definitely correct, delete the new assets.db file in the starcheat dist/ folder and try run starcheat again.

If you try to run starcheat.exe and immediately see a System Error dialog, install this windows update and try run starcheat again.

I still don't know why this is happening for you, it is a bit strange, but I've added some code to show a proper error message if it happens again. Let me know how you go with this new version.

It is definitely possible and planned but probably not for a while. I can add a basic edit dialog early but it would only be dropdown menus of text, you'd have to keep restart Starbound to see what the change was. If you haven't already, check out SBSE, I'm pretty sure it can do this already.

8. Benchtrain

Benchtrain Void-Bound Voyager

Is there any possibility that you are going to release a 32-Bit version for Windows of this Editor or will it stay a 64-Bit exe? Cause right now in the holidays i run my notebook and its still operation with a 32-bit Windows version... ;)

Nevertheless I really appreciate all the work you are putting into this project.

9. hakari

hakari Subatomic Cosmonaut

It's not showing any error message, it just closes.

10. Xiss

Xiss Aquatic Astronaut

You are my men thnx so much

11. wizzomafizzo

Hi mate, can you please download this file: https://mega.co.nz/#!sh4QXATA!ZkYl9zAdzRul0BczoOC3nBnNy2ZfRHLzqCsm_KqtY1s
    This is a batch file that will launch starcheat like normal but make sure the black window stays open so you can read the error messages.
    1. Unzip that file
    2. Put runstarcheat.bat in the dist/ folder next to starcheat.exe
    3. Double click runstarcheat.bat
    Then can you either copy and paste everything in the black window or upload a screenshot (don't just wing it please, I need to know exactly what it says to the letter)

I don't see why not! I'll probably hold off until we get all the kinks worked out of the 64bit build. Once that's ready to roll I'll start uploading releases to github instead of mega. In the meantime, this should work fine on 32bit if you follow the non-standalone windows install instructions on the github page. Basically just install 32bit python3.3, 32bit pyqt5 and double click starcheat.py

Thanks!!

12. KeWhat

KeWhat Seal Broken

Can you make more items and pictures to mostly of the items? I really want rainbow cloak. But good job bro i love it:love:

13. Clockwork

Clockwork Master Astronaut

Any item that's in the game should show up in the program.

14. wizzomafizzo

What items are you talking about specifically? Like Clockwork said, it should index everything in the game including any mods. I don't add any extras myself. Which items do you mean as well re: the images? There seems to be a new format for picking sprite images which I need to work out plus some extra attributes a few items use for images. It will default to the inventory icon if possible.

Did you end up getting it running okay then? Just want to double check what that startup error could have been.
    EDIT: oops that wasn't you, nm

EDIT2:
    I'll just add this as well: https://twitter.com/StarboundGame/status/416696077950390272

starcheat will, almost certainly, completely break after this patch. I'll be working as fast as possible to grok the new save file format but just making sure everyone is aware when it does happen.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2013
  15. wizzomafizzo

Show off your tier 10 armour to family and friends! Discover one housewife's secret to making millions of pixels from the house! Server admins hate her!!

[​IMG]

WINDOWS TEST BUILD (64 BIT)
    Download here

WINDOWS TEST BUILD (32 BIT)
    Download here (get the newest file, big thanks to McSimp)

INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS
    1. Download that file
    2. Unzip it somewhere
    3. Double click starcheat.exe in the dist/ folder
    4. An options dialog should pop up
      1. Set Assets Folder to your own Starbound assets folder (in steamapps)
      2. Set Player Folder to the location of your Starbound player save files (in steamapps)
      3. Click Save
    There might be a delay while starcheat searches your asset files for the first time, once that finishes you'll be able to pick a save file and then you're good to go. The options dialog should only display on the first run but is also accessible in the Tools menu.

KNOWN ISSUES
    • If you get a System Error dialog as soon as you run starcheat.exe, you probably need this Windows update.
    • If no inventory icons are being displayed you probably haven't set your assets folder option correctly. Double click reset.bat in the the same directory as starcheat.exe and then try run starcheat.exe again to get the options dialog again.
    • If you get a message like no compatible saves found you probably haven't set the players folder option correctly. Use the same reset.bat method as above.
    Linux/Mac users can just run "rm -rf ~/.starcheat" to do the same job as reset.bat

REPORTING NEW ERRORS
    If you are getting any other errors or the program isn't starting at all:
    1. Double click the debug.bat file in the same folder as starcheat.exe
    2. Run the app as far as you can before it stops working
    3. debug.bat will have created a new text file called starcheat_debug.txt in the same directory
    4. Post the contents of that file here
    5. (Optional) Upload a copy of the .player file you're having trouble with
    BUILDING FROM SOURCE
    Source code and build instructions are here: https://github.com/wizzomafizzo/starcheat

Linux static binaries (32 and 64 bit) with be released in the future for those who can't get Qt 5 or Python 3 on their distro of choice. I do not have a Mac to make builds or test, if anyone wants to volunteer please let me know. I expect the dependencies are available in homebrew.

I also wanted to mention specifically save_file.py which is the python module I'm using for manipulating the save files. It's completely self contained, only depends on python itself and works for the latest patch. If you're going to start your own project then definitely check this out. Another module for Starbound assets is in the works too.

Let me know what you think and obligatory shoutouts to McSimp for his wicked starbound-research repo!

Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
  16. tbonek11

tbonek11 Void-Bound Voyager

iv downloaded both files and i still can get the app to run

17. wizzomafizzo

Can you please describe what happens. Any error messages show up?

18. tbonek11

tbonek11 Void-Bound Voyager

the command console starts up and says press to continue and i do and it disapears and nothing happens after

19. wizzomafizzo

WINDOWS TEST BUILD UPDATE (64 BIT)
    Download here

This update adds a new GUI configuration dialog which will also pop up on first start. No more editing .ini files.

INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS:
    1. Download that file
    2. Unzip it somewhere
    3. Double click starcheat.exe in the dist/ folder
    4. An options dialog should pop up
      1. Set Assets Folder to your own Starbound assets folder (in steamapps)
      2. Set Save Folder to the location of your Starbound player save files (in steamapps)
      3. Click Ok
    There might be a delay while starcheat searches your asset files for the first time, once that finishes you'll be able to pick a save file and then you're good to go. The options dialog should only display on the first run but is also accessible in the Tools menu.

If you get a System Error dialog as soon as you run starcheat.exe, you probably need this Windows update.

If you are getting any other errors or the program isn't starting at all:
    1. Double click the debug.bat file in the same folder as starcheat.exe
    2. Run the app as far as you can before it stops working
    3. debug.bat will have created a new text file called starcheat_debug.txt in the same directory
    4. Post the contents of that file here

Can you please try run this new build and if you still have the problem, follow the steps I've put above about running debug.bat

20. ___MeRliN___

___MeRliN___ Guest

This will definitly have some use for me after the next character wipe, but I wonder if you can spawn in the bonehammer and some plasma weapons like I have them now...

Update: Will there be a version working for a win 32 bit version at some point?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.