1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed Starbound Won't Load (Mac)

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Soyjoy4040, Mar 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Soyjoy4040

Soyjoy4040 Void-Bound Voyager

Hello. I have started to try and get back into starbound after a few months a few hours ago, but there was an issue. When I opened starbound via steam and launched it, it would take like 15-25 minutes of loading and then exit out, saying that starbound quit unexpectedly. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling it to no avail, and I have no idea what to do. Please help.

2. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

Hi
    Remember its always a good idea to search to see
    In order to expedite your issue please click on one of the links below.

INDEX

For those with Mods Installed

Please keep in mind Billing and Support is for the Vanilla game only. If you have mods installed please remove your mods one at a time until the issue is resolved. At that point please contact the mod author through the discussion tab in the mod overview page. Please do not ask for support through the review feature.
    [​IMG]

Some mods may modify the core files of either the player or universe. These include mods which modify the primary_player.lua and mods which add new ores, biomes, materials. Removing these mods in these cases will not solve the problem. In such cases rename your giraffe_storage folder and start the game, even after this point it is still not loading or an issue still remains continue to the next section, "For those without mods Installed".

For those without Mods Installed

If you are on nightly build, chances are there is an issue with the nightly. Most issues with nightly can be ignored as nightly build is simply an automatic build pushed at the end of the day.

If you are on unstable or stable build and facing the issue First verify your game cache. To verify your game cache right click on starbound on
    Code:
    steam --> properties --> local files ( tab ) --> verify game cache.
    If the game still doesn't work, rename your giraffe_storage folder. Keep in mind when doing this, it resets your universe and character files - but your characters and universe is not permanently deleted. You can get them back by renaming the folder back. This step is to confirm that there is no issue with the vanilla game, simply an issue either either the character file or universe file.

At which point you can copy the files back one at a time until you find the problem file - that is if you wish to restore your game. Or start a fresh.

If the issue is with your character file - the game pushes a backup every time you load the game. Keep in mind this means everytime you start the game a new backup is pushed so constantly trying to get a broken character to work will corrupt all your character files. To attempt to restore the character to an earlier version see the video below.

If your issue is related to something else such as reporting a bug with the interface, graphics, codex, etc.
    Please provide a screenshot and or video if possible of the issue as well as your starbound version and branch. If you are particularly adept the file name and location of the asset.

If your issue still persists and is not covered above. Please provide a
    • Detailed issue of your problem
    • Your starbound.log,
    • Your operating system,
    • and Dxdiag.

Your starbound.log is found in your giraffe_storage folder.
    You can get access to your giraffe_storage folder by
    Code:
    Right Click on Starbound in Steam Library --> Properties --> Local Files ( tab ) --> Browse Local Files
    Please note because of anti-spam measures you need 3 posts before you can post it. But you should be able to attach it to your post regardless of the measure. It is always better to include the starbound.log into your post though. Use any word processor and open your starbound.log copy all the text inside.

Follow this code format to post;
    [spoiler=log][code] Paste Starbound.log here [/code][/spoiler]

Please keep in mind a new starbound.log is generated every time you load the game < not just crashes >. Your latest starbound.log is starbound.log the previous one before that is starbound.log.1 upto 5. Which means you should post your starbound.log immediately after crash.

Once your issue has been resolved please press "Report" button on the original post and report it as resolved.

Dunto likes this.
  3. Soyjoy4040

Soyjoy4040 Void-Bound Voyager

Thank you for your help! I was able to fix the issue thanks to you.

4. BFS

BFS Void-Bound Voyager

my game starts then after a few second crashes, i start it again and it starts fine, iv done everything that it says in the list of things to do but it still happens, and the only way to get it to load first time is to play in windowed mode which is very annoying, iv tried it on every version stable, unstable and nightly it happens on everyone when I'm in fullscreen mode.

5. SleepySquidd

SleepySquidd Tragically Magic Hands

I'm glad you managed to fix your issue! If any other users experience this and cannot fix it then please make a new thread!

Marking as Resolved & Locking

Dunto likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.