Starbound Short Story Sharing

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by Alkanthe, Aug 25, 2015.

1. DragonsForce

DragonsForce Weight of the Sky

I liked that story :) If we ever get a structure that is run by either sentient Glitch or Outcast Apex, this could end up in their bookcases.

Biirdy Daysleeper likes this.
  2. The Squid

The Squid Oxygen Tank

I forgot to post this here earlier, so I'll just do it now. This is my submission.

Bustow Gurrilla. The name spoken in hushed tones throughout the galaxy. The name cursed by Miniknog soldiers and respected by even the fiercest Floran hunters. The name that Glitch kings despised and Kluex-doubting Avians celebrated. The name of one of the galaxy’s most intrepid explorers, as well as one of it’s greatest mysteries.

Bustow Gurrilla was a hero of the people. He fought for justice and peace. One day, however, he disappeared in one of the most awe-inspiring battles ever recorded.

It was a dark day. Clouds had settled over the enormous Stargazer airship, and rain pounded the wooden decks. Pirates rushed around the ship, firing cannons at one another and trying not to get killed. Bustow stood at the wheel of the ship, steering through the storm. He had commandeered the ship after staging a mutiny and declaring himself captain. As the old ship lugged through the storm, Bustow looked down at the decks below. He gazed upon the mutineers combating the loyal crewmates. Though the original captain was locked deep below decks, the fight raged on.

Bustow fought the controls, struggling to keep the ship from crashing down

onto the cold earth below. And then something awful happened.

As the mutineers struggled to keep the rebellion afloat, the clouds parted momentarily. A ray of sunshine shone onto the deck, casting a golden glow on the perplexed pirates who gazed in awe at the sky. From behind the clouds, the pirates were met with a truly awe-inspiring sight; an enormous dragon, made entirely of smooth, white bones, plummeted down towards the ship. It opened it’s mouth, exposing a gaping chasm filled with jagged edges and rows of teeth. Its roar still haunts all who heard it.

Many of the pirates bowed down to the terrible beast, thinking it was punishment from the great Kluex. Others opened fire. Guns blazing, a terrific fight ensued.

By this time, the airship had traveled over an Avian settlement, whose inhabitants watched in awe as the ship was attacked. Bustow nearly fell to his death as the great dragon shot an enormous fireball at the ship’s wheel. The controls now destroyed, Bustow grabbed his battle hammer. He prepared himself for the fight.

The dragon landed on the old wooden ship, which gave a mighty shudder. The deck splintered and cracked, and the dragon collapsed one of the ship’s towering masts. The ship slowly lost altitude, much to the horror of the spectators below.

Bustow ran along the railing of the ship, taking care not to slip on the damp wood. The rain had started again, pounding the poor, overwhelmed airship in sheets. Bustow leapt through the air at the dragon, holding his hammer high above his head. As he brought it down, the dragon gave a mighty roar, and the airship came plummeting to the ground. Scores of horrified witnesses rushed to the scene, but to their surprise and utter mystification, no trace of Bustow was found, nor was their hero ever seen again. /SPOILER]

Burnalot and Biirdy Daysleeper like this.
  3. Aerexes

Aerexes Void-Bound Voyager

Here was my entry to the contest! I have two versions of the story, one to fit into the 500 word limit, and the full edit if the Chuckies wanted more... I'm pretty sure this style was definitely not what they were looking for, but I think this would make for a pretty good side quest plot-line right? Guys?

>PREPARING TO BE JUDGED<

(The following is a black box recording of Glitch [Cody “Code” Bluetooth], Investigative Captain of Alcippe Military Station 01.)

Epsilon Nexus 05 3a — Alcippe Nexus, Alcippe Military Station 01.

“Reassuring. Please try to recall everything in your incident, sir.”

I set my cup of Avesmingo tea down on my office desk. The Avian, a fidgety teal-feathered individual, hesitated for a few seconds, darting his eyes around.

Ironbeak Quallin, the leader of the mercenary group, the Iron Javelin. Regarded as one of the best warriors in the Epsilon Nexus 05 System, it was quite disturbing to see the proud Ironbeak reduced to nothing but a mess of feathers and bruises.

“Assertive. Ironbeak, I need you to tell me what happened...” I pressed, “I don’t mean to push you—”

“No,” Ironbeak interrupted, “I need to deal with this. Might as well do it now...”

He took a breath and began:

“My group picked up the task to carry a large shipment to the U.S.C.M. center located at Retribution Rift, in the neighboring Delta Rai 15 System. There were specific orders NOT to open the package, at all costs. The Iron Javelin was sealed by contract, so we did not raise any questions when the package was the size of a meteorite. Besides, we were the security, and did not hold interest in the political squabble that our employer was involved in.”

Ironbeak suddenly broke into tears, clenching his feathery fingers tightly around his beak.

“The horror...” he muttered, “I am such a fool, to even THINK that I was strong...”

I looked at him in the eyes, searching for answers. “Alarm. What was in the crate?”

“F-f-forgive me... Crash... Caused the crate to open... violently...” Ironbeak gasped and hurled towards me, knocking me over. I was speechless as he shrieked in my face before falling unconscious: “It was THEM! THEM! THE SCOURGE OF THE GALAXY, PANDORA’S BOX!”

I pushed the Avian off me and stood up. What was the infamous dark guild doing inside a steel crate? Nonetheless, this was a serious case and needed to be dealt with. But before I could reach the emergency hotline, the power shut down. I could hear shuffling in the dark unknown.

“Tentative. Who’s there?” I called out, drawing a Erchius laser pistol from my buckle.

I realized pulling out my weapon was a big mistake as a terrifyingly monstrous roar blasted directly in my face, knocking me onto the floor.

“Wrath, keep it down... We don’t want to KILL him... just yet~!” A bright green glow burst open, revealing a Novakid illuminating the office. There were six other individuals surrounding me, one representing each sentient race. The Apex towered over me, his feet pinning me down. A Hylotl stepped forward and leaned toward my face, his three eyes filled with gleeful malice. “Looks like this little birdie told you too MUCH~! But little maggots like you die easily anyways~!”

(End recording.)

(The following is a black box recording of Glitch [Cody “Code” Bluetooth], Investigative Captain of Alcippe Military Station 01.)

Epsilon Nexus 05 3a — Alcippe Nexus, Alcippe Military Station 01.

“Reassuring. Please try to recall everything in your incident, sir.”

I calmly set my cup of Avesmingo tea down on my office desk. The Avian, a fidgety teal-feathered individual, hesitated for a few seconds, darting his eyes around.

Ironbeak Quallin, the leader of the mercenary group, the Iron Javelin. Regarded as one of the best warriors in the Epsilon Nexus 05 System, it was quite disturbing to see the proud Ironbeak reduced to nothing but a mess of feathers and bruises.

“Assertive. Ironbeak, I need you to tell me what happened...” I pressed, “I don’t mean to push you—”

“No,” Ironbeak interrupted, “I need to deal with this. Might as well do it now...”

He took a breath and began his tale:

“My group picked up the task to carry a large shipment to the U.S.C.M. center located at Retribution Rift, in the neighboring Delta Rai 15 System. There were specific orders NOT to open the package, at all costs. The Iron Javelin was sealed by contract, so we did not raise any questions when the package turned out to be the size of a small meteorite. Besides, we were the security, and did not hold interest in the political squabble that our employer was involved in.”

Ironbeak suddenly broke into tears, with his feathery fingers tightly clenched on his beak.

“The horror...” he muttered through his closed beak, “I am such a fool, to even THINK that I was strong...”

I looked at him dead in the eyes, searching for answers. “Alarm. What was in the crate?”

“F-f-forgive me... Crash... Caused the crate to open... violently...” Ironbeak gasped and hurled towards me, knocking me over. I was speechless as he shrieked his last words in my face before he collapsed unconscious: “It was THEM! THEM! THE SCOURGE OF THE GALAXY, PANDORA’S BOX!”

I pushed the Avian off me and stood up. What was the infamous dark guild doing inside a steel crate? Nonetheless, this was a serious case and needed to be dealt with. But before I could reach the emergency hotline, the power shut down. I could hear shuffling in the dark unknown.

“Tentative. Who’s there?” I called out, drawing a Erchius laser pistol from my buckle.

A mistake. Pulling out a weapon was a big mistake, because a terrifyingly monstrous roar blasted directly in my face, knocking me onto the floor once more.

“Wrath, keep it down... We don’t want to KILL him... just yet~!” A bright green glow burst open, revealing a Novakid illuminating the office. There were six other individuals, surrounding me, one representing each sentient race. The Apex towered over me, his feet pinning me down.

“Why... Do I have to be your flashlight...” moaned the Novakid.

The Apex growled, clearly irritated. “Quit your whining! Keep it up, and I WILL grind you face into that bird’s beak!”

“Hey now...” An Avian stepped forward, with a bloodlust filling her aura. “That’s birdie’s mine to have~!”

“Now, now children~! Save your fun for later!” A pale-skinned Hylotl stepped forward, and leaned toward my face, his three eyes filled with gleeful malice. “Looks like this little birdie told you too MUCH~! But little maggots like you die easily anyways~!”

(Recording ends here.)

I also included details in the email:

• Wrath - Apex
    • Lust - Avian
    • Pride - Hylotl
    • Greed - Human
    • Gluttony - Floran
    • Sloth - Novakid
    • Envy - Glitch
    As to why the U.S.C.M. wanted these guys in a box, I'll leave that up to you!

4. Alkanthe

Alkanthe Supernova

This... I like this. The story has got me, at least, wanting to hear more about the characters. It only gave me a glimpse of the "Pandora's Box" crew, enough to whet my appetite. And the story is technically sound, too (a bit rushed, but I can understand that when you're working under a word limit).