1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

starbound server question...

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Jilly Bob the Third, Apr 25, 2017.

1. Jilly Bob the Third

Jilly Bob the Third Star Wrangler

I want to renovate one of my laptops into a starbound server,

specs:
    1.3 ghz dual core cpu
    4 gb of ram
    good wifi. well over 200kb(100kb for each player)

2 players
    64 bit world with frackin universe installed + a few lesser mods.

how crappily will this run?

2. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Don't do much exploration too quickly. It will struggle the most there. The name of the game is minimizing the workload on the system, so stick together whever possible, don't run fly to and run around every planet you see. Keep things small and local to one another so the computer doesn't have to work hard. Don't use wifi, use a cable and plug it into your router.

3. Jilly Bob the Third

The second player(my brother) likes to live alone, and I live in a huge, busy base... so that's a no?

How about this old acer desktop?
    Win Xp 32 bit
    3.1 ghz dual core
    1.5 gigs of ram
    1 gb graphics card.
    If possible I'll have to use that laptop to give it wifi because it has no wifi, just gigabit Ethernet.

4. lazarus78

Better CPU, less RAM. Graphics card is irrelevant for servers. Overall worse though. Servers need CPU power and RAM mostly.

5. Jilly Bob the Third

For two players and fracking universe + busy bases etc, in summary a busy universe but 2 players, will it run rather well with very low amounts of lag?

6. lazarus78

The first one, the laptop, has decent RAM, but a terribly CPU. Laptop CPUs are slow compared to their desktop counterparts.

The latter one, I am guessing is a desktop, has a stronger CPU, but not enough RAM, and as I said, the graphics card is irrelevant.

The point is, the more each of you do, that has to be loaded into memory, so 1.5GB isn't going to cut it, considering Windows XP will eat up at least 800MB on it's own. For myself, playing singleplayer, I can surpass 1.5GB of memory usage for Starbound alone just by loading the game. Give me a large world with a colony and it can easily surpass 2.5GB.

Now, if you go running around and exploring a lot, that will cause a high CPU usage trying to generate the world chunks, which will in turn also drive up memory usage.

Overall, neither system you posted is a good option, but if you really want one, then the laptop would be better, but it won't be very good. And dumping Frakin Universe on that won't help at all.

Jilly Bob the Third likes this.
  7. Jilly Bob the Third

Shoot. Well I'm screwed then. Thanks anyway.

The desktop actually has 2.5 but only 1.5 is usable,

8. Silverforte

Silverforte Spaceman Spiff

You need an SSD if you want to get serious about it. From personal experience, I went from an old HDD to a mid-range SSD and my server sped up significantly.

9. lazarus78

Kinda irrelevant now. He has been banned