1. When making a thread, please tag your thread accordingly using the menu to the left of the textfield where you name your thread where applicable. Server Advertisements and Mod Releases should be contained to their respective subforums.

Server Help Starbound Server and it's high CPU usage.

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Faded, Dec 26, 2013.

1. Faded

Faded Space Spelunker

I have seen a lot of threads trying to address this issue with the server running only on one thread and
    running the CPU at an extremely high rate. I still have yet to see any staff or developer reply to one of these
    threads. Just people responding trying to blame it on the host server in general, which is so not the case..

While Starbound server is idle, it sticks on 0.3% with nobody on. 1 or two users login and it starts to
    idle at about 50% CPU usage. After 1 or more users are logged in for at least 10 minutes, the CPU
    usage on the server is at 250% if not more.

This is worse if we are all on the same planet. Just as bad if on different planets, but exploring.

I am only assuming this is a map loading issue, because that's the only thing affected while the
    starbound server is raping the CPU. The maps take time to load as you're moving.

Again I'm only assuming because I haven't seen any reply to this issue. If there is
    and I missed it, then I apologize & please link me where.

So what's the deal with this? Makes the game totally unplayable as a group.

2. Churpy

Churpy Void-Bound Voyager

CPU usage is fairly high, I can only guess that this is because the server executable is highly unfinished and unoptimized and it is not in Chucklefish's best interest at this moment in time to focus on it.

I'm running a server on an Intel Xeon E5 and I am seeing exactly the same thing, high CPU usage. It does drop for me if everybody is together, however.

I'm sure the developers know about this but I am not sure that it will be fixed in the immediate future.

3. Faded

Faded Space Spelunker

Thanks for the response/info! I understand about priorities they may have, but I think Starbound is at the point where the percentage in users hosting their server on Linux is high.
    If it's on their list to-do, I'm happy enough. Hope they can tweak it up soon ;)

4. Churpy

Churpy Void-Bound Voyager

Yeah, I have two cores+HT dedicated to the server executable on my VPS running Debian 7 and it can only hold ~10 players. It's something that I think will be fixed further down the road, hopefully sooner rather than later of course, but I think it's understandable that CF would want to focus on the core content of the game right now :)

5. Archer

Archer Spaceman Spiff

Cpu usage is terrible, we think it is also being caused by RAM not releasing when players leave (and when they relog they get assigned new RAM....), so: lack of garbage collection.

For now it's not really viable to pull off servers of 40 players for more than 2-3 hours or so as RAM and cpu usage will skyrocket. There's a lot of room for improvement, but not sure how important that is for them atm.