Dev Blog Starbound on Xbox Update

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Katzeus, Jun 7, 2019.

1. AntiProduct

AntiProduct Tentacle Wrangler

I have played over 2,100 hours over the years of "feels bad". Most of the other titles in this genre are still being supported. A little communication could go a long way to stop the fermenting of false hope.

Supernovakid1 likes this.
  2. lygcolinwang

lygcolinwang Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I am a Chinese player and my English is not very good, so I need translation software to express my feelings.

I registered my Steam account to play this game, which made me one of the first Steam users in China. I started playing in the Alph version, going through countless version updates and abandoned saves, and now it is still the one of only game in my Steam favorites. I will still habitually open games and play for one or two months,until 2022.

Today, I was thinking about whether this game has been completely abandoned and whether there is still hope for an update. However, after consulting a bunch of news and Discord, I found that the reason why this game has not been updated is because it needs to be released to Xbox, and it has been used for five years and may take even longer.Perhaps you think this pixel style game will be popular till the next 50 years.

Perhaps there is a glimmer of hope that when you update the game, you will find that the players who once loved this game and were fascinated by it for thousands of hours are no longer there, and the great works in the creative workshop are no longer updated. At that time, your great city of Rome has become a relic.

I have always been a fan of CF, and I like your pixel style works, but I think your actions for this game are simply a waste.

I played Terraira and Starbound for over 2000 hours. I always thought these two games were the same masterpiece, until you stopped updating Starbound years for such absurd reasons.

You wasted one of the most successful games in your hands. Congratulations to you all

Blessings from 2024

Last edited: Jan 29, 2024
  3. H8ff0000

H8ff0000 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Don't suppose anyone's heard anything about this since the PEGI update?
    Can anyone from Chucklefish speak on the PEGI update? Specifically, was it due to a Series-based build being submitted? Or was it more of an automated or routine update by PEGI related to the Xbox One switching to Unsupported status?

*Hard to believe it's 2024 and I'm still holding out hope for proper Controller Support:nurusad:*

Speaking of, Controller Support was likely completed early on in the Xbox Port development phase. Why not release it to PC? I know it's not as simple as flipping a switch, but I'd think most of the legwork needed to implement this one feature would be complete due to how much time was spent on the port.

I used to assume this wasn't being done because they wanted current PC version owners to buy it again on Xbox to gain Controller Support. But now it's been so long, and the console release likely isn't happening, it might as well be released to get some extra buys on PC by those of us who have been waiting.

Unless of course, there is something to the PEGI update?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 1, 2024
    Supernovakid1 and lygcolinwang like this.
  4. viperfan7

viperfan7 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Funny thing about that is, having done a bit of dev work in XNA.

It probably is just that easy, just flip a switch. XInput, and GameInput that replaced it, is pretty much the same across all platforms, and you simply need to tell the compiler what the build target is.

And with xbox now being x86 based, that makes it even simpler.

You just have a drop down menu in visual studio to tell it "Hey,, build for this target", and some #IFDEFs to tell the compiler "Hey, use this bit of code only if it's built for xbox/pc", and presto, same code, different platforms.

Hell, I'm pretty sure that the GDK is the same for both xbox and PC, but I haven't done any work with it so that's just speculatio, so you likely don't even need to use #IFDEF