Dev Blog Starbound on Steam Workshop!

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, Jul 21, 2016.

1. The MechE

The MechE Existential Complex

So is there going to be two different places to install mods? That doesn't sound very smart.

2. BunnyMan

BunnyMan Subatomic Cosmonaut

Ah well in that case idk. I mean some games download them automatically but it bugs out sometimes. Maybe you would just download them.

3. PulseNeon

PulseNeon Void-Bound Voyager

Thanks for not making the Workshop mods compatible with dedicated servers, or explaining how to bypass that issue.

Nessus likes this.
  4. Nessus

Nessus Void-Bound Voyager

This is going to be a complete pain to work around for people who run modded servers. From the look of the console readout, the dedicated server doesn't even attempt to look in the workshop directory. So you have to make sure the mod you want to add from the mod repository is also on the workshop and then make sure it's the same version. Only then do you add it to the collection you'll be having your players use. Then if the mod gets updated on the workshop it'll auto update for all your players, but not the server, potentially causing crashes and conflicts.
    --- Post updated ---
    Dunto posted how to tell the server to look in the Workshop directory in another thread.

Quoting it here, in case someone ends up looking here first like I did:

If this ends up crashing you, just copy and paste the whole code entry for your system.

Another edit: Apparently this solution isn't working. I'm not sure why, but I'll try to figure it out. The console seems to suggest it sees the directory now, but I'm getting all manner of different errors.

This is really FUBAR.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2016
  5. PulseNeon

PulseNeon Void-Bound Voyager

I don't mean to sound rude, but I am somewhat annoyed;

So I come off as frustrated. I'm used to running dedicated servers on a platform that locks the game to it's own directory; we do use SteamCMD, but the servers don't even -have- a set up Steam Client or directory structure.
    This works fine for most source and even Unreal Engine games (Ark: Survival Evolved was another problem because mods wouldn't autoupdate so you'd have similar problems, but those at least used Workshop directories you could replicate.)

Due to the fact I can only locally launch either the game or the server with Steam Workshop directory access, -not both-.... I have to figure out if my laptop can use the game client while my computer hosts the server.. just to test this issue.

It's like a game of Chinese Telephone between game and server folder structure... highly frustrating and not very well setup.

6. gchristopher

gchristopher Subatomic Cosmonaut

Having bought three copies of Starbound on GOG, it's really sucking to be locked out of the steam workshop, and have the mods locked out of steamworkshopdownloader.com.

Looks like the only way to get mods that aren't published to the forums is to find a friend who bought it on Steam and have them send you the files after theydownload to steamapps/workshop/211820/[mod id] ?

7. ninjacat313

ninjacat313 Void-Bound Voyager

i need help i subbed to some stuff and the mods dont show up on the mods list or in the game

8. Iris Blanche

Iris Blanche Pudding Paradox Forum Moderator

Try restarting steam. Sometimes steam don't download the workshop mods. Also start starbound with steam.

~ Iris ~

9. ninjacat313

ninjacat313 Void-Bound Voyager

i tried and it didn't work

i also try the workshop download site and it said that it wont allow you to download mods from that workshop

10. Iris Blanche

Iris Blanche Pudding Paradox Forum Moderator

Do you own the game in steam?

~ Iris ~