1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed Starbound not starting at all

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by netraameht, Dec 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Halon

Halon Phantasmal Quasar

Tried that, no effect what so freakin' ever

2. insistent

insistent Void-Bound Voyager

Thanks! Ive made it to main menu so far without problem, ill see if i can play properly.

3. Luchóg

Luchóg Sandwich Man

Anyone have a fix for Mac??? I'm stuck at Steam clicking play and getting the "unexpectedly quit" error T.T

4. 1zero3seven

1zero3seven Space Hobo

i have this same problem

5. jackd23

jackd23 Void-Bound Voyager

I just started Steam and there was an update for Starbound but it didn't fix the issue, that the launcher still exits with error code 1 immediately.

From what I've gathered last night on their livestream, they said you need Mac OS X version 10.8 or newer, I'm afraid.

For now that gives me "The ordinal 4540 could not be located in the dynamic link library LIBEAY32.dll", but I will keep trying things. Really nice troubleshooting so far, Acru : )

Halon likes this.
  6. 5teakhouse

5teakhouse Big Damn Hero

For me... I had the "Launch Starbound" and nothing happened issue. I made sure that the program was not running as an administrator, and that fixed the problem.

7. JohnnyKill

JohnnyKill Astral Cartographer

8. JohnnyKill

JohnnyKill Astral Cartographer

9. jackd23

jackd23 Void-Bound Voyager

I looked into what libeay is actually from, and it's from OpenSSL. So from their website, http://www.openssl.org, that you can download and compile sourcecode from, I followed to http://slproweb.com/products/Win32OpenSSL.html to download and install the pre-built binary v1.0.1e light version. You might only need the Win32 (32-bit) version, but I installed the 64-bit version as well, for good measure : -P

During the setup process the setup wizard will ask, as last step, wether to put the DLLs [of OpenSSL] into the Windows system directory (yes, do this) or the bin\ folder of OpenSSL. You want it to put them in the system directory, so Starbound Launcher can access them, too.

The launcher and game now launches for me. Wouldn't have guessed without Acru's findings : -)

10. Reno

Reno Phantasmal Quasar

I really hope that's not the case. Starbound began development around 10.6-10.7's time so I'm holding out hope that it's just an early, fixable compatibility issue. Otherwise we'll all have to try Mavericks and hope for the best. :p

11. raylu

raylu Space Hobo

This worked!

There are a lot of people posting about a lot of different issues in here. The original post and this workaround is for Windows users who can't even run the launcher. Issues after clicking "Launch Starbound" on the launcher are separate and unrelated.

12. NiebieskiMak

NiebieskiMak Void-Bound Voyager

Moving this dll into launcher directory helped. Now I see launcher. Clicking launch starbound works. After several minutes of looking into chucklefish logo screen turns black and music start playing, by moving cursor u can hear options being selected by screen is still black. Clicknig few time into an option quits the game.
    Edit: When i set all .exe to start as admin it works. Game works. And its fun :D.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  13. Bulletproof

Bulletproof Orbital Explorer

It worked, it gave me this error at first, which I just pressed ok on twice... then the launcher pop up. I pressed launch starbound... and it started another launcer... which I then pressed launch starbound again, and this time it started.
    [​IMG]

14. Sadvrius I

Sadvrius I Space Spelunker

Good morning everybody! Okay, so. My issues have been resolved, and for what reason? I have no idea. Here's a summary, so that I can hopefully help some people.

The first problem I had, was that starting Starbound did absolutely nothing. After doing a bunch of things, I got the launcher to work, but there was no response when clicking Launch Starbound.
    I re-installed, rebooted, placed all the .dll's in /win32 to to the /launch folder (Acru's fix), but that didn't help as well.
    Tired and let down, I decided to go to bed.. Woke up, tried to launch Starbound, still nothing.
    So I read the forums and came across a post that said I have to not start it as an administrator. And for some reason, that did the trick! Starbound now launches properly and I don't have any new issues (yet).

I really hope this helps some of you.

15. Ado

Ado Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

This is happening to me too...
    I'll try some of the solutions!
    I'll let you know if something happens!
    :happy:

16. allsilent

allsilent Space Hobo

Worked perfectly! Posted it around to a few other threads (with credit to Acru of course)

17. Unnecro

Unnecro Space Hobo

Thanks a lot man, that was so helpful.

18. Kildarian Hyton

Kildarian Hyton Poptop Tamer

My starbound is not working the launcher works and loads but when i try to "launch starbound" it go's into the chucklefish logo screen then freezes and after waiting a while others in my household got it working but not me it just stayed there frozen ...
    what do i do

19. Halon

Halon Phantasmal Quasar

Do you type that into the launch options window in steam?

20. Halon

Halon Phantasmal Quasar

Cool! but will it work on my mac?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.