1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Starbound Nightly Beta Findings or Interesting Things

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by phillip2001, Jun 17, 2014.

1. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Oxygen Tank

anyone know the new update time that nightlys come out?

i think @OmnipotentEntity changed it, when he rebooted it a few days ago

oh and sence theres a chance he might come cus i mentioned his name

BRING BACK SURFACE CAVES

OmegaMinion likes this.
  2. linkthegamer

linkthegamer Master Astronaut

I have also noticed the update sizes seem to be smaller again (around 200ish M:cool: which is nice.

3. OmnipotentEntity

OmnipotentEntity Code Monkey Forum Administrator

Thanks for poking me, it looks like the OSX compile failed last night and it was my fault. I fixed the code to clang likes it too. And I'm running a build and will force a steam upload as soon as it's done.

Also we're looking into the surface caves bug.

EDIT: And we're live.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
  4. Blake81

Blake81 Cosmic Narwhal

Cool! I hope we can get the caves back soon.

Btw, is there any chance you might look into that weird lighting-related bug that causes random crashes when exploring underground? Right now is the most annoying bug in existence.

5. ejh1990

ejh1990 Phantasmal Quasar

If anyone ever stalked the YouTube channel of @Armagon they may have seen this:

Well, it now lives! :D

Or it may have before, and I am just a derp.

[​IMG]

Also (spoilers):

This functionality ties in with the dungeon he teased yesterday.

6. Giant Enemy Dinosaur

Giant Enemy Dinosaur Tentacle Wrangler

Welp, I loaded a profile then loaded another, the other one started on the exact sane planet as the first profile! lolwut?[DOUBLEPOST=1408123652][/DOUBLEPOST]
    That may be creepy, but every time I find mushroom guys, they are always torturing florans, always. Either trapping them in a small room under a giant leaf bucket of some sort, or in other ways too. Pics for the intrested.
    2014-08-04_00016.jpg
    Also, they don't like miniknog either.
    2014-08-07_00001.jpg

7. LethalShade

LethalShade Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Wow, never found the last one ._.

8. ansehelm

ansehelm Subatomic Cosmonaut

The new nightly Material Manipulator is now upgradable, and imo the fully upgraded one is so powerful that you will no longer need to bring any pickaxes with you X3

[​IMG]

There are a total of four levels for each Power and Radius to be upgraded. Once you've unlocked both Lvl 1 power and radius you will be given the chance to upgrade your MM, providing it with ability to collect liquids. The cost is not cheap but definitely worth it!

Oliverrook, Seredoc, Haedes and 10 others like this.
  9. LethalShade

LethalShade Scruffy Nerf-Herder

[​IMG]

KyPTeD, Oliverrook and Seredoc like this.
  10. Akado

Akado Oxygen Tank

Why can I only like this once? WHY!?

Is it because I shouldn't shoot the messenger, and thus I shouldn't also reward the messenger? Or is it because I'm still on Stable, and can't upgrade my matter manipulator to allow multiple likes?

Anyway, this is great news!

11. ansehelm

ansehelm Subatomic Cosmonaut

Indeeeed it is! Hurray for upgradable MM.

[DOUBLEPOST=1408126626][/DOUBLEPOST]Here's what puzzling me... how did you get down to moons? I had the survival system equipped but It won't allow me to do so. :mad:

12. FrostyAvo

FrostyAvo Void-Bound Voyager

I was always wondering why a super high-tech space age matter manipulator thingy is weaker than a simple thousands of years old stone pickaxe.

13. Akado

Akado Oxygen Tank

Someone had mentioned earlier that you fly to them like normal, but you have to click the "Beam Down" button instead of using the Teleport Pad. The Teleport Pad has the "You need safety materials!" warning attached to it, but the button does not.

ansehelm likes this.
  14. Giant Enemy Dinosaur

But how do you get it? I can spawn in the liquids, but not the upgradeable manipulator :V

15. Senpai Reda

Senpai Reda Void-Bound Voyager

How did you do this!!!!! please let me know because its amazing! i know it has to do with the power and radius but how do you upgrade that? and then after that how do you spawn in the MM? THANKS!!

16. Giant Enemy Dinosaur

I figured it out, you need to update nightly build to it's latest version. Then you go to the tech station and it should be an available command after you obtain the MM. The first upgrade makes it mine in a 2x2 radius. The second allows it to mine up to platinum (haven't tested on diamonds) and the third one should allow you to collect liquids.

17. 503geek

503geek Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I went through spawning all the necessary ores and compounds to fully upgrade it (there may be an easier way, but that's how I did it) and man mining is really fun/easy with it fully upgraded (especially mining upwards in a diagonal to make "stairs" out of deep mines, because 5x5 is large enough for your player to just walk through without bumping their head).

This is a really, really good upgrade to the game (it's like when Terraria updated so you could walk up/down full blocks instead of having to jump).

I think the progression looks pretty good too, I'm not sure how prevalent cerulium and impervium will be - but this is more powerful as far as I can tell than even the highest level drills were in Terraria (for those who play/played Terraria), so if it takes about that long, then I think that's pretty balanced. And of course, being the initial phase of it, balancing could still be tweaked.

edit: anyone figure out how if there is a way to get it to spray liquid?

18. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Oxygen Tank

wow the new MM is nice to give reason to keep useing it

its also nice how it (kinda) tells you that it can pickup liquids

as a reminder the new MM shows up OLNY on new chars

people before the latest update wont be givin the option from the AI

19. Giant Enemy Dinosaur

I was lucky enough to spawn next to a moon base. I did reach the fancy purple stuff. ATM they only drop crystal blocks however. :cry:
    2014-08-15_00003.jpg

20. Owl_Stalker

Owl_Stalker Guest

Looky looky!

upload_2014-8-15_21-59-50.png

KyPTeD, Lintton, FrostyAvo and 4 others like this.