1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Starbound Nightly Beta Findings or Interesting Things

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by phillip2001, Jun 17, 2014.

1. linkthegamer

linkthegamer Master Astronaut

The nightly is not really for playing, the progession is borked. If you attempt to legitly play and judge the state of the game based on it you will be dissapointed. Give /admin a whirl. The dungeon is the first spawn for testing purposes, it is not even ment to be gone through without bandages.

2. LethalShade

LethalShade Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Obvious troll is obvious...

[​IMG]

3. Squaky

Squaky Pangalactic Porcupine

There's loads of new assets. Its the one thing you chose to criticise and the one thing that isn't even an issue. And spawning in a dungeon lasted from last Wednesday to Friday morning so thats bollox as well. If you don't like the nightlies that's fair enough, its an acquired taste: I only got on it after playing the beta for about 500 hours and getting bored of all the mods that were available, but even in beta its still better value than another call of duty or Ubisoft game.

4. Untrustedlife

Untrustedlife Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Dungeon was just a test.

5. Tymon

Tymon Cosmic Narwhal

What was the dungeon's grade?! I want to see it's report card! In all seriousness though it was certainly an unusual test to say the least. Although I found the dungeon kind of annoying. I sorta stopped playing nightly shortly after I finished it and went back to stable though.

6. linkthegamer

It was kinda bad they made it the first thing people spawned into, but I also get wanting to check it out and work on it fast and not need to get a ship ready to warp to the location (assuming it was set as the spawn for the devs to work on it, not the players to try out). Saddly due to this being a developer build made public there are going to be things that seems like "stupid design choices" since it is made for ease of in-house testing and not out of house play.

503geek likes this.
  7. Tymon

Tymon Cosmic Narwhal

Aye. I noticed that too. Some of the things they've done in nightly builds make me question the sanity of the developers at times though. Like, I remember the first nightly I played, you couldn't die. at all. You took no fall damage, you took no damage from cold, hunger didn't decrease, monsters/enemies couldn't hit you... it was interesting to be able to take a lava bath without any damage though!

8. 503geek

503geek Scruffy Nerf-Herder

That's called admin mode and was mentioned on the forum dozens of times. Enabled by default for testing purposes and easily turned off.

linkthegamer likes this.
  9. linkthegamer

That was just becuase they had /ruinthefun (which is now /admin) on by default. Personally I remember people complaining about the unfixable (without commands) ships and monsters being turned off and how they did "Negative work". The nightly is supposed to just be the same build the developers are using, and that means you sometimes get ones that make no sense form a player standpoint or have a bunch of missing hooks (so things don't work right), or some such.

The dungeon was neat the first time (the timed jump was annoying due to lag spikes from my set-up). Every other time I would just spawn myself some platforms, leave, and try out some other things. You have to play the nightly as a fun little testing showcase rather then a proper game to really have fun. Look at the new stuff, cheat, bomb that dungeon to the ground.

10. spiritofcat

spiritofcat Big Damn Hero

The dungeon was there for a few days, and it has been gone now for a few days since then.
    The nightly builds are STATED to be broken and perhaps unplayable.
    If you're not willing to deal with that, then stick with the stable branch.

11. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Oxygen Tank

i still spawn in the doungen =(
    maybe i should do a univerce whip =p

12. spiritofcat

Yeah, whip it, whip it good!

Someone said there's moonstone on moons now, but I only saw that the moon base has some more underground areas completed and there are some purple crystals that definitely aren't moonstone.
    Moonstone ore already exists in the game assets, so I don't know why they would use these big purple crystals if they meant it to be moonstone ore.

Also noticed that Novakids got some more hairstyle and body colour choices.

13. goldbrandz

goldbrandz Void-Bound Voyager

Your musics bad and you should feel bad.

14. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Oxygen Tank

the moonstones are gold cressent shaped stones

the giant crystels are called Supermatter crystals but dont do anything

there is also ember coral fragments and bug shells bit no idea wha tthey do lol

15. ejh1990

ejh1990 Phantasmal Quasar

A cross-post from something I posted in the nightly admin codes thread, but more people are likely to see it here. And I think it's pretty cool. Though some of you will have already found this out...

Turns out you can currently spawn the Outpost merchants as items too! Since they are "containers" rather than NPCs at the moment, they are basically objects. Objects that can be spawned. Like this:

[​IMG]

You can spawn the merchants like so:

Infinity Express - /spawnitem infinityexpress
    Penguin Bay - /spawnitem penguinbay
    Terramart - /spawnitem terramart
    Treasured Trophies - /spawnitem treasuredtrophies

Haedes, Akado, linkthegamer and 2 others like this.
  16. spiritofcat

So are you finding moonstone ore on moons now without my mod?

17. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Oxygen Tank

no i spawned them in

18. Lintton

Lintton Guest

Are they your bog standard arms dealers and grocers or is there more to them? Maybe I'll check it once I get home. They look too cool to be the same merchants.

19. linkthegamer

ATM they are just large containers, they have no inventory.

20. Hatsya Souji

Hatsya Souji Parsec Taste Tester

I suspect they'll base their interaction system to the Ship AI