1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Starbound Nightly Beta Findings or Interesting Things

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by phillip2001, Jun 17, 2014.

1. Lintton

Lintton Guest

Flashlights look like they are fixed, and are no longer OP below ground. =(

Titanium ore now looks spotted, likely to make them clearer to see and distinguish.

Still not seeing as much of a use for gold and silver ore once the pickaxes are made. Maybe we want to have our streets lined in gold, Chucklefish? =D

(not diamond, that'd be slippery.)

2. spiritofcat

spiritofcat Big Damn Hero

Mods work on the Nightly builds. In fact, I've been making a few to fix some of the problems we've been encountering in recent nightly builds.
    As to specific mods working or not, that will depend on which assets they modify and rely on. You'd have to test them out one a case by case basis.

3. Starboundcommunity566

Starboundcommunity566 Pangalactic Porcupine

I didn't seem to have any luck with race slot expanders + custom race mods

4. Kentoz

Kentoz Subatomic Cosmonaut

Hmm, no change to the outpost gates, but I did just notice there was an art change to the empty creature capture pod.
    [​IMG]

EDIT: Outposts are back, but there is still nothing to do but steal objects for later 3d printing, and still nothing keeping the entire population from committing mass-self-termination via jumping off the asteroid.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
  5. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Oxygen Tank

space base jumping

6. FrostyAvo

FrostyAvo Void-Bound Voyager

Don't you mean SBASE jumping? :rofl:

Haedes and MysticMalevolence like this.
  7. Squaky

Squaky Pangalactic Porcupine

They've added more stuff to the moon base, including the ore you'll need to fix the ftl drive, although at the moment it just comes up as crystal blocks if you mine it. There's also a huge hollowed out area further down which I assume will be filled by the dungeon when its finished. I also noticed that if you go far enough underground from the mine you can breathe again, but I'm not sure if that was always the case with moons, and there was a biome with some hylotl stuff I havent seen in the actual game yet further down.

8. Cipherstar

Cipherstar Scruffy Nerf-Herder

This is the error I get:

[​IMG]

Another:
    [​IMG]

I don't have shipworld or universe files, I already deleted them.
    No mods either.
    The Nightly just straight up does not work for me.

*sigh* Starbound gets so many errors, even in standard (Though this is Nightly, so it's more or less expected).

Edit: I got it to launch at least, but now before getting to the main menu it crashes and spouts nonsense about recipes and tier2engine things. I imagine that has something to do with the FTL drives that were implemented so you can actually finish that quest? None of the mods I added should have such a thing.

9. linkthegamer

linkthegamer Master Astronaut

Simple fix. Delete starbound.config.

Beware there is a sehtrampoline crash bug we have not yet figured out, best i can think i be careful lighting up areas around underground water.

10. Cipherstar

I got it to launch at least, but now before getting to the main menu it crashes and spouts nonsense about recipes and tier2engine things. I imagine that has something to do with the FTL drives that were implemented so you can actually finish that quest? None of the mods I added should have such a thing.
    Grrrrrr
    Why would a stupid recipe crash the game anyway. It's just a frickin recipe, ignore it and move on >,..,<

11. linkthegamer

Rename your mod folder and retry.

The recipe might make a call to a nonexistant item and the engine freaks out. Don't know how/if starbound is designed to handle mod issues.

Can you post the error so I can take a look at it?

12. Cipherstar

[​IMG]

*sigh*
    It is one of my mods after all. I can't find which is causing issue though. There are a fair few, lots of folders and folders in folders. I've already looked through all item folders looking for the recipe in question.

linkthegamer likes this.
  13. linkthegamer

It happens, sorry to hear that. The only real way to check is keep turning them on one by one till something breaks.

14. Cipherstar

Alright then, so these would be my findings:
    CreativeMode, Modulars, United Systems Enhancement are all incompatible with Nightly.
    XSMech, ODB2CCM, Pixel Goods Store, Ningen, Lyetzi'sGunshopMod, Dungeoneer Dungeons, and Breakable Ship Objects (though I'm pretty sure that was part of another mod...) are, as far as I can tell.

CreativeMode gives Tier2Engine error. Modulars gives a Fuelhatch error. United Systems gives a wallpaper error or something like that.

Edit.
    *grumpy*

[​IMG]

Nevermind.
    SOMETHING is still screwin' me up. This comes after creating a character and trying to enter the game.

linkthegamer likes this.
  15. spiritofcat

spiritofcat Big Damn Hero

The most useful information after a crash can be found in the starbound.log file.
    I've found that when debugging my own mods that will usually tell me exactly where the problem is, down to the line and character number.

linkthegamer likes this.
  16. Cipherstar

It's the ningen race. If you delete a file to solve the one error, another just pops up. Ningen = no Nightly. I'm going to test other custom races.

*Elevator music*
    The Neko Race mod causes a huge error when you try to create the character (If you click the random name gen, or if you try to submit your creation)
    [​IMG]

The Viera Race Mod doesn't crash on creation or name generation but crashes when you try to enter:
    [​IMG]

The Avali Race mod causes crash when you try to launch the game, something about tiles.
    [​IMG]

The Felins race mod has the same error as the Viera Race mod.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

I've decided to conclude that Race Mods are, in general, not usable with Nightly.

Edit:
    The gunshop mod is NOT compatible either. It runs, but the second you try to open one of the menus associated with it's items, it instantly crashes with no error that shows up. If you have one of it's techs equipped, your FPS drops to less than 1, like playing a slideshow.

Edit: Neither is Pixel Goods, for the same reason.
    I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say no mods not specifically built for Nightly will work with it ._, So many errors... so many...

Green Causali-Tea likes this.
  17. SivCorp

SivCorp Parsec Taste Tester

It is broken. Seriously. Don't use mods unless specificly built for THAT DAYs instance.

18. Cipherstar

Has anyone noticed the gate works now? Leads to this Infinity Express place.

19. Kentoz

Kentoz Subatomic Cosmonaut

Last night's update, as I already mentioned. Also had some art changes to some items..

20. sf2000

sf2000 Astral Cartographer

Interesting things I found after picking up this disaster 5 month after I decided to avoid it:

Instead of an endless universe I get stuck in a dungeon. New feature: Getting insta-killed by a bunch of random enemies instead of playing. Same bad controls, but now you are required to fine-tune every single jump or you will never see the outside of that hole in the ground. Which, new feature: Does not include a single asset or monster that I haven't already seen five month ago.
    Wow, you have come a long way :badpokerface:

Well, I really hope that other people are smart enough to pirate this before they buy it. This might not have been a mistake worth making, but I've learned my lesson.

Moderator Edit: User was temp banned over this post. Reason: Promoting piracy. Ban expires: 3 months.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2014