1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Starbound Nightly Beta Findings or Interesting Things

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by phillip2001, Jun 17, 2014.

1. Fibriel Solaer

Fibriel Solaer Space Kumquat

I think it's more that the dungeon overrides the biome, therefore no trees and grass can grow because they require a biome to specify WHICH trees and grass.

linkthegamer likes this.
  2. linkthegamer

linkthegamer Master Astronaut

I would say that is correct.

That makes since.

That would be neat.

Don't worry, I am sure some more horrible (but hilarious) bug will be introduce before the next patch.

There have been a lot of improvements, the tile one is the biggest but they also improved file read/write to make loading faster as well, especially since the slow loading was a complaint and also it is a lot harder to test the crash-prone nightly when loading takes 5 minutes.

3. 503geek

503geek Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Certainly a valid guess. Its a tough call but I imagine that the engine will need to be able to detect and get along with the biome and fill in those blocks around the bounds of the dungeon. Underground dungeons will be randomly inserted into planets so I don't think they will influence the biome. But your guess is as good as mine.

4. Fibriel Solaer

Not knowing how Starbound is programmed, I can't in good faith suggest an indepth fix, but for all their faults the developers are fine programmers and I know they can figure it out.

linkthegamer likes this.
  5. Blake81

Blake81 Cosmic Narwhal

I just noticed a new (but luckily harmless) bug. Whenever you beam back to your ship, the planets in the background and even the one you are in currently vanish from the view. Weird stuff.

Also, I just noticed that all Outposts are gone; you can now only access them via a Gate. And speaking of gates, I hope the Devs somehow reduce their numbers a bit; there's just TOO MANY of them per system. Heck, I even saw a system that had 5 Gates and only one planet (which was, ironically, a Gas Giant). I think that one or two gates per system is more than enough....

6. Fibriel Solaer

7. spiritofcat

spiritofcat Big Damn Hero

Nice work!
    I'm keen to check that out later today!

8. 503geek

@Fibriel Solaer I've unpacked your mod into the mods directory but it doesn't seem to be making any difference. Any ideas? (I'm new to using mods btw, I checked the threads about installing them and didn't see anything that I'm doing wrong)

9. GreenSpectre

GreenSpectre Void-Bound Voyager

Those starter dungeons are much larger, there is a hole you can dig down in the first monster chamber after the gem switch which is covered by these horizontal large blocks and digging down leads to a chamber with two large flying monsters stuck in a box.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Its a long fall down so you want survive without using tech or being admin.

Uzkniso likes this.
  10. linkthegamer

You broke it. Press E with your mouse over the cuffs on the wall above it, they are a switch.

11. GreenSpectre

GreenSpectre Void-Bound Voyager

Ahh I see, cool. These dungeons look like they will be fun once everything is sorted out. Looking forward to hiding rooms and bases as well.

12. linkthegamer

Thanks for the image though. Neat to see they boxed the monsters in so they can't escape till you activate it.

13. Squaky

Squaky Pangalactic Porcupine

I had the same thing but you fall into a pool of water., then the lever on the right opens a three glitch trapdoors so you can jump up on the left. Its quite annoying that the MM is broke so if you beam down you can't escape, but I really appreciate how much more complex this dungeon is compared to anything else they've produced. I'd quite like it if they let you know when it was worth checking out a nightly build though. Also, is there anyway of running both versions?

Untrustedlife likes this.
  14. linkthegamer

MM is fixed, But dungeon blocks now have pretty high resistance to mining.

Look for SUAL or one of the guides for running nightlies and stables. I can find them and edit them in but not up for it at the moment. Saddly I doubt they will post "check this one out" or "skip this one" on the blogs.

The poster forgot to pull the switch, otherwise you would have had the same experince.

15. Fibriel Solaer

You need to delete your universe folder so that the planet you're already on is regenerated.

16. 503geek

That did it. Thanks, you rock :)

17. Blake81

Blake81 Cosmic Narwhal

It's sort of funny that they're announcing the ''New Look for the Minerals'' now, as I found out it's ALREADY IN, and if mind serves, was there for the last two nightlies.

18. Squaky

Squaky Pangalactic Porcupine

It would be nice if they just put a header on a blog post saying its worth checking out, like when the first working quest is implemented. I play it everyday for about 20 minutes, just checking out the gates and moons and stuff but you just wind up frustrated. It would be good to know what's been added each night. It would probably be beneficial in the long run too because the only people really interested in the nightlies are ones who have played the beta so much their actually bored of it, so they seize on every minor change like the elixir of life.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
  19. linkthegamer

I play becuase I like testing stuff. I kinda worry telling people what to check out will either lead to them not listing a thing somedays (due to little of interest, internal changes only) and getting told "wow, can't even make something interesting for tonight, come on devs". I also worry about getting too many new people into the beta, while I am fine with helping everyone one of them get it to work (I assume @Maxwell Demonic would be up to it as well) some people don't like the buggyness and will even quit and diss the game when they get an issue that prevents start-up or need a player and world wipe. It would be nice and maybe someone in the community can read the blogs and try the nightlies and post what is good (kinda what we do here when I am not troubleshooting for someone) but just kinda worried anything offical would be used in a negative light. Also I kinda like the Seecret (that was intentional) update aspect of not knowing what all exactly is new.

20. spiritofcat

spiritofcat Big Damn Hero

I have the unpacked asset files from two days ago, and in those the violium still has a bar shape when refined, and there's no sign of prisilium.

Edit:
    Okay, so I just unpacked today's assets, and it looks like violium is still a bar, and prisilium still doesn't exist. I've got no idea what you're talking about.

Edit again:
    Also, looks like the liquid gun is gone in tonight's update.
    My progression mod that created a recipe for it now crashes the game because the item doesn't exist anymore.
    I guess the functionality of the liquid gun is being built into the matter manipulator.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
    linkthegamer likes this.