1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Starbound freeze/crash at Chucklefish logo~

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by DJOkamical, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Skorvold

Skorvold Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Windows XP here. Is this an XP only crash?

2. Onimath

Onimath Void-Bound Voyager

One XP more in the list. Freezed in the logo, and don't want work. Some help or ideas?

3. Someone mentioned they were having the same issue on windows 8, but I think it's mainly XP users. I've been trying different Steam launch commands to see if I can skip the splash and get straight to the menu but it ends up running as a process and a window never pops up. I'm currently downloading it over again in hope it was a bad download.

If anyone finds a solution please post it here! thanks!

4. Lucaine

Lucaine Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Also XP here. Same problem.

5. moseythepirate

moseythepirate Pangalactic Porcupine

I had this problem, but fixed it by disabling windows firewall.

6. NoxiousRaven

NoxiousRaven Scruffy Nerf-Herder

If that's the case, then it's trying to access the Internet (launcher maybe?).

7. Skorvold

It launches two beta programs from the launcher

8. what? I don't even have windows firewall installed on my pc. it shouldn't effect safe mode launch.

I just updated my VC++ redist files and no improvement still freezing.

That happened to me when I got impatient and press launch game too many times. the initial launch of a regular game takes a bit, but as soon as the splash screen pop it it freezes and becomes unresponsive.

Sarzael likes this.
  9. Miss Andry

Miss Andry Cosmic Narwhal

happens on my crappy laptop

works fine on my beefy desktop. Would rather play it on my crappy laptop though

10. Solstice

Solstice Void-Bound Voyager

Also using Windows XP.
    It froze at the Chucklefish logo for about ten minutes then the screen went black. I waited another ten minutes and nothing happened, so I just closed it.

11. Sarzael

Sarzael Oxygen Tank

Windows XP here too :U

12. Oxalis

Oxalis Void-Bound Voyager

Also windows xp, disabling steam overlay did nothing and I don't use windows firewall. Safemode and launcher do same thing. If disabling firewall fixed it maybe you have to open a particular port so it can access the internet, but that makes zero sense if it's just an issue for XP... it'd be an issue for everyone.

13. Daigorou

Daigorou Space Spelunker

From the looks of it, there's yet to be an XP user who managed to get past the logo.

14. DJOkamical

DJOkamical Space Kumquat

Fixed a while ago~
    You just have to wait a minute or so, and the game will resume~

15. Skorvold

Except this doesn't work.

16. Sarzael

Sarzael Oxygen Tank

Doesnt work for me...

17. Lucaine

Lucaine Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Does not work.

18. Karock

Karock Master Chief

What operating system are you using? For most people in the thread waiting isn't working for 'a minute or so' or 20 minutes, but IF you were on XP, that would be useful to know it's working for you.

19. DVSCold

DVSCold Orbital Explorer

I can't even open Starbound, all I get is an error:

C:\Users\X\AppData\Local\Temp\WERE59D.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml
    C:\Users\X\AppData\Local\Temp\WER2AF7.tmp.appcompat.txt
    C:\Users\X\AppData\Local\Temp\WER2E91.tmp.mdmp

Running with a higher end computer with Windows 7, with all drivers up to date, I've tried everything that's been suggested, and a few things by myself but I can't seem to solve it.

20. What version of Windows are you using. Waiting doesn't fix anything I waited over 10 minutes and it doesn't do anything.