Starbound for PS Vita

Discussion in 'Starbound FAQs, Q&A, and General Help' started by Ewan, May 27, 2013.

1. Ewan

Ewan Orbital Explorer

So far i am loving what this game will become, now that i see Terraria will be avalible for consoles, is it possible to "addapted" Starbound for PS Vita?
    I would love to haw this game on handheld device and play it "anywhere" without of PC.
    And i dont mind buying this game multiple times as long as it helps Devs.

JazzPigeon likes this.
  2. Ewan

Ewan Orbital Explorer

May be so, but if they use this chance of "pre-beta" and plan ahead the transition might be more easy.

richtofin819 likes this.
  3. Evangelion

Evangelion Supernova

Though I love the PSP and I suppose... the Vita too...

I feel like the controls might be awkward.

4. GamerGod

GamerGod Phantasmal Quasar

for psvita?i'm all for it.

richtofin819 likes this.
  5. JazzPigeon

JazzPigeon Starship Captain

I would be on board, it would go well with my other 3 Vita games. :rofl:

richtofin819 likes this.
  6. FrozenFlame

FrozenFlame Giant Laser Beams

Yeah it may come along. Since they say that they plan on releasing on other systems too.
    Would be fine I guess, L - R for left and right click, right analog for aiming, etc. It has touchscreen support too so that should make menu's and item ogranization easier.

Just go. It will be awesome.

JazzPigeon likes this.
  7. JazzPigeon

Just please for the love of all that is good, make the controlls re-mappable!!!

GamerGod and Commander Donut like this.
  8. Percival

Percival Phantasmal Quasar

Well, that possibility would be rather dependent on Sony actually wanting to put games on the Vita. Which they seem to really, really hate doing if it's anything other than a port, or a side-story to a PS3 game.

Vandrian likes this.
  9. Ginganx

Ginganx Star Wrangler

It would be great, but that could take quite some time and be very hard for the team to update that one AND the PC version at the same time. The controls might also be weird. I wouldn't like using the touch screen or analog very much compared to a mouse. :cautious:

As for "playing it anywhere" there are laptops :DD

Kitty Box and WoxandWarf like this.
  10. JazzPigeon

it could be ported like Terraria's console version. :)

11. transcengopher

transcengopher Zero Gravity Genie

You mean someone else rather than developers will do it? Do you really see this as a viable option for them?

12. JazzPigeon

Meh. I don't see why not, Terraria could do it, why couldn't they?
    not at launch, obviously. but eventually, yeah don't see why not.
    hell, give it 8 months, after it's made some real sales, they could port it themselves. not exactly dealing with the Gordian Knot. lol :)

13. Ginganx

Ginganx Star Wrangler

The thing is though that for a very long time, Terraria was finished, giving them time to port everything without them missing out on stuff. Starbound will be updated constantly for a year, making it hard to keep up with the game's updates and content.

JazzPigeon likes this.
  14. Gentleraptor

Gentleraptor Pangalactic Porcupine

The PS Vita is actually a horrible console for Starbound in my opinion.

Why? Storage space is already so overpriced and limited on it. A game like Starbound has save files that grow in size constantly (even small increments matter on it). For example, a 16 GB (it's not actually that much either) storage card costs 50 € where I live. I can buy a 2 TB external harddrive for just 40 € more...

On a home console, you could have some sort of external storage device plucked in I guess. On a handheld, storage space is a real problem. You'd pretty much either have to dedicate an entire SD card for the game, or get an horribly overpriced one.

15. Sophisticated Mayhem

Sophisticated Mayhem Scruffy Nerf-Herder

The Vita needs more games, but Starbound seems like it'd have a complicated existence on the Vita. I think this is something to think about way after the fact, after all the bugs are worked out of the PC version and features are fully realized, etc. You'd have to adapt the game to use twin sticks (which, on the Vita, are just sort of... okay), and more importantly, test the whole thing again on the Vita to pass Sony certification. The Starbound team has an Ouya, which is Android based, and they haven't even spoken about if they've played with a quick port or anything. I think honestly considering the Ouya devkit that an Android version is more likely. Then you can play it on a Nvidia Shield.

Gentleraptor brings up the best point, though: you will definitely need the storage available to support the game. I guess it would depend on how big world files get, though. Not like we know.

WoxandWarf likes this.
  16. JazzPigeon

That's a good point, actually, I think I have a 4gb card in mine, because I can't afford a better one, and I constantly fear that the next game update will kill my memory card. :boo:

17. Argthrond

Argthrond Oxygen Tank

Ps Vita? Why not? It's not %100, but it's possible imo.

18. dak47922

dak47922 Pangalactic Porcupine

new_snek, GamerGod and JazzPigeon like this.
  19. JazzPigeon

20. Gentleraptor

Gentleraptor Pangalactic Porcupine

Well, will be interesting to see how that works out... I might even get it if its cheap, but I really doubt it will work out too well (But then again, there's only one world a piece to explore, so it might be better)