Starbound Development Roundup #1

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, Mar 31, 2015.

1. Quillian

Quillian Void-Bound Voyager

Really like the video format. Very fun and informative.

Question about teleporters, though:
    If they break when you mine/break them down what's to stop griefers on a multiplayer server from destroying your teleporters? Is Chucklefish wanting to do something in the future where you can set up a no-mine zone like in the dungeons and the like? Cuz if so, then that could be used to make the teleporters unbreakable (by anyone) and that's fine. I, personally, would love to be able to make my own dungeons/etc in game for my base and set it so that it can't be mined by visitors.

2. Hwo Thumb

Hwo Thumb Scruffy Nerf-Herder

The features in the video look really nice. I especially like the combat changes. In previous versions, it felt like weapons became outdated too quickly, so finding a rare or unique weapons wasn't too exciting because I knew it'd be obsolete soon. I'm really looking forward to the special attacks.

Keep up the awesome work, guys. This game gets better and better every day.

Edit: A question on teleporters: You said that when you break a teleporter it gives you back a teleport core. But don't those cost MORE than the base teleporter?

3. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

There's nothing about these updates I don't like. The change to how weapon damage is calculated is a wonderfully elegant solution to an issue that was... minor but irksome. Hello again, Rainbow Sword!

BUT... this does make me wonder how this affects weapons we already have in-game. Will there be an automatic stat-change to already-existing stuff?

4. Varixai

Varixai Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

If anybody was wondering what the symbols on the challenge gates said (from the dev video last post). They were total spoilers, haha.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also, one of the quests that will give you a Teleporter Core in the next update is this one.

MrChow and Old_Crazy_Gamer like this.
  5. SamuelXproductions

SamuelXproductions Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Okay good

6. Shamalayah

Shamalayah Void-Bound Voyager

Isn't there like a command for that? Something like /settileprotection i think

7. Swiftpaw

Swiftpaw Phantasmal Quasar

Can't wait for more characters and more plot! That's my big problem right now, running out of things to do.

8. Mogg

Mogg Pangalactic Porcupine

Mmmm. This will make navigating my city that will be an entire planet very nice.
    Awesome job figuring out how to stop the mobile teleporter abuse.

Ui navigation will be nice. Makes it nicer to know what window is where.

Nice to know early weapons have longer life of use. Still there is the problem they will get dumped eventually. With the many types of weapons, and with the in work specials for weapons as an added random element, what if you find one weapon that is absolutely perfect in look and feel yet no longer is viable for use later on? Wouldn't it be better to add an improvement system to weapons? Many different weapons to find and collect but the option to keep the one weapon you really love and upgrade it to the power of the target tier.

Pets sound like tamagotchi. So basically, you find a stray on the ship you are on to escape certain death.
    Why not a backpack that would allow you to carry a pet planet-side? While you have your pet you may not unequip the backpack. Perhaps too much effort for something not so useful. Then again, there's plenty of useless content that has been expanded upon. Not sure about anyone else, but the role player in me would love to carry a faithful pet to various locales.
    I suggest an airlock feature - a method to remove the pet if it is not desired. :rofl:

Thankyou for the vid.

9. claudekennilol

claudekennilol Space Kumquat

Thanks, I did. I still can't hear it. Every other sound I've got works fine, it's unique to this video. The voice is just incredible soft spoken and the sound levels aren't near standard enough that I can just hear it without other fancy tricks to increase the volume.

10. BotanicalCode

BotanicalCode Subatomic Cosmonaut

Actually, I liked the window colors. It did kinda clash w/ the background, but it adds more color to the UI

11. Tiy

Tiy Lead Developer Chucklefish

We're going to keep trying to put out videos like this and hopefully get better at them too

yclatious, Jonesy, Darklight and 3 others like this.
  12. TheEverlastingBoss

TheEverlastingBoss Void-Bound Voyager

Such British Gentlemen

13. Vertelan

Vertelan Void-Bound Voyager

I think it would be cool if you guys would make food items placeable, so that you could actually have real food and drinks on a table. And then you could punch "e" hovering over the placed food and actually eat it. I mean, it's not a game changer, but it's definitely aesthetically pleasing. =}

14. CaTerithy

CaTerithy Aquatic Astronaut

I like the video please continue doing them for updates they are realty helpful and cool.