Starbound Development Roundup #1

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, Mar 31, 2015.

1. Soundless Productions

Soundless Productions Aquatic Astronaut

Awesome stuff! I really like the combat changes!

Anyway here's an idea for the teleporters, instead of you getting back only the teleporter core when you break it to prevent people from just carrying one around so they have an easy out, perhaps you could instead require some sort of link establishment ritual you have to go through before it becomes active. Like if you place a teleporter, you could list it's name in the global teleporter list but before you are able to use it, you must first go back to your ship and establish a link with that teleporter to allow it into the teleportation network or something.

2. I am referring to Static Items in general across all tiers -- a balance of Static Items and Random Items -- in order to breathe more concrete things into the game, so that there is more to identify with and less things left to chance. Biome items do this to an extent -- but planets, and the game as a whole require this balance. So I'm providing feedback that I hope the devs don't go too ham on their rng when it comes to effects.

DaedricShadow likes this.
  3. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Did someone mention ham?

4. Jarod

Jarod Cosmic Narwhal

okay so one of my favorite things in Starbound, that was ultimately removed, was the eating of bandages. I understand the change but It was really amusing and instantly become an inside joke with all my friends and other Starbound players.. But I have an idea. I think it would be a really cool easteregg or nod to those who tested the early stages of Starbound to have gummy bandages that can be found in apex dungeons with a funny message like "early testing failure in research of healthcare products" with it. (or maybe just bought in stores) I would absolutely love if u did this. PLZzzzz!

SP3CTR3 and Morzan like this.
  5. DaedricShadow

DaedricShadow Pangalactic Porcupine

I think the words you're looking for are sushi and carrots. Apparently, your fellow cat-folk as shown in the video loves them!
    That would be amazing! It's a shame that it's now midnight, and April Fools' is tomorrow so they wouldn't have enough time to make those bandages. However, I'm sure someone could make it a mod!
    I think that would be way too difficult for players. I don't feel like placing teleporters in a bunch of planets and have to go back up to my ship every time I want to use a new one. I don't think that particular idea would be very convenient with most players, but I like where you're coming from.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
  6. BloodyFingers

BloodyFingers The End of Time

Who cares about any of that?

I want to know how can I lasso a piece of flying cobblestone like that. What a neat trick! o_O

/jk

7. AdriexDoom

AdriexDoom Scruffy Nerf-Herder

It is very nice to have the videos to watch for these updates. If anything it's a nice way to group the community together some more. Now as I tend to do with updates, I'd like to post my suggestions and ideas.
    It will be a little lengthy, but I would greatly appreciate if these were considered.
    -------------------------------------------------------

-Your character and enemies should be able to be knocked back, knocked down.
    flung through the air, and all manner of real impacts.

-Would it be possible to make a weapon swung in the air stick in to
    the wall and hang like a grappling hook? Maybe a special weapon.

-I'd also like to see much more weight and effort in the character. A visible
    step and push in a jump, a visible force when you land. Some visible
    force in the air from the jump itself. Even if you made it so the velocity
    from running wasn't constant, but delivered a subtle pulse in each step
    of the characters animation. Or if the torso and up area of the character
    lowered a little just before you were lifted from a jump. Anything to
    really show the effort and forces. We need more empathy and connection
    with the characters encounters for things like platforming and combat
    to have more satisfaction than a few swings or jumps for some progress.

------------

-Classes and secondary powers. Not something complex, but
    something more then some armor for more energy. I want to have
    powers because I chose a certain specialty for my character. Something
    more inherent, like secondary powers from your weapon. A high damage
    laser blast with high cool down. Laser caltrops and trip mines. Throwing weapons
    that don't take up a hand, to be as useful as a side knife should be. Decoy holograms.
    For having a two handed weapon system, I don't often feel like I have a lot to work with
    that isn't 4 ways to jump around the room.

-We need these tools to help players delegate roles, and handle separate enemies.
    Right now I feel like we're all just grinding bullets through the same space.
    That's not so bad for bosses and heavy enemies, but it's a bit of a snooze
    when it's all we've got.

-Armor powers. For the later tier armors you should be able to use
    an armor power like a force-field, short range barrier, burrow in to
    the ground and move a short distance or stay shortly for defense. Since it relates
    so closely to tech, it would probably just be merged somehow. Activated tech's
    would probably come from your armor then.

-If class progression is going to keep focusing more on armor, you should implement
    the secondary powers I mentioned in to a microchip upgrade sort of system. Then
    these class powers would be directly attached to your armor. Like.. Iron man or something.
    This is the future right? Could we have a portable jarvis AI? That'd be cool.

--------------

-As was mentioned, I want to find my pet and rescue it.
    I want a thorough pet system, not a 1 way linear encounter.
    Starting the adventure on your own and finding this small animal
    that you take in is much more satisfying. It would probably be
    best that the ones you find on a planet appear orphaned
    as baby versions of the pets. If the ship pets are just going to be a
    character we meet in the game more than a companion, I'm
    not sure how much I would consider that a pet.

-I would love if we could take the pets down to the planet with us to fight
    as well. It is a little far fetched for things like a cat to be so intelligent and
    strong that it can fight alongside us, but there should definitely be an
    option for them to tag along somehow. If they could protect themselves
    instead of fight, ride on your shoulder when you're traveling too fast,
    hide in a nearby bush or tree when you start fighting. If you could equip
    them with small armors, wings, jets. Some kind of tool to make them
    accompanying you more sensible. While keeping very small scale.
    Pet armor would be as small as some bracelets or a collar, something on their tail.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    That's all for now, thanks for reading.

8. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

@DaedricShadow, there's ham, rice cakes, and tentacle bits in felin fridges right now. I'll add sushi to the treasurepool now. Thanks for suggesting it.

DaedricShadow likes this.
  9. Starboundbyboundedstars

Starboundbyboundedstars Void-Bound Voyager

I'd love to see a video on server stability one day.

10. cerebellus

cerebellus Tentacle Wrangler

Gosh! I could not believe the speedup just by fixing the font, I confirm that it makes the difference on older machines like mine! They should definitely fix it in the game.

Thanks for the mod!!!

MrChow likes this.
  11. engiSonic

engiSonic Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Aster/Ester/??ster the Archeologist. I assume you work with her to unravel the mystery of the ark and the tentacomet's return. She's the one who put the tents up in the ark.

I think the following is how the climactic boss fight/end-story boss(not ending the game) will go down:

Members of each race have to team up while some distract the tentacomet while others stick the six keys into the ark, and once the keys are in place, the tentacomet is defeated or weakened. Then something story-ending related happens, and after all the story happens, you'll be given free roam, knowing that the bigger bad is trapped as some prophecy foretold or whatever for 10000 more years.

12. Misquoth

Misquoth Aquatic Astronaut

Awesome. A+. You guys rule.

13. Ravager

Ravager Title Not Found

Since she is an archaeologist, I think Ester should have something more mobile than a wheelchair, but also seeing as she seemed aged, maybe some sort of mount. For example, if she needs to dig bones out of walls or climb tricky terrain, wheels won't cut it. What about something similar to a wheelchair, but with mechanical legs? Or, some special creature mount that lets her go where she can't reach her dig sites on her own? Just a thought.

14. Tiev

Tiev Subatomic Cosmonaut

More technical stuff, pretty please!

15. MithranArkanere

MithranArkanere Space Kumquat

I really like this. Even though it had things I already knew, there was also interesting stuff like insider explanations.

16. ninjarat007

ninjarat007 Void-Bound Voyager

While everything worked on so far seems fantastic, I've only have on tiny critique which would have to be not necessarily the pet creation/choice, but rather maybe an option of different pets per species (i.e a person allergic to cats may prefer a pig, or dog or something), just for the sort of role playing aspect of their character. I assume later on their will be mods made that do that sort of thing, but I just figured it might be a nice addition to the vanilla game within itself. Thanks for taking the time to read this, I love the game and have high regards for you all working on it. Appreciate all the great ideas and good work. :)

17. Xentor Antarix

Xentor Antarix Ketchup Robot

Pfff that menas again the whole parametersystem get changed *sights* ther eI was yet happy I had done the actual one in my Racemod this time. Ah we will see.

But I would suggest that Teleporters should not work Universewide.
    They should be limited to one Planet, or ok if we want it ral big to one Sunsystem.
    Or it will make the ships very redundant.

Bye the way, would it possible to make it doable to add frameanimations to a meleeweapon?
    I made some Energybased Meleeweapons for my Mod but natural I could not add any "look" effect to them, like I did to my weapons.

A Thing with pets, I would like.
    Why make them raceset? Let us find them. Finding things is ever the most cool general.
    Or combine them with the Catch a Mod system?

Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
  18. Dekadrachm

Dekadrachm Heliosphere

Uh combat improvments will be a pain to keep my mod balanced, anyways great work, can't wait for secondary attacks even though I added them for melee, If you can do this with guns then that will be something special for example a grenade launcher :)

19. jacob mesick

jacob mesick Void-Bound Voyager

I am impressed by this game. Thank you for the update. I am particularly interested on viewing the cavern improvements.

20. Titanium

Titanium Existential Complex

Really like the fact that players seem to need to physically register each individual teleports on their own to use them.

It reduces the "overpowered" nature you mentioned that they could possibly have uninhibited.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2015