1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed STARBOUND BETA: BUGS DATABASE (UPBEAT GIRAFFE) -Bug testers needed

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Alucard I, Dec 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. janosiksix

janosiksix Aquatic Astronaut

When I am fighting Erchius Horror, at the beggining of the third phase, after a couple seconds I start taking 35 dmg each second.

2. Regal Kain

Regal Kain Space Kumquat

Upbeat Giraffe: 2/3/2015
    Major Bug

Exactly as the quoted person, except using the short-range blink on an Outpost caused everything to vanish from the screen with a simple star background, re-logging did not fix it, the character now crashes single player, and is auto-rejected from servers. Cannot manage to fix it or get myself back in with the character.

3. Xavier Darkheart

Xavier Darkheart Pangalactic Porcupine

Hey guys, and gals, last night I was playing around just doing general exploration and found a bugged out mob attack. Dark Gravity Bubble I seem to recall was the name of it, I should have sent the report then but I was dog tired. Anyways, the attack itself was doing nothing, I would get no damage ping, or even sounds of a hit. I thought for a second it was a defense thing until I remembered I was in a high end area that has been grinding my face into the dirt, and I actually enjoy that btw, been ages since this game was hard, but I thought y'all should know about the bugged attack, in case it might lead to other errors or something.

4. Jezla

Jezla Void-Bound Voyager

I'm having the same issue. It's as if there are invisible beams, or the beams are out of sync with the animations.

Upbeat Giraffe
    Client Side? - not sure
    Erchius Boss beam animations don't match beam objects

When fighting the Erchius Horror, the 3rd phase beams ( x-pattern), seem to be out of sync with the animations. I get hit by the beams when I'm not even near them.

level1imp and Sm00thJa22 like this.
  5. Thalagyrt

Thalagyrt What do you get if you multiply six by nine?

A denial of service (specifically, consuming all available CPU resources on the server) is possible when utilizing the coordinates inputs in the ship navigation interface on a multiplayer server.

It appears that coordinates are sent to the server as they're typed in, and the server generates a section of map for every set of coordinates sent to it. On simply typing in new coordinates, this generates 10-20 sections of map, and each generation consumes about 4-5 seconds of CPU time. Without even attempting to exploit this, simply entering coords to go somewhere tends to cause the server to hang for about 30 seconds. Beyond that, it's possible to rapidly enter in new coordinates to continually consume CPU resources (and likely disk resources as well) on the server, which is especially detrimental in shared CPU environments such as a virtualized environment as it can have effects on other users of the same hardware.

A partial fix would be to add a delay when keystrokes are entered in order to wait for the final set of coordinates to be typed in before sending the coords to the server. I'd also think that it'd make sense to limit a client from generating new areas of space too frequently server-side, which should properly mitigate the issue.

Right now I just verified this on my server and caused a player to somehow kill themselves with a rocket launcher due to the projectile not updating its position. Seems the tickrate is about 1% of what it should be. They also somehow respawned on the planet instead of their ship, so it seems this triggers some weird edge cases. I simply entered two full coordinate strings and so far we're going on 5 minutes of CPU consumption and total unplayability.

pulchy and bluecollarart like this.
  6. JNFischer30

JNFischer30 Big Damn Hero

Windows 7 64 bit
    Upbeat Giraffe
    Feb 3, 2015
    Floating islands over Apex Village

Not sure if it's a glitch, it's just the first time I've seen this. I would like to see more of these but with awesome treasure inside.

Floating Island Bug.jpg

7. bluecollarart

bluecollarart Big Damn Hero

Wow, that sounds extremely serious! So someone could use that bug to not only crash a server, but every single server that's hosted on a machine at the same time?

8. Rannuncullus

Rannuncullus Void-Bound Voyager

1) Possibly not a bug, but a feature/working as should, or an interface bug.

My bug report is that i can't jump to others stars systems, te Navigation menu, keep telling "Jumping" but it never ends, i already wait for 20 minutes and never gets to the other star system, PLEASE HELP ME!

9. paramatter

paramatter Big Damn Hero

Upbeat giraffe, 64-bit Windows 7, mechanical keyboard with English layout, and trying to set custom keybinds completely breaks the controls, not just for the commands I'm actually changing either, resetting to default works fine though.

10. JNFischer30

Windows 7 64 bit
    Upbeat Giraffe
    Minor bug on the ship

If I punch in coordinates but close the ships navigation window BEFORE the ship find the coordinate, then I am unable to interact with anything except the SAIL. After I interact with SAIL then the game goes back to normal.

11. Thalagyrt

Thalagyrt What do you get if you multiply six by nine?

Lots of factors come into play here. In the case of VPS hosting, it depends on the overall CPU resources allotted to the virtual machine and the overall CPU resources of the host. Say the host has 12 physical CPUs and the Starbound server has 4 vCPUs, the Starbound server can be forced to consume 1/3rd of the total resources on the host. One of my typical host nodes (I run a hosting company for a living) will have about 80-100 VPSes on it and 12-16 physical CPUs. Those CPU cores have to be shared by all the guests, so if there are say 5 starbound servers on that host and all of them are being attacked (and it's easy to sweep a hosting company's IP space searching for Starbound servers with nmap) it'd be pretty easy to force those Starbound servers to consume massive amounts of CPU time. Simply typing in about 10 sets of coordinates will spin the server's CPU for a good 5-10 minutes.

So back to the example of a host with 12 physical CPUs, say there's 50 servers on that, and 4 of them are Starbound servers. If an attacker managed to kick off a bunch of generation on those 4 servers, the physical host node would become CPU starved and flip into credit scheduling, which means that all of the guests on the host node will be given CPU credits which they spend to consume CPU time. These credit cycles happen ridiculously fast, but as a very simple example of this type of scheduling, assume a host with just one 3GHz CPU. If you have two guests on that host, both trying to use 100% of the CPU, both guests will see just short of 1.5GHz worth of compute power. So a possible result of this vulnerability is that an attacker could essentially starve out the CPU resources for 80-100 customers on a host node, causing massively degraded performance for their applications. To give some additional perspective on this, typically these host nodes are running at about 70-80% CPU capacity already, so a single Starbound server being attacked could push a fully loaded host node into credit scheduling.

When I was testing this on a Starbound server I run, I was actually able to force one of my host nodes into credit scheduling by simply attacking the one Starbound server, as that host was already at 70% CPU capacity before the Starbound server was even there.

In the case of a game server hosting company that doesn't use virtualization, it's even more likely that attacking a Starbound server hosted in one of these environments could lag out all of the other game servers on that particular piece of hardware. Game servers tend to be CPU hungry, but not "I'm going to eat up all the CPU resources you can throw at me" hungry, and these GSPs typically use cheaper CPUs with faster clock rates - E3-1270s come to mind, which are basically rebranded quad core i7s, compared to the E5s typically used in virtualization hosts which can scale up to 48 cores per machine (quad socket 12 core) at present. When you've only got 4 cores to begin with, that CPU time becomes extra precious.

12. Sm00thJa22

Sm00thJa22 Aquatic Astronaut

Yeah, same here. It's not that they appear out of sync, it is that the animations are reversed. What is happening is that when the beams come together horizontally (to form a wide, flat X shape) the wrong animation plays and shows them coming together vertically (forming a tall, narrow X shape), and vice-versa. By assuming that the beams were actually moving in the opposite direction from what was shown, I was finally able to finish this dungeon.

Also, the lack of any sort of checkpoint system in that dungeons is ... well, not a bug, but very frustrating.

13. JNFischer30

Windows 7 64 bit
    Upbeat Giraffe
    Minor Graphical Bug
    Feb 03, 2015

I put new walls in my Glitch ship, but there is one block that can not be changed in any way. It's the block right above the mouse pointer.

Glitch Ship Wall bug.jpg

14. Alucard I

Alucard I King Homestuck I

Have you tried removing it?

15. JNFischer30

Yes, I removed every other wall block in the ship.

16. talidos

talidos Big Damn Hero

I think I got a new one.

Version of Starbound you're playing.
    - Beta v. Upbeat Giraffe - Update 2, Protocol: 666
    Bug classification
    - Client-side (?)
    Bug Rating
    Shorten the bug you found into a one or two sentences.Write how you found your bug, maybe it's important too (optional)
    - More info with screenshots on the thread I posted here. The short version is that the second planet I went to has a Floran village where I can no longer mine blocks or items, the world stops loading new chunks, and AI characters get stuck in whatever animation they were doing when things messed up. Beaming to my ship and returning to the planet seems to reset things, but it will still break when I go to the village. I have yet to check out other planets in my starting system, to see if it happens anywhere else.

Edit: I went to another planet (Desert) which just so happened to have another Floran village, and I had zero problems the entire way through.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2015
  17. Presios Saiyan

Presios Saiyan Giant Laser Beams

Version: Upbeat Giraffe - Update 2, Protocol:666

Bug type: Audio/Music

Bug Rating: 1

The music volume will lower itself when encountering a mob, Even it's at 100 it will lower itself. It's pretty annoying for every mob you encounter and the volume gets low even at the max.

18. Emrys Thomas

Emrys Thomas Void-Bound Voyager

:Moderate Bug:
    It would appear that different liquids do not mix in Upbeat giraffe. I absorbed almost all of the water from a pit, and then tried to fill it with healing water. The healing water floated above the water (about 1 block away). When I tried to absorb the healing water, it broke up into floating blocks. See image below: 211820_2015-02-02_00001.png 211820_2015-02-02_00001.png

19. ChrisTehClue

ChrisTehClue Void-Bound Voyager

A friend tried to watch me using Steams Watch thingy, it crashed my game. I tried again after restarting, only to find that the two normal Starbound starting buttons do not work anymore.
    They might of stopped working before this but i only noticed it after the Experimental 64bit version which i started using out of curiousity.
    Now it crashes after 2 minutes of Penguin loading. Before it started crashing, the game got suuuuper laggy.
    Dunno what thats about. Im about to reinstall the game praying that it will fix it..

20. Lancer_Vance

Lancer_Vance Void-Bound Voyager

Not sure if this has been seen/posted yet or not, but occasionally when buddies and I start a party with each other, sometimes (not all the time) the party leader can only teleport to the 3rd, or 4th person's ships, not the guy in the 2nd party member's slot. When mousing over the 2nd character in the group, the group leader sees his own name in place of whomever that character may be. Also, he can only beam to his own ship whilst clicking on the 2nd character's avatar. Out of making 10 parties in just a few minutes, we found that it happens randomly, 6/10 times it happened, the other 4 the party leaders could actually warp to the 2nd party member's ship.

Will try and get a screenshot of it next time, if the game didn't crash every time I tried to take one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.