1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Starbound 1 year later.. Is it enjoyable yet?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by DotBeta, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

Your favorite things were a deadly egg timer (hunger) and getting cold when naked (temperature)?

Okay.

2. SeaJay

SeaJay Space Kumquat

UG also removed a few bosses (robot/dragon/slime), techs (eg. Butterfly/Bubble Boost), and some armor sets.

TrueEdge likes this.
  3. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

While I can understand being disappointed over the removal of Butterfly Boost, the bosses that were removed were boring and overall nonsensical, and the armor sets were more changed than removed. And I doubt any of those would be a "favorite".

Plus, considering the anecdotal observation that pretty much everyone who complains about features that were removed in Upbeat Giraffe are complaining about the removal of hunger and the old temperature system...

4. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

I have a feeling that we might see a couple of the old bosses back, but in missionmissions rather than just a "make a boss summoner" thing.

5. I'm pretty sure they didn't flat out remove any mor sets. Progression isn't complete so I wouldn't count on those bosses being completely gone. As far as techs, some of them were easily exploitable. Who knows, they might come back as well. When you start reorganizing things, do you shove everything into a big pile and work around the mess, or do you silo things first and then work from there?

6. SeaJay

SeaJay Space Kumquat

disclaimer: I don't actually mind about any of the things removed in UG, just pointing them out

Not sure about the armor sets, but didn't Choke Le Fish add a bunch of "removed" sets? I haven't properly looked into it.

The bosses will probably be put back in, sure, but they are still removed. Just like the hunger/temperature mechanics.

As for techs, the blink+energy regen in UG has to be the most exploitable thing ever, so they kind of messed up there, hey. ;)

7. Chaines

Chaines Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I know we can't talk about a release date on the forum, but i'm waiting for this since the beginning because i don't want to play this game in beta mod... Do you think i will ever play this game one day ? I was really anthousiastic about this game back then, i bought it the day they make the pre-order available, and now i come here one time every three month but they don't say much about a final release ever :'(

8. Heartstrings

Heartstrings Giant Laser Beams

This is an opinion that differs among people, so better to play it yourself and find out. I personally enjoy it quite a bit. Get a few mods, if you want, too.

Tamorr likes this.
  9. Corehaven

Corehaven Subatomic Cosmonaut

Sure I liked those things. Removed.

Not to mention the entire variety of the galaxy itself practically removed. At least the last two tiers are nothing but ice planets and fire planets all pretty much offering the same experience. More so the game now has an incredibly linear feel where before it
    felt open and wide.

It's a strange change from building your own progression, and now instead simply getting that progression offered as a quest reward. But again, not that progression is necessarily a good thing. The later half of the game is now dull as a doorknob.

And yea I miss hunger and yea I miss braving the elements of a harsh world, instead of having a goofy invisible tech be a cure all.

Okay?

And I'll just add that to reach end game in Starbound prior to this stable update, it took me a week and half of hard playing to finish the game. Now? THREE DAYS. Easy. That's not an improvement.

Guthrie28 likes this.
  10. Throndir

Throndir Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Going off with what Core said, I finished all the way to end tier a lot faster in the current build than before. Though I think that's mostly in part that it seems the bars required for armor is less?

11. Rudette

Rudette Void-Bound Voyager

I actually do miss the survival mechanics, as crude as some say they were.
    Games like this are absolutely driven by personal goals, big and small.

*Conquer the Elements by gearing up/teching up/building and heating a shelter.
    *Conquer planets by building, teching, fighting, clawing.
    *Tech up, to explore progressively more and more hostile planets and the associated hazards.
    *Conquer hunger by constructing farms.
    *Motivation to play with the new recipes.
    *Mine.
    *Build.
    *Gear up.
    *Do missions.
    *Fight bosses.

Without survival mechanics the exploration side of things feels... Bland.
    Planets aren't quite as chaotic as before and I'm not running into near as many hazards.

There is little reason to stay on that first planet for very long at all. No man vs. wild shenanigans.
    I feel like the meat of it, the sense that the universe is hostile and that it takes effort to conquer it, is gone for the moment.

Now exploration isn't so exciting, feels like dallying around and wasting my time if I'm doing anything but teching up for armor and weapon based progression.
    Which kind of just smacks of APRG or MMO in a way; all progression is centered around combat and combat related item progression.

When exploration isn't awe inspiring and challenging then the motivation, other than finding ores, is gone.
    And for me, exploration was a huge part of the pitch for this game. I feel like right now that aspect of the game suffers.

On the other hand, combat flourishes and we're starting to see a story develop.
    There is a ton of new content to appreciate and accomplish. Kudos.
    And work in progress is work in progress.

I'm not saying survival mechanics should make a comeback as they were--- But I am saying that they should come back as something robust, engaging, immersive, and fine-tuned.
    Those little goals, those little milestones, are oh-so-important for this genre.

Tamorr likes this.
  12. Zhiandra

Zhiandra Void-Bound Voyager

You can also just add mods to the game, that's another option. I'm playing on a friend's server which adds loads of custom races, and new planets to explore (which greatly increases the difficulty cap as well).

If you want more content, there's plenty of mods out there that will give it to you.

13. Corehaven

Corehaven Subatomic Cosmonaut

It might be that. I didn't notice.

What I did notice is that all the end game ores are found on one planet. It used to be that the ores were spread out. One planet had a bunch of rubium for instance. Another planet level would have impervium. Etc etc.

Now they're all clumped together. That certainly makes the game much shorter. But it can't be only that, because I finished the game MUCH faster than I ever have before. I was finished before I knew it.
    But the ore thing certainly contributes.

14. Cazakatari

Cazakatari Void-Bound Voyager

I think the update is certainly an improvement, though considering the time frame still disappointing

I was extremely enthusiastic about the game when I found out, bought copies when pre-order was available. Now every few months I think "Should I try this with friends yet?" Every time I conclude nope, mostly because of my experience with playing the crap out of other unfinished games with my friends. While it helps that the game has new features or is improved, you only get that first impression once.

I wish CF hadn't hyped it all up so much so early in development. I don't know whether it would have led to the game getting finished faster or better, but it would have at least prevented the profound disappointment I and many others feel now

Chaines and Madzai like this.
  15. cooldrewo

cooldrewo Void-Bound Voyager

i got the maximum tier armor and all the instruments in a matter of 2 weeks
    i dont see a point in playing anymore then to waste time'