Dev Blog Starbound 1.2 - Vault Update

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, Dec 15, 2016.

1. Nekobi

Nekobi Void-Bound Voyager

Tested it when it was updated on the stable branch like yesterday, at first the Vaults were awfully laggy... Impossible to play!
    But now that I've launched the game today, the game was running smoothly and nicely, I was so happy about this, finally I could play this game normally...!

However...
    When I launched the game, my ship was travelling to a random unknown lush planet... The progression of my save has been destroyed. The Outpost was like at the beginning, every shops closed, no main quests completed (I finished the game with this save before). Nothing.
    Okay... Remain calm... I still can redo the main story with the help of a /admin... I could.
    But all my bookmarks and teleporter bookmarks were gone. I'm on a complete random planet, so far from the ones I constructed on before. Impossible to find the coordinates of my planets, so much they're complicated.
    I had no way to find my planets back.

I tried to backup, with an old save I made a long time ago... The bookmarks are here, but what I build is not there (logic, it's a backup), but as I was tired, I destroyed the universe file where the buildings should be... Then I tried to recover it. Impossible. I haven't thought of making a backup after buidling since the game shouldn't do those things... Okay it's a bit of my fault, I erased the file by accident, but those bugs should not be happening. I shouldn't tinker with my files to recover bookmarks, numbers in a file... And as I'm just a novice in files tinkering...
    I lost a lot of nice buildings I've made on which I took such a long time to make. I'm really upset and sad...
    This is the second time it happened to me... The first time I was able to redo the progression (huuuuh it was boring and long) and find back my planets, but not today.

I don't know how this game work, it's weird... Like, my computer crashed and is a bit laggy (the game wasn't even open when it crashed, wtf), so the progression and the bookmarks stored in a file would disappear on the save? Why? How could the ENTIRE progression and bookmarks be gone like this for... No apparent reason? Seriously, I don't understand. I don't want to play it anymore. It's a shame, with the lags and freezes gone, I could have a lot of fun...

Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
  2. maxneutron

maxneutron Void-Bound Voyager

I would like to bring to everybody's attention that the upgraded gnome gun gets a little crown and it's incredible.

Gurfern and DragonsForce like this.
  3. Stan1012

Stan1012 Seal Broken

What happened to the garden tool crafting station and all this decorations?! I had a really cool house and came to find it half empty after this update leaving it dull and barren. Bring the natural decorations back Chuckle Fish!!!

4. AngelusNox

AngelusNox Void-Bound Voyager

I honestly have to ask this (*and i am sorry).
    But what is this update good for? I really was exited for terraforming and upgradable weapons ...

Booth things are very expensive and hard to get ... and are really pointless.
    I already have much better randomly generated weapons than the upgraded ones - it's just pointless. When i saw that i can only upgrade purple non lvl 6 Weapons i was like "WHY THOUGH?!".
    Also upgrading the weapons after beating the most difficult bosses in the game makes it even more pointless. i mean think of it. In Zelda Games, Link gets the Master Sword before beating Ganon.

And Terraforming is exactly the same, it has no purpose at all AND it's done badly! The opportunities totally missed.
    In my mind the Terraformer interface should have had slots for Pets, Seeds and Tiles. So you as a player can decide what your planet you have spend so much time gathering resources for is going to look like,choosing trees, tiles and creatures who live there.

Booth features seem to ad nothing to this game and are an end in itself, in my mind. This update seems to be so aimless and left me very sad and confused ...

Last edited: Dec 17, 2016
    Nekobi and Kelthazan like this.
  5. freezoid

freezoid Void-Bound Voyager

Well I also hope for some bigger update that will affect whole game. Not just add something to its end.
    Game's performance update is also really needed here. This game should work well on low end computers with it's graphics and mechanics... but it's just too heavy right now!
    I feel this game has a lot of potential. Hope it will grow a lot bigger than it is now.

Still, dev team is doing great job and keep it up! :nuruhappy:

Nekobi likes this.
  6. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

@freezoid: You'd think with graphics like that, low end systems would suffice. But consider that unlike most games from the past 10 or so years, Starbound renders all its graphics on the CPU, because of the lighting. The GPU doesn't get involved until it's time to display the one single screen image. Compare this with Terraria which, as a (sloppily written) XNA game, renders everything on GPU, but also has a way different light system.

And it's far, faaar too late now to replace SB's light system and thus allow GPU rendering. Which is admittedly kind of a shame.

I just have to wonder what, in your opinion, constitutes "low end" because it runs fine on my 3+ year old laptop. And don't forget vendor crapware clogging things up!

Ainzoal likes this.
  7. Firebird Zoom

Firebird Zoom Oxygen Tank

People seem to be raging here. I'm glad my steam account is broken.

8. Scival

Scival Oxygen Tank

When the game updates, it generates a new universe file. Which is new, so it doesn't like
    have all of the stuff that was on the other one.

Firebird Zoom likes this.
  9. Crossfang

Crossfang Supernova

This is why I love this game so much!

10. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

That is called an expansion. A simple update patch won't add a whole lot in the way of content.

11. BKGaming

BKGaming Space Spelunker

If they can access the Galaxy SDK then should be able to push updates at the same time on Galaxy as they can on Steam (manual standalone installers will still be slow, GOG test these and manually puts them on the site. It's the weekend and most of GOG is off on the weekend). GOG last stated they were rolling this out to developers slowly. Since none of the dev's working with Chucklefish have Galaxy achievements, etc in their games then it's possible that none have access to the Galaxy API or simply haven't updated their games to use it.

It would be nice to know if they can use it though... I for one would like to see Galaxy features like faster updates and achievements for Starbound (as well as Stardew Valley) added to the GOG release.

12. Elowiny

Elowiny Void-Bound Voyager

Probably a stupid question, but where exactly is that mysterious trader they added in the outpost? I've beaten the Ruin (3 times), but I didn't get a quest. Is it because I'm using a bazillion mods (Including Frackin' Universe) ? Should I start a clean save to benefit from the new features?

13. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

He's a hooded man who is (at least in my game) on the second floor of the outpost, in the computer room above the room with the teleporter shop.

Sylxeria likes this.
  14. Elowiny

Oh, that's where the chest creating machine from the Enhanced Storage mod is. I guess I'll have to uninstall it. Thanks for your answer!
    However, do you know the technical name for this NPC so that I can spawn it with console commands? (Uninstalling Enhanced Storages causes a BIG mess)

15. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

No idea, sorry. They don't have a page on the wiki, which is usually a good way of finding technical names.

16. LiborTheOne

LiborTheOne Space Hobo

Are you serious?
    Version "1.2" and still no way to play it in real life conditions where we (6+) all don't have continuous hours of free time.
    So on behalf of all working or studying want-to-be players of Starbound:
    WHERE IS THE PAUSE BUTTON???

Nekobi likes this.
  17. Elowiny

I could guess the trader's technical name from his name in the game. Is he referred to as "???", "Mysterious Man" or something along these lines?

18. Nekobi

Nekobi Void-Bound Voyager

Well, when I played in 1.1 for the first time this bug didn't happen at all, while it happened in the early 1.0... Weird.

I just want the staff to correct it, this bug is very annoying and game-breaking, at least for preventing other people that could have it.

19. gameboytj

gameboytj Ketchup Robot

I wish this game could use the GPU a little more, all i have for a CPU is an FX 6300... (3 core physical so it's going to perform badly during heavy usage)

20. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

I'm just gonna quote myself here okay?