1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

Outdated Star Wars in Starbound 0.5.4b

Various Tech Items, Armors, Races, and more from the Star Wars Universe!

1. arrjaytea

arrjaytea Sandwich Man

arrjaytea updated Star Wars Gear Mod with a new update entry:

Two New Sprite Sets, Force Lightning Added

Read the rest of this update entry...

2. pmbonomi

pmbonomi Void-Bound Voyager

Awesome mod! Some requests:
    ewok costume.
    more realistic speeder (i.e. less height, less flying, more hovering)
    snow speeder, for those cold planets
    slow energy use when using jetpacks.

Have you given any thought to making Star Wars races, with their own race pros and cons?

arrjaytea likes this.
  3. arrjaytea

arrjaytea Sandwich Man

The Ewok and race question are one in the same - and definitely on my mind, but I don't plan on implementing them until after the next patch, at least. Races will absolutely be a part of this, though - at least I intend them to be.

In terms of the "more realistic speeder", I'm not sure what you mean by "less height/more hovering" - if you could expand on that, it would be well appreciated. If "less height" just means it can't ascend as far, that's definitely something I want to take a look at - and one of the biggest criticisms of the speeder so far. Not entirely sure I can make it hover any more than it already does though...

As far as "less flying" goes - basically if you take out the flight mechanic, the speeder will become pretty much useless the second you run into any sort of terrain elevation. I've tried to tone it down a bit, but removing it entirely probably renders the speeder completely worthless as an item in the first place.

Thanks for the thoughts!

4. arrjaytea

arrjaytea Sandwich Man

Also, for any users having problems with the mod - if you could please post your starbound.log so I can take a look at it, that's going to be the best way to help me help you :)

5. Amberes

Amberes Void-Bound Voyager

Hmm in my enthousiasm I already rated this mod 5 stars! ;-)

But I can't get it to work either. I tried another mod just in case (AntiHairMod) and that works just fine.... :(

6. pmbonomi

Hmm, well, I was thinking if creating a race is more work, just having ewok "helmet" and such could at least give one the look of one. But hey, race, yes please! :)

Can I also get a +1 for easily killable jar jar NPCs? :)

I meant for the speeder to have a max "jump height" or whatever you call it, like the jump boost will only let you jump so high, the speeder is more of a speeder if it can fly as high as ground level + 20 pixels. But I'm guessing with hovering/flying it's either all or nothing. Not sure how much the engine/lua let you tinker.

Thanks for your feedback either way :)

arrjaytea likes this.
  7. arrjaytea

arrjaytea Sandwich Man

Really appreciate the thoughts here m8.

As far as the Ewoks go - it's kind of similar to the Wookie thing, I'm a little concerned about having Ewoks and Wookies walking around at the same height. I'm hopeful I'll be able to accomplish some height differentials with race - but to be honest, I'm not super sure if that's even a possibility.

Super, super huge heads up on the notion of a maximum jump height. I hadn't even thought about trying to see if there was something I could work out there.

Again, thanks for taking the time to flesh this out a bit more. That's definitely the only way I can manage to improve this thing - and detailed thoughts really, really help. :)

8. arrjaytea

arrjaytea Sandwich Man

Heh - gotcha! Can you post me up your starbound.log file so I can have a look at what might be happening here? :)

I'm definitely willing to help any of you guys having issues troubleshoot - but really, really need as much information as possible. With the mod working for the overwhelming majority of users, I'm hoping the issue stems from something simple - but I just can't know exactly how your install, machine, etc. are setup without a lot of info.

tl;dr: "It doesn't work" just isn't enough info for me to help.

Also, and I've definitely waited to post this here because I didn't want to offend anyone, but today alone I've replied to three users who've made this mistake:

The only folder that goes into your mod directory is StarWarsArmorMod. If you are extracting the zip and moving the extracted folder to your mods file, it will not work. Period. This is all on the mod page itself, as well as in the readme file included with the mod.

Sorry for the super loud text, but I'm getting close to not responding to "it doesn't work" messages (which I really don't want to do). There have just been too many people who clearly did not read the directions, but I would hate for someone who is truly struggling to get it working not to get the help they need.

So yeah.

9. pmbonomi

Ah yes, hadn't thought of the height differences. Perhaps a future patch will enable height differences in races. Optionally, Tiny Death Star has used some tricks to use similar-height sprites, example:
    [​IMG]

Not ideal, but I thought maybe it'll spark some inspiration.

More ideas: the game already has pushback functionality, so how about force push abilities? I also remember seeing a mod here (sorry, don't remember the name) which said something about stopping NPCs in their tracks. If there is scripting functionality for stopping NPCs, perhaps some kind of force lightning ability that adds a sparks effect and stops a NPC for x seconds?

Did you give any thought to lightsabers being able to cut through material? Was there already a mod that mentioned adding spawnable crystals that can be used with metal to create lightsabers? Are you talking to the sw weapons mod creator?

Sorry, my mind gets going when it comes to SW..

10. arrjaytea

arrjaytea Sandwich Man

Heh, actually TDS was the first thing that came to mind when I started this!

The problem I've run into is that the only body part you can really make "smaller" is the head (via a mask). If I could use masks on other parts, I don't think it'd be an issue to do it all as armor, but that's unfortunately not supported now. I do think if I (or anyone) was clever/willing to sort it out, it could probably be accomplished with some trickery. I've just not tried down that path yet.

srecinto is the creator of the SW weapons mod, and he and I have been talking about merging our mods for a few weeks now - unfortunately we both work full time in development and IT, so it's been some seriously slow sledding in term so of orchestrating that. TBH, I just haven't made the time. We'll get on it - and both are definitely going to move forward (I actually did the crafting table sprite and animation for the SW weapons mod).

And brother - no need to apologize - same thing happens for me, and like I said, this kind of brainstorming is what will inevitably push the mod forward.

Even if I'm the only individual designing, coding, and packaging the mod - it's still going to be a reflection of the thoughtful input from users like you.

So please never feel like by suggesting something it'll bother me - it's quite the opposite: I see it as maybe one of the highest compliments I can receive.

If people are enjoying this enough that they want to help make it better, that is absolutely awesome. :)

pmbonomi likes this.
  11. Amberes

Well the starbound.log file will only update when I can actually run the game.

I can't start the game when I load your mod, I get an error with 'bad object, should be "," or "}" at 1:108 and so on...

12. arrjaytea

arrjaytea Sandwich Man

That could actually prove super helpful. Thank you for hooking up the error. :)

Stay tuned man - I'll see if I can sort out where I went wrong. Just sitting down to work on it anyway, may as well start here.

Update:

Good news: I found (and fixed) some invalid JSON.

Bad News: It wasn't this.... Yet.

Spending the evening running my files through a validator and seeing what comes up. 99% of what I've checked so far has been fine - but I'm hoping this issue can be fixed in short order. :)

Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
  13. middlemandown

middlemandown Seal Broken

exact same issue i ran into

arrjaytea likes this.
  14. arrjaytea

arrjaytea Sandwich Man

Well, it actually looks like this might have been it. It comes out at different lines based on different validators I've used - and it was the only JSON error in the package (just ran every file).

I'm also fixing/trimming the file hierarchy to better prepare for how much content I hope will be added. Testing before I upload anything else, but there should at the very least be a bugfix package for you to try tonight.

15. arrjaytea

arrjaytea Sandwich Man

Dammit. :wut:

Maybe not. I've officially rendered Starbound unopenable on my laptop.

So now it's onto crash reports. Sorry duders. Trying to sort this out.

16. middlemandown

no worries, man we are in this together

arrjaytea likes this.
  17. arrjaytea

arrjaytea Sandwich Man

Alright, so here's a question: what OS are those of you with issues running?

18. middlemandown

windows 8 64bit

arrjaytea likes this.
  19. Amberes

Win 7 32bit

20. arrjaytea

arrjaytea Sandwich Man

Welp, that rules that out. I thought there might be a common thread here - but three of us, three different (sorta) OS's. I'm on OSX 10.9.1, but for sure just ran into the same issue as you guys.

I've got an idea, but it's anecdotal and a little long - so I apologize, but looking for input. tl;dr below

I'm going to upload a package in a minute here that's worth trying. Here's what happened/why I'm trying it:

In trying to condense the file hierarchy earlier, I did something (still not perfectly sure) that rendered Starbound unopenable even after removing all mods, and resetting players/universes.

So I uninstalled, reinstalled, did a permissions repair, and went to open Starbound up. Ran fine.

I installed the Creative Mode Mod as well as the last package I uploaded here (which was working on my machine last night/earlier today), and suddenly the same issue cropped up for me (game wouldn't launch, crash report, etc.). This time, as soon as I removed the Star Wars Armor Mod, Starbound opened back up no problemo.

So I rebuilt the mod from the previous package and one by one added back the new armor sets, and then force lightning, from the 0.2.1b update.

And all of a sudden everything worked fine.

tl;dr:
    I believe something is getting jacked up in the compression process here, but can't for the life of me figure out what. I've tried to be sure to remove Mac resource forks and all that, but I'm going to reup the files I have working for me right now and hopefully that might help some of you out.

Edit: Will also contain the invalid JSON fix in speederbike.tech