1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Star-map tiers are...lame

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by NeedsLoomis, Dec 11, 2013.

1. Ex Fide Fortis

Ex Fide Fortis Tentacle Wrangler

Brilliant suggestions OP. My thoughts exactly. The game should let the player craft their own experience; to boldly go where no man has gone before at their own discretion, as the captain of their own ship, and to be able to choose to risk it all or play it safe as they see fit. Not to boldly be railroaded up 10 generic tiers of generically increasing difficulty. I want to be able to land on a planet as soon as I have the fuel to fly there (if I so choose) and find I am absolutely unable to survive there, and having to make a note of it, leave, and come back more prepared.

The possibilities for this sort of a system are endless! The radiation is too strong, I'll need a suit with better protection. The atmosphere is un-breathable, I'll need a closed respiratory system. The planet is too hot, I'll need a coolant system. The rain is acidic, and so on and so forth.

Another note, difficulty level does not need to be tied to reward level. There should be some correlation but not to the point where you know that dangerous planet = amazing loot. Where is the exploration in that? You should be able to scan the planet, get a general idea of what is there, and then actually have to beam down into the unknown! Not say, "Ah it's a planet near the sun with little atmosphere, the radiation levels will be through the roof, dangerous to be sure but I am guaranteed amazing loot!" You should, for the sake of gameplay realize there is probably something valuable down there, but you shouldn't know for sure. You need to actually explore it to be sure.

How to practically implement this? Scrap the idea that each new sector is arbitrarily more difficult, and limit the difficulty of each planet be determined individually, regardless of sector, the only guarantee being your starter planet will be manageable for a starting character.

2. TalentedMrWulf

TalentedMrWulf Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Once hostile biomes (no breathable atmosphere, etc.) are implemented, the whole "dig straight down" exploit doesn't work so well. The thought of having tier 10 in orbit with my tier 1 lets me see a goal. One that, with properly implemented features, won't just be a bumrush to the best gear instanty.

Ex Fide Fortis likes this.
  3. 331

331 Tentacle Wrangler

im definitly supporting this thread maker, this game has so much MORE potential :)

4. NFossil

NFossil Phantasmal Quasar

I'd rather give more rewards to more skilled players than limiting the possibility for the less skilled players to fail.

Sorry I didn't express this correctly last time. I meant it doesn't make sense geographically (or whatever the astronomical equivalent might be) to have only planets of the same threat level together in the same piece of space. Better to mix up a bit. However, I agree that more dangerous biomes can be added as threat levels go up, just because they're more... threatening and people describe them as so.

Perhaps digging enemies like the Terraria worms?

Ex Fide Fortis likes this.
  5. MadRhetoric

MadRhetoric Poptop Tamer

I think this is the best possible implementation. Everyone should remember that Terraria took place in just a single world, but no one "bum rushed" anything because the game mechanics created organic progression. I think the fact that even the lowest tier pickaxe can break any block given time is the problem. If they required higher level tools to break stronger blocks like Terraria there would be no reason for the sector system anymore. It would also make areas like the Apex testing facilities much more enjoyable. Currently, you can just dig straight to the tech even with a stone pickaxe. It would be better if there was more choice here. Do I attempt this difficult platforming segment, or just wait until I have a pick that's strong enough to actually break through the titanium blocks that make up the walls? Currently the only reason to actually complete the jumping challenge is for personal challenge, but much of the satisfaction is lost knowing that you're forcing it upon yourself for no real reason.

6. Ex Fide Fortis

Ex Fide Fortis Tentacle Wrangler

That is the phrase I was looking for "organic progression", thank you. That is exactly what this game should be based on, organic progression.

TalentedMrWulf likes this.
  7. Brannoncyll

Brannoncyll Subatomic Cosmonaut

I think the OP's idea is great. Don't get me wrong, I am enjoying the game but right now I feel that it is too similar to Terraria but where every time you get a new tier of armour the world regenerates. Combine the OP's idea with some method to fast (and cheap) travel to previously visited planets will allow us to build up a network of cool places that we get attached to, rather than just throwing them away.

8. Regal Kain

Regal Kain Space Kumquat

While I agree in-part with this post. As I'd personally like to see Tier pickaxes as well to go with blocks, I'd prefer to keep the Sector system, and to keep biomes added in slowly as you go, instead of have them all present at the start. That said, things like the jump challenge, won't be abuseable at full release as it counts as a dungeon, and there will be a dungeon protection block in place at full release, that stops you from placing/breaking blocks within it's protective zone. ^_^

9. Voqar

Voqar Industrial Terraformer

I like the note, bookmark, and fog ideas the OP mentions. The current star map is kind of brutal in size and lack of ways to keep track of things.

I also think the current system is both a bit bland and the artificial tier thing is a bit wonky - i'm all for bosses but I'd rather they be things to work towards and/or encounter rather than barriers on progress themselves.

I agree.

10. NFossil

NFossil Phantasmal Quasar

Don't.
    As long as exploits are difficult enough, let the more skilled players who are willing to do so "box their way to high tier items", and let the less skilled players fail in doing so.

cosmictruffle and Ex Fide Fortis like this.
  11. hurrycaner

hurrycaner Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Imo, its ok to put bosses to unlock new technology, but why sectors? I would like to be free to explore the universe as i will...
    I don't like the idea of sectors, and the thing about setting notes is nice... something like scanning planets could be nice too...

I know this is a beta (first stage), but when i bought the game, i was thinking that i was going to start in a lvl 1 planet and the moon of this planet could be lvl 49... no planet lvl restriction, this last update is even worst, all planets are lvl 1 in sector alpha, totally annoying.. :(

They could also improve the tutorial quests to teach us about the game mechanics like food, health, energy, air (in water and in moon biomes), cold and heat, crafting, ores... those initial quests are lame...
    Other thing that bothers me is the fact that planets features are already set... there is no randomness on structures in the planets... i dont like to see ppl saying "do you want guns? go to the planet at this coords"... would be nice if the universe in this game would be really random... like minecraft worlds!!

12. Kolache

Kolache Astral Cartographer

Seems like a great idea to me. I'd probably just go with 3 generic ratings for planets to give you an idea what sort of challenge you'd face before you bothered to spend fuel to go there... Something simple like changing 1-10 to: green=within +/- 1 level, grey=2 or more levels under you, red=2 or more levels above you.

IMO it'd also be cool to decrease the fuel cost to return to planets you've already been to. Once they start regenerating their resources it would really make your fog/note exploration system into more of a "this is my galaxy" sorta feel.

Related to my own personal tangent, I like lateral progression a lot more than linear. I'd rather have multiple different suits of armor that I want to wear for different reasons for 3 tiers than 10 tiers of progressively, sequentially better armor. Same goes with weapons. Variety is cooler than better math.

NFossil likes this.
  13. RitsuHasano

RitsuHasano Existential Complex

I really like the idea of everything in one 'universe'. The idea of sectors as they currently are does tend to take away certain aspects in general. As much as I'd like to see 'one universe' (Possibly with sectors/areas INSIDE that universe instead of seperate areas), the cynical side of me is rearing its head and believes it'll probably never happen, and that I shouldn't get any hopes up.

The cynical side of me is a jerk.

cosmictruffle likes this.
  14. msweid

msweid Aquatic Astronaut

Just want to add my support to the OP's idea and keep this thread bumped. Let's all support this! Maybe we'll see it done!

*Edit

I just want to add that honestly I personally don't care even if some planets are "blocked" until certain criteria are met (bosses), at which point they open up and are accessible. I just would really like to have only one map, and the ability to "Track" my travels across the galaxy, making notes, and changing planet names...

ALSO - The further the stars, the more the fuel you will need to travel to them (also the possibility of tech ship upgrades to allow you to travel further / cheaper...???). Going home should always be free...

... all of these things will make you feel like the universe has more substance and you are on a real adventure...

Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
    NeedsLoomis likes this.
  15. Cirom

Cirom Cosmic Narwhal

The OP's idea is what I originally thought that it would work like - and what I HOPED it would work like. It literally feels like there are 10 different "universes" at the moment, and that feels a bit.. odd. (Well 9 universes, as Delta and Gamma use the same starmap atm so it's a little weird :T)

16. Mamachew

Mamachew Tentacle Wrangler

Don't know if anyone has played SPAZ, but I think what we're working towards is something I think they did very well -->

[​IMG]

While they have it so you can only travel via connected star systems, I like the idea of working towards something. I appreciate the tiers, the bosses and progression. I still see it as each sector only changes in terms of monster difficulty (and ore), nothing else is unique. A randomly generated planet in alpha is the same (for all intent and purpose) as one in gamma.

Yes I know it's beta.

*edit*

It's strange to have a massive procedurally generated universe, then need to move on to a second one (only seeing MAYBE 1%) that is just another massive procedurally generated universe.

NeedsLoomis and Quenton like this.
  17. diegopau

diegopau Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I totally support this idea too! Maybe we need a poll to make it clear that most of us want this to be done this way?? I want to explore a universe, and reaching every new planet should be something challeging and exciting, but then its yours and it has a meaning to keep your base there (if you move to another sector or if it is so easy to move from planet to planet what is the meaning of building a base in a planet??). It should be hard to travel to a far away planet, instead you are "conquering" the universe planet a planet (like probably humanity will do some time in the future), travelling first to the neighbours, avoiding the hardes ones and travels that you just can't land cause you dont have the technology yet (too cold, too much gravity, very toxic atmosfere, giant monsters, etc.). The maps as OP's described would be really perfect!.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
    NeedsLoomis and Ex Fide Fortis like this.
  18. Lurotan

Lurotan Void-Bound Voyager

Hello there. Just wanted to say that this is a GREAT idea, and the devs should really look into considering some or all of these ideas in game!

One of the main problems I've had with my progression is the lack of a satisfaction in my exploration. Each new sector involves a new area of space. What's the point of having "Set Home" and "Go Home" buttons if each plateau of progression forces you to move to a whole new area of space? There's just not very much satisfaction for me in going to a new sector and seeing all the different stars I could go to, and feeling like it has no meaning whatsoever to what star to go to. Every single one is the same, maybe just a few more snow planets here or a desert planet or two there. There is nothing that's holding me to any part of the new space as it all looks the same. Put yourself in the shoes of your character. If you set a home planet, how much more likely would you be to fly aaaalll the way to some new sector of space to explore than to stay near your home planet and "claim" a region of space as you fully explore the areas around your home? How awesome would it be to have a goal of "claiming" a constellation or other group of stars as your own as you, over time, are able to settle and explore on each planet around your home base? That way you become more attached to your home base and can have more incentive to build a large base of operations that you can easily go back to since it's always just a few stars away from where you are now. I just feel like this proposal is a better representation of how a space explorer would explore space, and fully support it!

NeedsLoomis and Rylyn like this.
  19. Axiege

Axiege Master Chief

I am not against the bosses blocking access to different sectors, and that becoming the way tiering works. I do however miss the variable planet levels greatly, and would like to propose an addition to that system. I would like to see the average level of planets in higher-tiered sectors go up. I would love to randomly find a super awesome level 20 planet in the Alpha Sector, and bookmark it or whatever to make sure I come bck when I'm properly geared up. It could even go as far as making the outlier-level planets for each sector be better, having more value determined by more structures, settlements, a better chance of finding a tech, thingslike that. Then proper tiering on picks on top of that would prevent you from dropping on that planet and digging straight down, you wouldn't be able to break a single block.

Brannoncyll and NeedsLoomis like this.
  20. Kayote

Kayote Phantasmal Quasar

Ok thinking on this and the idea of tiered gear, well it works.

To prove that it works I will use the Snow Infantry armor. In the current model the Snow Infantry armor is a cheap and powerful tier 1 armor that allows you to traverse colder moon and snow planets. The problem with the current system is that as we move onto the beta, gamma, and delta sectors there are still snow and moon planets as well as tundra planets but there is no tier 2 or 3 Snow Infantry armor. Because of this these planets become less and less appealing to go to as the character is forced with a choice. Either they must put on an armor that will make it so creatures can one shot him (a really bad game design and something you never want in a game) or they keep their old armor on and are forced to stop every 10 seconds, throw down a camp fire or a couple of torches and wait. Or they can freeze to death.

Under the current system past alpha sector and maybe beta there is no want or desire to go to a colder world.

Now if cold weather gear was a tier of gear and all snow/tundra worlds were set to that tier of power it would balance out better.