1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Star-map tiers are...lame

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by NeedsLoomis, Dec 11, 2013.

1. ninjabread

ninjabread Void-Bound Voyager

I agree that the current tiering system isn't great, or what I expected, and from an evolutionary standpoint the system proposed here makes perfect sense, a tough environment would ensure tougher wildlife, a land of blizzards and snow would be littered with the corpses of animals who weren't the best of the best and survivors would ensure the next generation remained strong, a toxic jungle would be populated with creatures of ridiculous immunities and a gruesome battlefield in a constant competition between alien creatures for food, as for moons, well I only know of one creature that can survive without oxygen, the ultimate prey, the xenomorph.

NeedsLoomis likes this.
  2. Kayote

Kayote Phantasmal Quasar

I love this idea, having the bosses instead have that key component you need to travel to a harsher world instead of allowing you to go to another sector where there are a handful of different types of worlds to explore. It would give more feeling to the universe you're in, and it would be hell to balance.

As always let's think of the worst case scenario in the game, you've gone to a new solar system and forgot that you didn't have enough fuel to get out. The planet you're on RNGed low coal and is one of those planets that has little in the ways of trees. Your game has now come to a screeching halt. The one thing that the developers don't want to have happen to the game. You have planets around you but they are either going to kill you instantly or have monsters so powerful that they can one shot you. What do you do? what ever your choice is I doubt you'd call it "fun"

Then there is the question of if forests are considered tier 1 worlds why would I ever want to return to them after I've gotten tier 2? anything that drops in a tier 1 world save for tech and resources will be vastly inferior to tier 2 or higher worlds.

Again I love this idea, but how would you go for balancing it. If I drop into a solar system with a lot of tier 2 worlds, why would I want to go to the tier 1 world in it?

3. Joeydawg

Joeydawg Poptop Tamer

100% agree OP, sectors kinda suck. That being said there needs to be some way to prevent low level players from landing on a max level planet and cheekily snagging a chest at spawn before they are torn apart. Maybe that's where more in depth ship upgrades come in?

4. Omegnarok

Omegnarok Scruffy Nerf-Herder

you could limit which resources appear in higher tier worlds making the lower tiered planets important at later tiers for materials that won't be available, while still keeping the highest tiered worlds relevant with materials exclusive to it.

in short: Planetary biome exclusive materials necessary for further progression.

5. Xellas84

Xellas84 Space Hobo

I like that idea. Only certain biomes have stuff, similar to how crystal only shows up in crystal biomes, but more extensive. That way even if you do have a previous low-tier planet, you might want to go back for specific materials.

6. Kraze

Kraze Tentacle Wrangler

hell yes! brilliant idea.. bump!

7. Hexerin

Hexerin Existential Complex

i really like this idea.

8. Milata

Milata Big Damn Hero

In order to encourage exploration and stuff, it shouldn't tell you if there's a weapons merchant, Maybe just "A Merchant" or "A Settlement" or "A Dungeon" or "Large Amount of Rare Ore" Nothing to specific.

9. GSGregory

GSGregory Ketchup Robot

You are not forced or required to go beyond the alpha sector.

Want all biomes and tiers in the alpha sector? Takes 2 minutes tops to edit the celestial.config.

10. Milata

Milata Big Damn Hero

As much as I like modding, I don't think I'll mod the game until full release, My last mod was balancing the game my self during the Annoyed Koala, 2 hours later they fixed it them selves. and I wasted a few hours of my time.

11. Omegnarok

ikr, why band-aid when you have the surgeon right there!

Milata likes this.
  12. GSGregory

GSGregory Ketchup Robot

All this takes is changing a 1 to a 10 and adding in the other biome names.

13. Milata

Milata Big Damn Hero

what if they patch it and do the same thing within 20 seconds of me modding the files, I'd have wasted 2 minutes of my life.

14. GSGregory

GSGregory Ketchup Robot

You are playing a game and posting on these forums. Too late.

15. OobleckTheGreen

OobleckTheGreen Space Kumquat

Totally on board with the OP's comments. Great post.

16. Milata

Milata Big Damn Hero

if People can play sport and meet people in bars and be content with their life, I can play video games and discuss them with human beings and feel like a god.

17. GSGregory

GSGregory Ketchup Robot

You also cannot whine about having to waste your time.

18. Omegnarok

"Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted." - John Lennon

19. Milata

Milata Big Damn Hero

I enjoy complaining about anything.

20. leifanator

leifanator Void-Bound Voyager

Could not have worded it better.

Exploring > unlocking